RSS Feed Print
MCI(1)
Carol2019
Posted: Saturday, March 2, 2019 6:23 AM

does anyone know much about this? My husband was diagnosed with it. Does it cause behavior changes, such as pushing family away, lying, etc?
Smilesyourway
Posted: Saturday, March 2, 2019 8:07 AM

MCI is often the stage (pre-cursor) to several types of dementia.  Perhaps he is in denial, depressed about his diagnosis which is VERY typical.  Lying because he is confused about the truth?  MCI is very often a symptom or an underlying cause of something else, did docs explain anything more?
eaglemom
Posted: Saturday, March 2, 2019 8:35 AM

Welcome to the message board Carol2019. I'm glad that you've found us. Please go to the top of this page under solutions section. There are numerous topics that can help you as this journey begins. Ask questions and we are here to help.

You state your DH has a diagnosis with MCI. Who diagnosised him? Family GP or neurologist? What tests were used to determine MCI? Was he prescribed any medications? What about your financial well-being? Have you applied for SSDI? Have you seen an eldercare attorney?

I ask those questions not to overwhelm you, but rather to help point you in a direction. Again welcome.

eagle

Carol2019
Posted: Saturday, March 2, 2019 9:08 AM

Sadly I didn’t see or talk to doc yet. A year ago he went crazy, kicking me out and acting like a different person. In two months we will be divorced. Two days ago he told me he put me down as emergency contact and after contacting the office I got access to his records and this is what was dianosed. I plan on setting up a phone appt with doctor. I am in one state and he in another.
Carol2019
Posted: Saturday, March 2, 2019 9:09 AM

Neurologist

Iris L.
Posted: Saturday, March 2, 2019 10:17 AM

Please visit the Spouse/Partner board and search for threads relating to divorce.  Your situation is not uncommon.  From what you describe he may be past the MCI stage.  Read about dementia.  What you call lying may be confabulation, which is the damaged  brain putting bits of memory together.  Mood changes are also not uncommon.  Also read about anosognosia, which is lack of awareness of having dementia.

Iris L.

Carol2019
Posted: Saturday, March 2, 2019 7:11 PM

Thank you. I will go there.
Mimi S.
Posted: Sunday, March 3, 2019 12:08 PM

Welcome to our world Carol. I'm so glad you found our site.

Do compare, if you know, the process of his diagnosis with that outlined by doraiswamy and Gwyther. (Ask at your library). The process outlined in their books is the  only standard for a reliable diagnosis. 

Usually in the MCI stage, the main person noticing the difference is the person and possibly others might notice a slight forgetfullness. Behavior changes you comment on usually happen later.
Have you thought about a few sessions with a social worker who is familiar with dementia, to help put your feeling in the open? your local Alz chapter should have some names. The help line 1-800-272-3900 can give you the local #. Do call during normal business hours and ake sure you are speaking with the local. National picks up after a certain # of rings.

princess31375
Posted: Tuesday, March 5, 2019 12:40 PM

Hello, i am new to this site and this diagnosis, i was just diagnosed with MCI yesterday. Im scared, confused and slightly depressed about all this.  Can anyone tell me what to expect? Look forward to getting to know others like me.
Iris L.
Posted: Tuesday, March 5, 2019 1:02 PM

Welcome Princess.  Not everyone who is diagnosed with MCI will go on to develop dementia.  It is very important to have a thorough medical and neurological evaluation because there are many dementia mimics, many of which are treatable if caught in time.   Also, many common medications have memory loss as a side effect.  Look up all medications, prescription and OTC, for such side effects.  If you are prone to depression, treat that aggressively.  Please keep us informed of your progress.

Iris L.

princess31375
Posted: Wednesday, March 6, 2019 7:01 AM

Iris L.

I have had all the medical and neurological exams to be accurately diagnosed as far as ive been told and researched. I had multiple mri's, ct scans, neuro and pyschological exams. I went thru hours of memory and cognitive testing. And he diagnosed me with MCI and said something about being in a certain stage. But cant remember that part. He is sending me a copy of the report for my records in a week or two. This is the second set of testing ive had in my life, the first one was about 10yrs ago and at that point i had minimal issues with my memory. And yes i know about how certain meds can cause this, the doctor didnt think it was caused from medicine. He said he wasnt for certain as to why i have it, as my family history is incomplete due to my mother being adopted so couldnt tell if there was a genetic connection. (Not sure if that the right words for that,hope you understand wjat im trying to say.) 

Andy61
Posted: Wednesday, March 6, 2019 10:58 AM

I was diagnossed with amnestic MCI a little over 2 years ago. At that time, I had never heard of MCI, and knew nothing about dementia. Since then, I have read hundreds of articles, most of them 2-3 times each, watched vidoes  about MCI on you tube, and best of all, used the search feature on this web site to research everything possible about MCI. There are dozens of threads here about MCI.

I have had 3 annual 4 hour Neuropsychological testing, all of which showed severe memory, but other areas have been ok until a few months ago where I showed signs of executive function problems. I have progressed some, but not so much that I have crossed the line to dementia.

As a life long athlete, I have always been aware of my body, and any changes. Same thing for my mind. When I first noticed issues with memory, I assumed it was because I was near 60, and that was normal. So, when issues become more problematic for me, I went to my Dr to be evaluated, and I failed the in office MOCA cognitive test. 

I was initially freaked out by the diagnosis, but have since then learned to accept whatever happens will happen. 

I do run almost everyday, and lift weights, both of which I think has helped me the most.

Iris L.
Posted: Wednesday, March 6, 2019 12:21 PM

I'm sorry, Princess, I didn't realize that you had had such a thorough evaluation.  Some new members get a diagnosis with limited evaluation.

Iris L.

princess31375
Posted: Wednesday, March 6, 2019 1:08 PM

Iris,

Its ok, how could you know, i didnt state it like i should of right away. I got my diagnosis and immediatley started researchinf and thata how i found this site.  Im still not sure what to think about it all. Im kind of in denial i think, i just am scared.  Just glad i found this site.