RSS Feed Print
Stress and anxiety
Iris L.
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2019 11:44 PM

Since January, I have been a resource for non-computer literate friends and family members who are caregiving LOs with varying levels of dementia and other major medical problems.  These people also tell me long stories about their struggles.  I am totally stressed and anxious from trying to help them!  I don't regret helping, but I didn't know how much it would take out of me.  I have to put a stop to this!  I have chest pain, poor sleep, I'm overeating, and my cognition is affected. I just can't seem to think productively or remember. I can't stop being a helper, but I have to put limits.

Iris

Smilesyourway
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2019 1:16 AM

Sweet Iris:

We especially have to take care of ourselves first.  Keeping stress at bay is so   important for managing our disease.  Please, even though hard to do, try to lessen the load.  It's okay NOT to juggle it all.  Once in a while over doing is one thing, but you have several that you help, I've read other posts you've left.  Being social like you've shared is so important, but taking care of our own mental health has to be first and foremost.  Just a mini pep talk, to reiterate taking care of yourself first - it just has to be that way. 

I sure hope tomorrow is calmer and less demanding for you. 

Cheers,

Smiles

jfkoc
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2019 9:47 AM

You are lovely to help with those of us who struggle with electronic things but please make some firm  boundaries. Your visits need to be enjoyable for all concerned.
Iris L.
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2019 4:06 PM

Message received!  I'm setting boundaries.  Thank you, Smiles and Jfkoc!

Iris