RSS Feed Print
Cant keep my mind focused
Vik
Posted: Thursday, March 28, 2019 9:49 AM

Im finding my mind keeps goi g from one thought to another. Its what i imagine Attention Deficit Disorder is like. Does anyone else hav this problem?  I use to b a great multi-tasker and problem solver. Now i absolutely canNOT multitask or my brain gets REALLY MIXED UP.

I use to get frustrated with losing my cell phone, tv remote, keys, etc., but let go of that frustration, only now to b frustrated with the different dementia symptom. So is this how it goes:  as the dementia progresses, new frustratioms develop with each new symptom???

Losing cognitive abilities, and then becomimg frustrated.... HOW DO YOU DEAL with the frustration?  

Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Thursday, March 28, 2019 10:15 AM

I have similar issues as I was a great multitasker at one time.  I just don’t have an high expectations of my self and just do what I can and when I can. I don’t let it bother me if I cannot do something as that is just the way it goes with dementia. 

Iris L.
Posted: Thursday, March 28, 2019 5:56 PM

A very wise social worker from Adult Protective Services gave me great advice years ago.  He told me to not multitask.  Do one task at a time.  This is key.  This very necessary.   I find I can accomplish what I want to accomplish if I do one task at a time and don't multitask.

P.S.  Not being able to multitask is part of "impairment of executive functions" and goes along with early dementia.  Often, this is an earlier sign before memory loss becomes a big issue.  Yet, it is sort of an invisible sign--not as apparent as memory loss.

Losing and misplacing items is also a sign.  It is important to downsize, get rid of clutter and excess items, and to simplify.  Every important item should have a home and be put into its place when you are finished with it.  Have a home for your keys and your phone.  

Iris L.

alz+
Posted: Tuesday, April 2, 2019 11:40 AM

Iris -

getting rid of stuff! I knew it would be helpful even if I didn't have ALZ but my partner refused to help me, he even made it worse. It drove me to divorce him.

I did read some of the cleaning theory stuff, sort only clothing, or linens or kitchen ware etc at a time.

do not multi task - yes that is really helpful. I would like to "Not Any Task" now.   

there was broom lying on laundry floor for 2 months. I stepped over it many times. Yesterday I stopped and stared at it. I picked it up and leaned it against the wall.

My mind goes from one thing and dissolves, sometimes I try to call it back but so frustrating. When an idea goes, or words in a sentence, or the hours I have each week to speak and listen to ex husband - words are evaporating. I like to hear his voice and listen to him talk without even trying to comprehend. 

I was diagnosed in 2013 and had problems for 10 years before that. When I started cbd oil back then multitasking came back in 30 minutes. I am grateful for the years I had when it could restore function for hours a day. It helps still but on other level.

Good luck finding your own means of handling this!

Iris L.
Posted: Tuesday, April 2, 2019 2:14 PM

alz+ wrote:

do not multi task - yes that is really helpful. I would like to "Not Any Task" now.     

Hah!  I call this the "don't want to," as in I don't want to do this and I don't want to do that.  There is a LOT that I don't want to do.  In fact, I am in the process of accepting my decision to withdraw from public life at this time.  I just don't have the wherewithal to deal with my own life and have a public life. I made a few commitments that I will honor, but I will be proceeding with withdrawing.

Iris

alz+
Posted: Wednesday, April 3, 2019 9:18 AM

Iris are you still on panel for April discussion?

I find the response to me being in public so disturbing I can't handle it.

Good for you taking care of your needs as you see fit.
love and courage

Mimi S.
Posted: Wednesday, April 3, 2019 11:57 AM

My reaction to forgetfullness is to shrug my shoulders  and give credit to AD.

One of the tricks, as others have said is that everything has a place and we have to learn to always return things there.

I'm also learning not to panic when I can't find something. It's probably staring me in the face and I just can't "see" it.

alz+
Posted: Wednesday, April 3, 2019 11:57 AM

VIK - mind wandering

Is your mind wandering like one thought turning into another?

Difficulty focusing on one thing at a time?

Regarding MULTI TASKING - 

I still will set out to put dirty clothes into washer and on the way find myself doing something else, but if I am out bed now I give myself credit for doing anything!

If I get dog walked the day is a success. If I do more than that it is a Wild Success. If I stay in bed most of day I tell myself it is ok, I am refueling.

Is your mind wandering similar to confusion? I find the cbd oil greases the wheels and helps me do some things. I also have had hours of super focused, one time I fixed a vacuum that had been dead for a year, was sitting in sun and suddenly thought I could fix it and sat down and the world was gone, just me and vacuum. I did fix it. It was weird and wonderful.

alz+
Posted: Wednesday, April 3, 2019 12:07 PM

I found by turning off tv I was unbound over washing dishes and also did the pan that has been there 3 days. I was enjoyably focused, sun in window, nothing broke. Also I had taken a puff.

I have had tv on on all the time since husband left, the silence was caring me, it shielded me from feeling so alone. About 3 days ago I knew this would irritate the man who has the house where I am going to live. Don't know what to call him. father of my kids. He has no TV on ever except for international soccer and then sound is off. I was terrified of turning off the tv. Of silence. 

I also sleep with computer on, youtube playing, old lectures, history, audiobooks. I turn it off and panic. Working with that too.

sensory overload is a thing

being overwhelmed by things: crowds, traffic, voices, everything moves faster than I can process.

By 1pm my day is winding up and I have stuff recorded and will lay under heavy covers and watch a movie or tv show I saved.

Multi tasking button gets stuck or fails, bummer. 

love you all so much

Iris L.
Posted: Wednesday, April 3, 2019 12:51 PM

We are like the vintage vinyl records--we operate at 33 and 1/3 rpms, while the rest of the world operates at 78 rpms.  We just are going at a slower pace.

Iris

alz+
Posted: Wednesday, April 3, 2019 2:52 PM

Mimi

true about lost things being where I'm looking, sometimes I pretend to look for something else and then I see what I've been missing.

Iris L.
Posted: Thursday, April 4, 2019 12:17 AM

Yes Alz+, I will be participating at the Early Memory Forum this coming Saturday.  I'm looking forward to it.

Iris