RSS Feed Print
Easy cleaning and oragnizing tips?
llee08032
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2018 10:16 AM

Anyone?  Below are some of mine. Anything to make life cleaner, more organized and easier is my aim. If we've done this before please bear with me.

Keep Clorox wipes handy in the bathroom and kitchen. If it's there you are more likely to use them. They work great for fast and in-between cleanups in the sink and toilet.

Clean your sinks. I just know it makes feel clean even when the rest of the house is messy and it motivates me to do more cleaning. Thank you,  Iris and the Fly lady.

Big boxes with nice designs are good for storing photos.

Baskets in all sizes are nice for storing mail, gadgets, and stuff you may throw away later.

Good vacuums are a must and a good investment. A cordless stick vacuum when you don't feel like dragging out the big vacuum and being confined to a plug is a motivator. Make sure your cordless stick vacuum can be turned into a hand held vac for quick pick ups, stairs and upholstery.  I have a stick, a Roomba and Hoover Wind Tunnel. Did you know the Roomba can clean under the bed and under high furniture as well. It is pricey but a good investment.

You should have a vacuum (even if it's an old used one) and cleaning tools and supplies on every floor. Your more likely to clean if everything is there at your fingertips.

More to come...

Andrew60
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2018 11:27 AM

Good information, and I hate cleaning but do it anyways to help my wife. With her MS, it zaps her energy to vacuum, so for the last several years, I do this chore plus some laundry. Only problem is she has to remind me to do this or I will not even think about it. We also use a roomba, and we are getting ready to upgrade the roomba for one that specializes in dog hair. My little Buddy leaves hair everywhere.

I like an organized house, with everything having its own place, which makes it easier for me to track where everything is.

If I put crumbs on the kitchen floor, then Buddy licks the entire floor, does that count as mopping?

jfkoc
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2018 12:55 PM

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004T30X6K?tag=shoppingstoresco-20

this is my very best "organization tool".  Mail comes in, I open and file immediately or throw away. It rolls from room to room. 

I keep files, computer paper, paper clips, stapler, stationary/stamps. I use the legal size since is easier to slip stuff unto..

Bank and  credit card statements, to do, correspondence, Ancestry, bills payable and files for each child and grandchild since I manage some of   their financial things.

My old one is probably over 5 year old. My second  one has just arrived.

I use multiples. Clorox wipes in each bathroom, extra toilet paper in each bathroom on stick like thing that holds several rolls then  makes a right angle at the top for the current roll. 

llee08032
Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2018 6:10 AM

Lol, Andrew. Buddy's sticky slobber does not count as a floor mopping.

I love the mesh file cart and am headed to the container store website.

Ps: had a problem with stink bugs a couple weeks ago getting in the house and climbing on the windows outside. Sprayed some essential peppermint oil around the metal molding and now they are gone! Might need another application but well worth it.

Jo C.
Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2018 9:13 AM

Clutter is our absolute enemy. It can make us feel very unsettled, can affect our mood, reminds us over and over and over nagging at us that we have a mess to take care of. 

So; no clutter as much as possible.  Throw away unwanted mail and advertisements immediately when taking it into the house.   Throw away old magazines; if you want an article or recipe from a magazine, cut it out and throw away the rest. Throw away the newspaper as soon as read.   Have a specific place to put mail that needs to be kept until handled and a file for items needing long term saving.

Don't use tabletops for a catchall place filled with papers, boxes and other items; they really get filled fast, adds big time to clutter, looks awful and makes us feel antsy and unsettled.  Very unrestful.

If difficult to keep things in order, buy some nice baskets (preferably square) and one can designate each basket for a particular set of items.   Put small basket under end table or a smaller one on top of end table to hold TV and fan remote controls, ink pen, paper and pad, etc.  Can put one near entry door to catch keys, etc.  I have some baskets in the family room under tables; I have to remember to clean them out from time to time as they too get cluttered and get filled up.

If you have a two story home, you can get a basket with a handle to put on the landing of the stairs to put things in and to carry items up and down.

I like the Endust products with electrostatic duster that slides onto a handle . . . this picks up dust like crazy and are so easy to use; also small enough one can keep one tucked away out of sight in each room if one wishes; just be sure to change cleaning duster off handle when dirty or it defeats their purpose and they will not work as well.

Gloves or even old heavy cotton socks put over one's hand(s) can be used for dusting when moving around the rooms.

Don't think of the entire house in one huge cleaning problem or it is overwhelming.  For full-on cleaning, one room at a time, and go clockwise or counterclockwise in doing stuff, etc. 

Also keep clutter off of kitchen countertops . . . put items away in pantry or cupboard; if small appliances are not needed often, find a place for them in a cabinet . . . it looks and feels so much better and is much easier to clean in the kitchen.

If you have a dish washer, never leave dirty dishes in the sink or on countertop; rinse them and put them in the dish washer right away.  Takes a few seconds and looks so much better and is healthier.

