RSS Feed Print
I'm new and have some questions
MildDeb
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2019 10:29 AM

Hello,

I'm here because my mother, an aunt, and an uncle all have suffered with what we assume is EO dementia.  My aunt was affected in her 30's and my mom and uncle in their 50's.  No one has officially been diagnosed.  My mother's behavior makes me wonder if this is FTD.  How can I find out?  I'm very concerned about having documentation so that future generations are aware.  Thanks for any help or advice!

rdmiller12
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2019 7:00 PM

My father had FTD. His was very evident on the MRI scan. Has your LO had any diagnostic testing done?
Mimi S.
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2019 9:05 PM

Welcome to our world. I'm so glad you found our site.

Diagnostic testing is necessary. From your library ask for a copy of any book by Doraiswamy and Gwyther. It describes the steps necessary be able to contact them directly.

The others you mentioned should undergo the same testing. 

Then if diagnosis is positive, the possibility of familial dementia needs to be determined.

Do keep us in the loop.
Ogre1
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2019 3:54 PM

My wife had traumatic brain injury when she was 14 or 15 in a coma for 1 to 3 months was not thought she would live through it. When she came out of the coma her memory was virtually wiped clean. She started having a continuous headache in 1997 that only varies in degrees of pain it never completely goes away.

We have been to 4 Neurologists in the past 20 years they have all said pretty much the same thing that she will be in pain for the rest of her life that it is a miracle that she lived through it but absolutely amazing that she is able to function almost normally.

The 10 symptoms of early stages of Dementia she has had some of them since we met in 1999 she now has all but 1. So my question is can traumatic brain damage contribute or cause Dementia or Alzheimer's.

After reading some of what is on this website I think so, but would like to know if there is any case study or correlating evidence that links these.

Iris L.
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2019 5:12 PM

Welcome Ogre.  The dementia diseases are considered to be progressive and terminal--meaning they don't get better.  Traumatic brain injury has the potential for improvement over time and if not immediately fatal, the life expectancy might be normal or not.  You might want to read about CTE, which researchers are still learning about.
jfkoc
Posted: Saturday, January 26, 2019 9:25 AM

You go to a Dr who's specialty is diagnosing/ treating dementia. This can be difficult. You may have to wait months for an appointment and you may need to travel but it must be done by the right person.