RSS Feed Print
Seeking info about disability from social security
yarnball
Posted: Friday, March 1, 2019 12:04 PM

I mentioned recently that my 58 year old brother has early onset Alzheimer's.  He just got his diagnosis within the month.  Mom at 83 has dementia as well.

I am seeking information about social security money when you are disabled before retirement age.  Will he likely be eligible for some sort of financial support?

I really don't even know what questions to ask so if any of you can give me the scoop, I would be most appreciative!   Thank you

Andy61
Posted: Friday, March 1, 2019 1:09 PM

https://www.disability-benefits-help.org/blog/5-things-to-know-alzheimers-disease-disability-benefits
Early onset cases can be fast tracked for quicker benefits

Iris L.
Posted: Friday, March 1, 2019 4:32 PM

Some patients hire an attorney to help them apply for SSDI benefits, but it can be done without the use of an attorney.  Some social service organizations may do the same without charge.  If your brother is employed, he may apply for short term disability benefits pending completion of his application for SSDI, since that takes a while.  You may speak with a Care Consultant at the Helpline for further information.

How is he receiving income now?  Whom is he living with?

Iris L.

Bestgrandma
Posted: Friday, March 1, 2019 6:26 PM

Hi yarnball
When I was 52 I applied for social security disability because I wasn't capable of working due to having bipolar disorder. I was employed by a company that dealt in international trade. The company that I worked for provided short & than long term disability. It's very important for anyone applying for disability to have well documented paperwork for the diagnosis. The paperwork to complete when applying for social security disability is pretty self explanatory. I made the decision to complete the paperwork on my own. I was approved in six months for disability. If you do apply on your own but receive a denial from social security you can always hire an attorney for a appeal. I know of 2 friends that did that and were approved. 

EdiBug
Posted: Sunday, March 3, 2019 9:44 AM

There was just a good thread regarding this topic in February under the spouse/partner forum. Search for "Social Security disability(1) to take a look. Hope this helps with getting started on the process.