If no dishwasher, then rinse plates and all very well and leave stacked in sink until you can wash . . . however, if one uses a quick wash of a few items right away, it takes away that onus of still having that stuff waiting for you.

Rule:  Never leave dirty dishes and cups on end tables or coffee table when going to bed at night . . . rinse, put in dishwasher or inside sink, or wash with a bit of dishwasher soap right away.   

Keep each bathroom and kitchen stocked with under the counter cleaning supplies so you have them at fingertips . . .  a quick spritz or washout of sink, etc. goes fast.  The toilet - one can use those disposable scrubbers with cleaning product already in them rather than toilet brushes and have at it; then there are no dirty germ laden toilet brushes.  I keep cheap sandwich bags under the bathroom sinks and when ejecting the scrubber heads, I eject the head into the plastic bag; this keeps me from having wet, bacteria laden ick directly into the waste baskets.

Line all trash baskets small or large.  Easy to empty and all easily contained and keeps trash baskets clean and avoids harmful bacteria growing on the surfaces.

Laundry . . . have a rectangular plastic laundry basket that you keep laundry in; I keep mine in my closet.  If it is heavy to lift or carry, use an old belt to slip through the end opening of the basket, and slip the clear end of the belt through the buckle; then you can pull the basket like a sled.

If you do not feel like folding clothes after wash, put them in basket and put it in closet or bedroom to fold later; don't leave clothes on sofa or chairs in living area.

BEST IDEA OF ALL: If affordable, a cleaning person every other week; this gets the big jobs done such as shower stalls, tubs, washing floors, cleaning stove and frig; some will change sheets; will vacuum, dust, does bathrooms, etc.  This gets down deep and arrangements can be made to vacuum out under sofa cushions and drapes once in awhile too . . . . ours charges $60 every other week, but we upped her to $70 as we have a two story house and it makes more cleaning time and effort.  She is so honest and kind; we did not want to take advantage or lose her.

I have neighbors who pay anywhere from $50 every other week, up to $125 - but the pricey one comes early a.m. around 8:30 or 9:00 and stays until supper time - that is too much for me both in money and in having that many hours in the house.

If you would feel unsettled with having to be in the same room as a cleaning person, you can retire to another room until the cleaner gets there and then move again; OR if you have multiple bedrooms, you can tell the cleaner that you do not want that bedroom cleaned that week and retire to that room with the door closed until the cleaner leaves; then the next cleaning visit, you can retire to the other bedroom and let the cleaner get at the room you were in the last time.

I used to work full time, had four kids, did all laundry, changed all beds each week, did all shopping and all housework . . . .three bathrooms and a two story house worth of vacuuming and dusting and cooking . . . . and part of this time, I was also working on my degrees;  HOW in the world did I manage all of that?  Don't know.   Well; I was young and my knees were good.  Not anymore.  Not at all.  So; anti-clutter as much as possible and a cleaning lady.  I do the bathroom toilets and sinks on alternate weeks when she is not at the house and don't sweat the small stuff.  However; I sure would like the laundry to do itself, to fold itself and put itself away.  Ah, well.

Oh, to have a cook . . . . wouldn't that be beyond awesome?  Not going to happen, but it would be loverly.

J.

llee08032
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2018 7:59 AM

Ah a fellow basket lady in JoC. They are wonderful! Our cleaning persons run $90 and up. I had a lady for awhile but she kept using Murphy's Oil Soap on fake hardwood floor which makes it slippery even though I would tell her not to use it. I have another coming in recommended by a neighbor in a few weeks. Not soon enough for me.

I'm getting new carpet upstairs so I'm utilizing the opportunity to get rid of clothes I no longer where. So far a huge bag and 3 smaller bags. Purging feels good. But the deep cleaning is breaking my back. can't wait to hit the garage.

My dear mother used to scrub floors for a living and she taught me how to deep clean very well.  I miss the smell of her pine jellied scrubbed floors. Anyone remember Pine Jelly? I don't know how I used to clean the hole house from top to bottom?

BTW...how old should a child be when they no longer use your garage for storage central?

-Love

llee08032
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2018 8:03 AM

Solution for dirty blinds: I have cheap blinds upstairs hidden under nice curtains. I'm a freak for nice curtains which can make or break a room. I throw out the blinds when they get too dirty to dust and get new ones.
jfkoc
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2018 10:14 AM

Pine Sol yes but not pine jelly...how do you use it?

I use about every product in the Swifter section. ..especially love the duster.

( I have no window coverings)

llee08032
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2018 7:25 AM

Love Pine Sol smell. They don't sell Pine Jelly anymore but it would dissolve in hot water.

Purple heart is picking up clothes next week.

Tip: to save time and to save me from going to Wal-hell (Walmart) I order online and get free shipping. This leaves me with a lot of boxes. I hose the boxes down and they are easy to fold up for recycle.

llee08032
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2018 7:29 AM

Jfkoc,

Windows curtained with beautiful views of nature? That sounds lovely.

