RSS Feed Print
Dealing with the death of my dog
Despera-termined
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2018 6:46 PM

Last week my DH's dog of 13 years died.  It was "his" dog but he was mine also.  

I am really having a hard time and so is DH.  

I loved that dog.  My heart is broken and I have had repeated seizures since this has happened.  I am on seizure meds but this sudden devastation has triggered them.  

They are partial seizures and am actually in one right now.  Some are worse than others.

I miss him.  I guess I just wanted to tell it to you guys because I know you will understand and also it won't upset you like it does my DH.  

DT

ndhme
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2018 7:01 PM

I am so sorry about your dog.  They are family...a part of us.  Please take care...think of some wonderful memories...hopefully that will help you.

dayn2nite2
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2018 12:36 AM

Oh no, I am so sorry.  I feel the same way about my dogs and I lost one in January, it was terrible.  

About the seizures, have you called your doctor to let him/her know about this stressor and what is happening to you?  I wonder if maybe your seizure medication could be increased during this utterly stressful time.

Again, I am so sorry.  Losing a member of the family is so hard.
Despera-termined
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2018 7:04 AM

Thank you for your kind words.

No I haven't called my Dr.  I guess I never thought of that.  If it doesn't get better I may have to do so. 

Yesterday was a rather stressful day.  I had to go to our camp and retrieve all of his beds, toys. etc and bring them home.   I also tried to change out rugs and rearrange things in the camp so that it may look different.  

He died while we were at our camp on the river.  He had what we assume to be a heart attack but we were able to hold him before he took his final breath.  
Fortunately that night is foggy to me.

Hopefully with more time it will ease up, if not I will have to call the Dr.  I just hate doing that.  I'm stubborn in that way...……….need some CBD.

DT 

Iris L.
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2018 4:17 PM

Despera, please accept my condolences in the loss of your dear dog. I'm sorry his loss is causing you to be heartbroken.  I hope you can find comfort in the belief that he will be waiting for you on the Rainbow Bridge.

Iris L.

llee08032
Posted: Friday, August 31, 2018 6:49 AM

So sorry for your loss. I'm onto my third rescue and have two dogs waiting for me on Rainbow Ridge.
alz+
Posted: Friday, August 31, 2018 11:39 AM

A dog is a chance to live with LOVE - thank God for allowing us humans that chance to bond with animal world.

When I don't know how to act or what to do I look at the dog and do that.

Missing them is incredibly hard. That weird silence that fills the house when they die.

Hope your dog sends you a dream to let you know they are waiting.

Thanks for sharing this with  us, it brings us all together, a universal mourning. 

abc123
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2018 11:02 PM

I am so sorry for the loss of your dog.  Tomorrow will be one week since I lost two of my dogs and I’m heart broken. I send my most sincere sympathy to you & your husband. Do you think putting together a small photo/scrap book might help both of you grieve the loss of your pet? Maybe when your husband is missing his dog he could find some comfort by looking at the photos. Just an idea. Once again, I’m so sorry for your loss.
Despera-termined
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 6:01 AM

Thank you abc123 for your words of encouragement.  

I have looked through several of our pictures of  Jake and found one I had forgotten I had even taken.  

He and I were headed to the camp one cold morning and I took a selfie of us and just as I snapped the picture he turned his head and kissed me.  He was not a dog that licked you he just put his nose to mine.  

I love that picture.  

Haven
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 10:16 AM

My 16 and 1/2 year old pup died in her sleep 3 weeks ago. My husband who is 58 with FTD is devastated. I keep thinking I see her on her chair and when I come home from work, I always look at her chair out of habit. I am so sorry for you loss and feel your pain!