RSS Feed Print
That time has come
fazedanddoncused
Posted: Monday, January 7, 2019 7:52 AM

That time has come for me to post on this board. 

My mom passed rather suddenly on December 16, 2018 at age 77. 

I'm not sure what all to post because I have spoken about this elsewhere and don't wish to bore with repeated information. 

Mom was in AL for 118 days. 

She was diagnosed with AD in March 2017. AD was suspected as far back as possibly 2010.     She was in later stages, but seemed reasonably healthy. She had some leg swelling, yet she had been seen 4 days before by a physician, who noticed nothing unusual. 

Mom had become more sedentary. She could no longer operate a phone and TV remote. Once her swelling legs were discovered months ago, it was encouraged that she sit with her legs elevated, and do some walking also. 

She only remembered to keep her legs elevated, and didn't walk, except during a bathroom trip or to the dining area. In my opinion, that led to a DVT in one of her legs, which created her health crisis. 

After being informed she was in respiratory distress, she was transported to the hospital. She was then diagnosed with a massive bilateral pulmonary embolism.

Attempted surgery to treat the clot was complicated by her weakened condition, which was complicated by the catheter puncturing her right atrium.  I realized trouble was brewing when I heard a "Code Blue" call for her operating room.

She lingered for a few hours before she earned her wings.

Time is proving to be my best healer, along with forgiving myself for the weaker moments.   

Wgonzo
Posted: Monday, January 7, 2019 5:06 PM

I saw your post on the caregiver side and yes, it's odd to be on this side. All this time you were caregiving and looking for answers, but now that's over and you will be needing a different kind of support.

That's why this forum is needed. Navigating the emotions that come with dealing with your loss & grief can be rough.

It helps to start here. How are you coping?

Hang in there

Wendy

Tink4495
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2019 11:32 PM

I am so sorry for the sudden loss of your mother. I am glad that you ventured to this board for support. Those here have all been through this horrible journey and we are here to support you during the rough times ahead. I hope you can find some peace and comfort during this difficult time.
jb crick
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2019 1:04 AM

So sorry to hear of the loss of your mother. Peace be with you.
Skittles412
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2019 7:31 AM

fazed please accept my sincerest sympathy for your loss.  I lost my mom too so I know the pain.  Come back often to vent, ask questions, or cry. We are all here for the same reason. Thinking of you and sending lots of strength.

xoxoxo -Kat