RSS Feed Print
my first big fall
alz+
Posted: Saturday, June 23, 2018 7:11 AM

went for eye exam yesterday, came home fine, then slipped on a wet patch on the living room floor and fell. It was slow motion, had toothbrush in hand, one foot sliding away, then falling backwards.

I hit my head against a door and landed on a hip and hand. My father fell like this when he had ALZ and broke his hip which led to his death. On the way to the floor I thought "I am going just like my dad."

I took 2 baby aspirins and went to bed and slept all night. It feels like just body aches but even the hospice nurse always asks "any falls?"

My husband and I have both seen a decline in me and I know this shook him up.The dog had been inside for some time, is an older female, and she may have peed on the floor, it doesn't matter.

The swimming pool is clean and open for summer now so I will try to get there to move around in the water.

llee08032
Posted: Saturday, June 23, 2018 10:21 AM

Oh no! Please be careful and safe. Falls are so scary. If pain persists please get medical attention.
Andrew60
Posted: Saturday, June 23, 2018 10:43 AM

Sorry about your fall. It is miraculous you weren’t seriously hurt, which must mean you have maintained a good level of fitness, or you landed “just right”. Either way, please be careful.
Iris L.
Posted: Saturday, June 23, 2018 12:23 PM

Ow!  I'm so sorry that you had a big fall, alz+!  You're right, falls are very serious.  If you have any signs of head injury, go to the ER.  When you are rested, check around your home for clutter.  You already know that your vision is not great.  Make sure the lighting is bright.  Be extra cautious in water, even shallow water.  Is there a lifeguard at your pool?  

I began having falls a few years ago.  I had a couple of bad falls in the bathtub, but most of the falls were on carpet.  I tripped over my cats, over cat toys, and over my own feet.  I used to not turn on the lights in the early evening, wanting to save electricity.  Now I turn on all the lights so that the house is bright all over.  

Iris L.

alz+
Posted: Saturday, June 23, 2018 1:36 PM

Andrew - I have astonishing balance, since ballet as a child. 

Thanks for advice, yes have to something. wow, it was mostly that it happened just like with my Dad, and inside I panicked, and that did not come out until today.

My vision was tested yesterday and no loss in 12 months and new glasses (getting them was an ALZ movie style experience) which fit better than previous ones and lenses are MUCH better.

It will hurt more tomorrow but no need to get medical. wow.

Iris L.
Posted: Sunday, June 24, 2018 10:59 AM

At this time you might think about some sort of alert for if you fall again.  Some people use a fall alert system connected to an outside operator such as "I've fallen and I can't get up" type device.  A low tech alternative might be a whistle or bell to alert Keeper or the dog.  I have to think about these for myself.

Iris L.

Mimi S.
Posted: Sunday, June 24, 2018 2:56 PM

Hi Alz+,

We are all so grateful you are OK.

Re fall alert. When I was buying mine, research at that time showed the fall alert not too reliable.

Even though I have never activated mine and it only works within 200 feet of myhouse, I still think it is a good idea.

I did have one with a GPS.  Completely useless at one place I mighthave needed it; so back it went.
alz+
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2018 10:02 AM

looks like the fall was part of a chunk of function going away.

Keeper has been doing MUCH more at home, and this morning I am going with him to work at the swimming pool instead of being left alone. He is inviting me to do things instead of saying, "I can't trust leaving you alone," he says "Come with me to work." Makes me cry that he has learned how to connect with me and help his own need to feel ok about leaving me home.

I will think about wearing an alert. 

Oh boy. I wish I could report back on the changes but can't remember them. I don't remember a few hours ago. Intend to look at the dog, she doesn't carry a grudge, she makes the best of things, has patience.

the "anxiety" is a creepy feeling centered in my gut, below ribs. Like a buzzing. The new cbd oil helps calm it down. I rode in car without exclaiming as usual about things I see bearing down on me.

I came today to write about some thing and forgot when I read first post. Minus the anxiety it still has not been awful except when my emotions go wild. Will do what ever I can to eliminate anxiety.

Iris L.
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2018 12:59 PM

It's so nice to read that you and Keeper are communicating so well.  I remember your beginning posts about how you were struggling with each other.  

Until you get an alert, get a whistle and wear it on a chain around your neck or in your pocket.

I think the effect of anxiety is underappreciated.  I think many "behaviors" of PWDs are reactions to anxiety that is overwhelming them.  We need to do everything we can to reduce anxiety as you say.

Have a nice time at the pool!

Iris L.

alz+
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2018 10:10 AM

we were on verge of divorce for 10 years! ha! Then he almost died from the B12 thing. If we can learn to get along in a 600 sq foot place, through winters, anybody can.

My priest told me to open my heart and to stop taking offence, reply from the heart, ask no more than twice, respect other people's different needs and wishes, lower expectations (few people are natural caregivers), and I added "regain my sense of humor".

We know we are looking at big changes now, I refer to this place as "his house" now. I want to let go of all attachments.

Iris, when I read your kind words to new people I remember when I came here suicidal and how kind and strong you were for me. So  many people here have helped me go on and find my new self.

love and courage

Iris L.
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2018 11:43 AM

More wisdom from alz+!  Letting go of attachments is a worthy goal.  I'm going to focus on this.

Iris L.