Jo C.
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2018 8:10 AM

Here in SoCal, houses are close together, so window coverings are necessary.

Pine Sol, brings back memories.  It smells like, "I am clean!"  My mother and grandmother used to scrub their kitchen floors on their knees using a big bar of Fels Naptha Floor Soap, a bucket of hot water and a hard bristled scrub brush.   I'd know that smell anywhere.  They thought that was the only way to get a floor really clean; a mop would not do.  I was always a mop person after using their method for a few months when I was newly married.

Over time, I got shutters put on all windows upstairs and one downstairs and love them.  They are not wood nor are they plastic.  They have a good "R" rating for keeping heat out or cold in whatever season. I can adjust them or open them completely and they can simply be dusted with a Swiffer from time to time.  When fully closed, privacy is complete and room darkened.

BUT . . . . they are awfully expensive.  I did not have them done all at once because of that.

Living Room and Dining room have problem windows; a big bay in the living room and french doors in the dining room and the two rooms are open to one another.  So I used ceiling to floor sheers that can be opened to the side, with side drapes; they are maintenance issues.  The family room has french windows and doors with those small panes too; the large side window that looks out at the house next door has shutters for privacy and the sliding glass doors and bay window in eating area and the kitchen window all look out at the backyard scenery and have those wonderful pleated blinds that have a cord and they can be simply pulled up and hidden under a pleated valance - they go up to about 2 inches when all the way up, and can go all the way down to the floor when down.   Ours are almost always fully up.

Window coverings are so darned expensive, it took me a heck of a long, long time to get them all done, but I now like what we have because except for the dry cleaning of the drapes in the two rooms, all the rest are great with a Swiffer and they are all long lasting.  Shutters will go on forever and a day.

Window washing in a two story house . . . . I used to do all downstairs in/out and inside upstairs with husband doing outside upstairs.  But now, we are all funky joints so we have a very reasonably priced fellow that comes out at intervals and does in and out and screens for a flat rate.  Saves our bodies a lot of pain for sure.  Gads; I want my old self back.

I have been looking for and cannot find a Swiffer with a long rod that will dust way up high; that would come in handy.

Now if I could just get a robot to pick up things left lying about and especially one that could clean closets, that would be great.  My closet . . . . oh my . . . . shudder.

J.

presently
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2018 2:13 PM

I found at The Container Store what I call a vertical clothes basket. It has two handles that come together at the top so it can be carried at my side. My stiff arthritic knees make it difficult to carry something out in front of me without falling, especially on our steps. This basket doesn't hold as much so I have to deal with that, but smaller loads are lighter and I don't fear falling because I can't see the steps in front of me.
llee08032
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2018 5:52 AM

Be careful on those steps, Presently. I have something called a flexible laundry basket that cost approximately $5 at Walmart. It is lightweight and the handles come together at the top also so I can carry the clothes up the stairs by my side. As for down the stairs I throw the clothes down first and then the flexible basket. I think I'm more likely to fall down the stairs then up so this method works for me.
Jo C.
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2018 8:04 AM

Stairs . . . . they can be a challenge.   I got several of those duffel-bag style laundry bags; they are a good size but not humongous.  I sort my laundry upstairs, put the loads in the duffel . . . . and then THROW the duffel down the stairs . . . works like a charm and no walls marred.  Then I just drag or push it to the laundry room.

I also use the rectangular laundry basket that has cutouts all around it.  I had a belt never used that is several inches wide and is heavy fabric woven . . . . I put the belt through the narrow end of the laundry basket and put the fabric end of the belt through the buckle and out again . . . it makes a strong, long tether.  When the basket is full, I do not want to carry it as it is heavy; so I simply drag it behind me like a sled.  If going downstairs, I find it can be slid in front of me with me shortening the belt in my hand and going slow.

The tossing of the duffel bags works well though, and the laundry is aready pre-sorted.

BUT going back UP the stairs with blouses and shirts on hangers; that's another thing altogether.  If things can be folded, they can go right back into the duffel and be drug up the stairs.

I am so glad that I have a laundry room adjacent to the family room which makes doing laundry much easier . . . but it would be lovely to have the machines upstairs.  Many new homes are now putting laundry rooms upstairs.

My friend took out her upstairs linen closet and put stackable machines in its place; bit pricey with plumber and plumbing, but she is very happy and says she wishes she had done it years ago. 

Now if I could only find a way to fold those gosh-awful king sized bottom sheets with elastic all the way around . . . yes; I have watched all the tutorials regarding this online and of course watched Martha Stewart, but I still fail and find it beyond remediation.

J.

jfkoc
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2018 9:49 AM

My washer/dryer are up stairs ....
leilani
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2018 4:12 PM

llee08032 wrote:
Solution for dirty blinds: I have cheap blinds upstairs hidden under nice curtains. I'm a freak for nice curtains which can make or break a room. I throw out the blinds when they get too dirty to dust and get new ones.
O M G.....excellent!!!