RSS Feed Print
Driving a car
ACMcCarthy
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 11:36 AM

my sonin law was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s last year st the age of 49. He is no longer driving   My daughter is afraid to drop him from auto insurance in case he gets ahold of the keys and has an accident. Is it safe to take him off the policy. Has anyone else dealt with this with an EO patient
Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 1:09 PM

Why is he no longer driving. As far as should you take him off I would call the agent and ask them how it would be handled if he did got in the car and drove and got in an accident. That is one I have never asked. 
Mimi S.
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 6:43 PM

Welcome to our world AC McCarthy. I'm so glad you found us.

I ditto michael's response: speak with your agent.

ndhme
Posted: Thursday, August 2, 2018 9:50 AM

I also agree your daughter needs to talk to her insurance agent regarding dropping her DH from their insurance.  I also suggest she keep all vehicle keys in her possession or hide the extra keys some where safe.  I am assuming that he stopped driving due to his decreased ability to be safe on the roads...whether it is driver safety or the possibility that he is getting lost.  

Early onset of ALZ is a long road and with many difficulties and unique issues pertaining to a marriage/spouse.  I suggest your daughter join alz connect and visit on the Spouse/Partner board.  I am glad you found us.  She will receive great support and info from the members of the board.  We all visit and post on any of the boards but the spouse board has members that have already experienced the early stages and are a wealth of information.

alz+
Posted: Friday, August 3, 2018 10:05 AM

smart answers already given.

I am still on our policy even though I have not driven in years and I should not drive, but if my husband is injured at home (not rare) I could possibly drive him to hospital. Our insurance company charges more for just 1 driver and has been lousy anyway for past 5 years.

Please post what you find out.  Also my husband hides the keys and for me the loss of travel at will ended my chance for friendships locally.

It is a huge loss and I think contributes to despair and decline. If the doctor said he should not drive and you have assets, it is probably more likely to be dangerous. 

thank you for sharing your experience!