RSS Feed Print
New Member, Don't Know Where to Start and Trying to Understand
Cathyde
Posted: Sunday, July 7, 2019 3:20 PM

hi Vic I am in Michigan and just diagnosed no support groups near me mine  rapid is progressive dementia I am 58 I have pca posterior cortical atrophy I am scared and alone I am in the house a lot or on the porch I don't know what to do I don't want to end up in a Detroit nursing home I live in Belleville Michigan but no support here too far away I cry alot
alz+
Posted: Sunday, July 7, 2019 9:58 PM

Cathyde -

I am so glad you are posting here.

Living alone is a constant strain, the hypervigilance required is draining.

I don't know much about your condition but others here do. When finances are low our options are different - it sounds like you are longing for someone to come help you. Then once we know we need help how are we supposed to find "help"?

I was enrolled in Hospice palliative care in Michigan and the visiting nurse told me I could live alone (I was married at the time) and that I could "just call places" for food delivery and stuff. Once I separated from my husband and my world crashed she became even more unhelpful. They refused to give me her reports. I'm glad I tried it and glad I quit.

was shocked she was so clueless and I ended up living alone all last winter. in the U.P. I know how hard it is!

Let's help each other. One thing I might offer is when things get overwhelming, when I was upset I couldn't do more for myself, was to tell myself it was ok to stay in bed, it is ok to worry, it is ok to react as anyone would to losing their ability to run their own lives. Those little things add up to an easier life over time.

We can't advocate for ourselves because we decline, but we can find small ways to make ourselves feel safer, more at peace.

I have run out of mental gas but hope you come back and tell us more. There are a lot of people with similar condition to you, by sharing things we find what works and we can lift each other up.

Please come back. Give yourself some days to process, someone here might be able to connect you with help.

This is a great first step. You have friends here - and believe me, I never imagined Online Friends would be more real than humans in my house but they are.

Welcome!

HowDoYouDeal
Posted: Monday, October 7, 2019 11:11 AM

Hi Cathyde,

I am posting the links from the emails I sent you, in case others have input on them.

View Message
Inbox
Compose
Sent Items
Reply Reply-All Forward Print Delete Previous Next   From: HowDoYouDeal Sent: 9/26/2019 12:01:03 AM To: Cathyde Subject: Bus in Belleville Michigan

https://belleville.mi.us/senior-transportation/

Senior Transportation

Wheels for Independence is a joint venture between the Belleville Council for Seniors (BCS) and the City of Belleville.  In 1999, the City of Belleville entered into an agreement with the BCS to provide transportation services to senior citizens and disabled residents of the City of Belleville.

In March 2000, the City purchased a van with block grant funds provided by Wayne County.  The SMART van is equipped with an ADA-approved lift for disabled passengers.

The City funds vehicle operations and maintenance, and BCS provides dispatching and driver services to support program operations.

OPERATIONS

Eligibility

Rides are scheduled for City residents who are legally disabled or 55 years of age or older.  Exceptions may be made for a companion who is needed for assistance.

Rides are provided on a first-come, first served basis with equal access to all City residents who meet the age and disability requirements, subject to the availability of space for mobility vehicles on each trip.

Please make the scheduling office aware of any mobility problems or other conditions that need to be considered as transportation services are being scheduled.

Service Policy

1. Medical/legal forms are required for all riders including drivers and companion assistants.
  2. Please do not smoke on the van
  3. Frequent stops will normally be made during each round trip
  4. Please be courteous and quiet during the ride
  5. You must be ready to go at scheduled time so that all riders get to their appointments on time
  6. Seating arrangements are made at the driver’s discretion
  7. All arrangements for rides must be made one week in advance by calling the scheduling office. Emergency arrangements will be considered on a case-by-case basis as scheduling permits.

Need a Ride?

SMART vehicles operate Monday, Wednesday and Friday each week (sorry, no weekend rides).

Call (734) 697-3733 one week in advance of your appointment.  Please leave a message as follows:

• name/address
  • phone number
  • date of appointment
  • time of appointment
  • special needs, if any

You will receive a return call to confirm your appointment.

Fares

2 tickets or $2 up to 5 miles one way (Belleville, Sumpter and Van Buren)

3 tickets or $3 up to 10 miles one way (Canton, Romulus, Ypsilanti, etc.)

4 tickets or $4 up to 15 miles one way (Ann Arbor, Plymouth, Trenton, etc.)

5 tickets or $5 up to 20 miles one way (Monroe, Novi, Wyandotte, etc.)

You can purchase a coupon book (12 rides for $10) at the following locations:

• City Hall, 6 Main Street
  • Columbia Court, 275 W. Columbia Avenue

Contact Info

City of Belleville

6 Main Street

Belleville, Michigan 48111

Phone: (734) 697-9323

Fax: (734) 697-6837

Belleville Directory

Council/Manager/Clerk   734-697-9323 ext. 7010

Tax/Water Billing   734-697-9323 ext. 7014

Permits/Inspections   734-697-9323 ext. 7015

Property Assessments   734-697-9323 ext. 7016

Building/Zoning   734-697-9323 ext. 7026

Code Enforcement   734-697-9323 ext. 7026

Hillside Cemetery   734-697-9323 ext. 7010

Public Safety (non-emergency) 734-699-2710

Copyright © 2014 Alzheimer's Association®. All rights reserved

HowDoYouDeal
Posted: Monday, October 7, 2019 11:22 AM

Support Groups in this Region

Denotes group is led by an AFTD affiliated leader who has participated in additional FTD training.
Note: Before attending your first group, please contact your facilitator to affirm the date and time, as both are subject to change.

Not seeing an FTD support group near you? Contact the AFTD HelpLine (info@theaftd.org, 866-507-7222) to learn how to start one.

MICHIGANMI – Detroit area
4th Thursday of the month, 6 p.m.–7:30 p.m. Greater MI Chapter’s Harry L. Nelson Helpline at 248-351-0280
Susan McEwan
susan.mcewan@beaumont.org Beaumont Health Center
Area B, 4949 Coolidge Hwy
Royal Oak, Michigan 48073 MI – Grand Rapids

1st Wednesday of the month, 6:30 p.m.–8 p.m. Karen S. Bugg, RN, LMSW
616-685-5445 Saint Mary’s Health Care
Lacks Center Grand Conference Room, lower level
250 Cherry Street
Grand Rapids, MI 49503