RSS Feed Print
Just joined. Comfort knowing others have similar symptoms.
Bob P
Posted: Saturday, October 6, 2018 10:22 AM

I was diagnosed EOAD almost 3 years ago at age 60.  I have felt kind of on an island because it seemed there were no other folks my age with which I could relate. But I must admit I did not try very hard to seek out others in my age group and situation.  I have mostly withdrawn from a vibrant work and social life.  I was forced to retire from my career when I was diagnosed.  My wife and I downsized from our house to a condo which is fine but different.   I have been aware of this site for 3 years but I am not much of a sharer nor do I use social media.  But I am glad I looked at your posts this morning.  It was just what I needed. The thing I did not understand about AD prior to my diagnosis was that short term memory loss was NOT the symptom that caused the greatest problems and heartache- at least for me (though I certainly have a memory problem).  I HAD NO IDEA THE EMOTIONAL ROLLERCOASTER I WAS BOARDING 3 YEARS AGO.  On a dime I move from anxiety to anger to depression to apathy to fear to paranoia to "zoning out"- and then the next morning back to almost the way I used to be.  I've always prided myself on being an organized, successful person that could either think my way through problems or just solve them through sheer will.  Now I can do neither.  I was very outgoing, now I don't want to leave the house.  I also feel very guilt of the pain my mood swings have on my lovely and very caring spouse, and am mad that I can't seem to control the sometimes snarky things I say.  I never was like this before.  These experiences, I now see through the lens of this group, are pretty common. It doesn't make it better, but it does provide a bit of comfort.  I'll be checking back in from time to time, and will be glad to share if I think I can help others in their situation.
Andrew60
Posted: Saturday, October 6, 2018 10:46 AM

Welcome Bob. I highly encourage you to use the “search” feature, type in a symptom and you will find dozens of helpful posts about those, or any other symptom you type in. My first few months on here, thats all I did was search for others who have similar experiences like mine. Im still in the upper end of MCI, and hopefully this is as far as I go. However, I know if I do progress, thanks to what you  and others have posted, I understand life will be challenging, but still have many years of enjoying it left.

A few years before being DX with MCI, my wife started noticing personality changes in me that would fluctuate. I too was always an easy going man, seldom getting mad, and never any real arguments with my wife. Now, there are days where my triggers are short, but my wife has learned from others, and does not press any issues, and avoids confrontations with me when she knows Im in a “mood”. On a plus side, Im not always right, and thats a first for our marriage....

Bob P
Posted: Saturday, October 6, 2018 11:47 AM

Thanks Andrew for your post.  I too hope your MCI takes its sweet time or goes no further.  Cheers.