RSS Feed Print
Anxious.
Andrew60
Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2018 10:08 AM

Im getting a little anxious about my 3rd annual Neuropsychological testing I will undergo in 14 days. I would stay up all night studying for them, but I would forget what I read. However, we all know this is not a test you can study for. Just my humor.

Yes, I know, I said I was taking a break. However, this site is habit forming so here I am, again.

Lately it seems I feel semi ok during the day, but by 5pm, Im a little foggy headed, and more memory problems than during the day (I think). Is this normal, keep in mind I have not been DX with dementia, but was DX with amnestic MCI 2 years ago.

Fluctuations are common with me as there are many good moments, quickly replaced by bad moments or even good days replaced by bad days. I know this sound like early symptoms of Lewy Body, but I have no muscular problems, no REM sleep issues, and no hallucinations.

Mimi S.
Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2018 12:29 PM

Guess my advice is worry less!  hah!!

Did you have an REM study?

Re evening problems.  Power nap during day?  Might be similar to sundowning as disease progresses?

R test.  You know you are taking it to see what, if any, progression since last test.  You think there has been..so see what the test shows.  You now you won't do well on some aspects, so jus do what you can.

Iris L.
Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2018 4:12 PM

Hi, Andrew.  I was supposed to have a computer cognitive test in my neurologist's office in August, but the assistant called to cancel.  Yesterday I got a telephone call from an unknown psychologist asking me to schedule an appointment for a cognitive test.  I am not anxious about it, because, as you say, you can't study for it.  In fact, I am eager to learn the results and to see if there has been any demonstrable progression or not. 

In my personal life, I believe I am progressed in some ways and not progressed in other ways.  But, like you, I am affected by personal fatigue.  I make a distinction between body fatigue and brain fatigue.  Brain fatigue causes me not to be able to do executive function activities, such as reading the mail, or doing financial tasks.  Body fatigue keeps me from doing housework.  My sleep is broken; I believe we all need to work on getting better sleep.

I think it is important for us to use this time to make plans for our future, even if we don't have a diagnosis of dementia or Alzheimer's Disease.  We need to be proactive while we have the capabilities, and can make our own decisions.  One day it may be too late.  I spent a lot of time traveling and doing my Bucket List; now I have to scramble to make decisions and to get projects done.

Iris L.

Andrew60
Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 2018 10:26 AM

Thanks Mimi and Iris.

Im not really worried, just anxious to get it over with and see my results.

Any signs of progression if noted on the testing, then we will see an elder attorney to get all the forms completed, solid plans laid out for my future.

jfkoc
Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 2018 10:38 AM

Not certain that anxious is a lot worse than worried....
When you meet with the attorney please have document drawn up for both you and your wife

Iris L.
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2018 4:29 PM

Regardless of test results, it is best to have plans written out and completed.  You can make a Plan A and a Plan B for different eventualities.  You have you make plans for yourself and for your wife.  Being a Dementia Pioneer means we are proactive in making our own plans for ourselves.

Iris L.