RSS Feed Print
Less of me comes back
Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2019 9:49 AM

I have been trying to enjoy my life to most possible way that I can even though I am living with dementia. The only problem is that every time i go away and return I feeling like a part of me has been lost and some skill has been impacted but I cannot explain what it is. I just know that when i change my routine it has consequences. Its kind of crazy that I keep doing it knowing it has an impact on me but I must enjoy the time I have left.

Does any one else feel this way.

Iris L.
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2019 2:03 PM

Michael, I notice the same.  My trips take a lot out of me, and it takes a long time for me to recover.  I think this is to be expected and we must allow for it.  We still want to enjoy our lives.  IMHO, we should do as much as we can do as long as we are able, because there will come a time when we won't be able.  

My close friend and I came to this decision around the year 2000, because we both liked to travel and go on excursions, and we both had serious medical issues.  We didn't want to have regrets about missing out on what we liked to do.  She passed away unexpectedly the next year.  I'm glad she was able to enjoy as much as she was able.

So Michael, my advice to you is to keep traveling and doing whatever else you like to do.  But think about pacing yourself.  Allow for rest periods and breaks.  Allow recovery time at the end.  

As far as lost skills, it is important to get back into your normal routine as quickly as possible.  The last time I returned from a trip , I forgot what goes into my smoothie, and I make a smoothie every morning.  Our routine is vital for us to be able to function with any sense of confidence.  So keep at it, Michael!

Iris