RSS Feed Print
Just need to talk to my friends (101)
Lorita
Posted: Monday, July 1, 2019 8:30 AM

Happy July -

We're now on the downward road toward winter - seems like only yesterday we were talking about snow and how cold it was.  Time goes by.

Sara - sounds like you feel about your nephews the way I feel about Sarah.  I guess that comes from not having our own kids so we transfer our love to them.  I also have a great nephew, Sarah's brother, but very seldom see him.  He lives in Kentucky and is a truck driver.  When he had the route through Oklahoma and Texas he'd stop by occasionally but if he was in his truck he couldn't come out.  He was in a terrible accident a few years ago and during his recovery he drove one of the cars that go in front of wide loads.  Then he could come out for a visit.

I woke up this morning at 5 a.m. with my left knee hurting like the dickens.  I'm sure I must have been sleeping with it bent - can't do that without making it hurt.  Stayed in bed until about 6, then up and out.  I did put a sleeve on it and it has helped.  So, decision about whether I'd fill the creepfeeder was made for me.  As I came back from seeing the girls I did stop and look in it - there's enough feed for a couple of days at least.  Maybe early, early tomorrow I can get it filled.

I had most of the trash together so finished doing that and sacked up 25 feed sacks into trash bags and got the trash down.  Glad that's done.

Late yesterday when the girls were coming out of the barn and going underneath the backrub, it broke.  Wish you could have seen the expression on the face of the cow that was going under when it broke.  Then, as the others came out, they'd stop and look at it.   I didn't go out to check it yesterday but did this morning.  The backrubber is probably 10 ft. long, about five inches in diameter and round.  There's a rope that goes through it and is doubled at each end so it can be attached to a chain or however you want to hang it.  One of the loops of the rope had broken.  That's what usually happens to them.  Figured out I could make a hole through the backrub below where it's clamped and put the chain through.  So, got that done and it's rehung.  Really heavy with 3 1/2 gallons of diesel in it.  Next time I go into town I'll get a new one.

Girls are at the MH but I imagine they'll come down to the barn.  It's already getting hot and it's really humid this morning.  Everything looks so pretty where they've mowed and weedeated.    I brought in a couple of hummingbird feeders to wash out, refill and hang up.  I hadn't thought about it before now and I'm not sure when they are here.  I saw a show about them on TV last night so that reminded me.  I'll get that done today.

I'm in, I hope, until late today.  Patsy has a doctor's appointment today and I know she dreads it, both for seeing the doctor and getting out in the heat.  It's supposed to be in the low to mid 90s this week with a slight chance of a shower a few of the days.  So, Sara, sounds like our weather is about the same as yours.  Do you all have a lot of humidity?

I'll stop and finish my juice and find something for breakfast.  Stay cool today.

Jo C.
Posted: Monday, July 1, 2019 2:55 PM

Had stunning news this a.m.  Our SIL, Mary, unexpectedly died last night.   I had just spoken to her a few weeks ago and though she had colon cancer, she was doing pretty well and was working and planning to continue to work. 

Because she had been so "up," and active, none of us expected this.  This is the second in-law in a month to pass away unexpectedly and as mentioned before, we have several others in the family who are also extremely ill.  It is just so very sad.

Have to finally ask; Lorita, what does MH stand for?  I have wracked my brain, but it does not compute.  Curiosity finally got the best of me.

Annual input:  Everyone, please stay well hydrated in this heat; especially when you are or have been outside working; same for our Loved Ones and especially all the gardeners and ranchers out there.  More "mature" people do not maintain hydration like they did when younger and are less likely to feel thirst.   Seniors lose liquid at a faster pace and do not absorb liquids as when they were younger.  Medications can also cause or contribute to dehydration.   So . . . lots of water and water bearing foods such as your watermelon, cucumbers, popsicles, cantaloupe, strawberries, tomatoes, and others that contain more water.

Since nursie-nurse is on a roll; signs of dehydration are:  darker colored urine, decreased urination; increased thirst; headaches; dry mouth/tongue; dizziness; confusion.  Severe dehydration:  extreme fatigue, sometimes diarrhea, nausea, rapid heart rate, sunken eyes, and skin that does not go back to elastic but stays up when pinched up.  Of course more symptoms, but these are the most common.  Okay, done badgering everyone.

We are in the low 90's today, but will be in the lower 80's on the Fourth which is good.  However, the next week it looks as though we are going to be heading for those nasty uber-heated days that try everyone's bodies and feelings.  This has been a crazy year for climate temperature, our electric bill will once again soar; but oh my, without it, it would be untenable. Come August and September we will be into the 100's and that is without the heat index.  No wonder the poor pioneer women died so young what with all the chores without appliances and the dread heat in housing that had no insulation and family to care for with the heavy duty chores including cooking and all.  Can you imagine doing the laundry for a family under those conditions?  Oh my. 

One of our nephews who is a pediatric dentist mentioned that he has a hydroponic garden; I did not have time to ask about it, but I will have to do so later; it sounds interesting.  It evidently has become a hobby for him and his wife.  I think it takes some doing to get it all set up, and also to keep it up and going.   He likes the science of it and his BIL likes the hands-on part of it.  Makes for a good team.

I am sorry to hear about your knee, Lorita.  Too much work too often, and the strain being placed on it.  Really painful.  Would sleeping with a soft neck roll pillow under the bottom part of the thigh or under the knee help sleeping at night so as not to wake with pain?  Be cautious of those knee sleeves; they can contribute to DVTs.  Sigh; seems like nothing is without a risk for negative effects.

Basically, I think it is time for a good rollicking comedy to come out; something really funny and decent to watch.  Nothing better than a good belly-laugh; but nothing seems to have been in that genre for awhile.  Well; if any of us see such a movie or series, let's let each other know.  Heaven knows, we can all use a good laugh. 

One more thing I need to understand; just what is a cow's back rubber?  Ten feet long - that is one long back rubber . . .. I cannot picture what it looks like, maybe I can find it on Google.  Thanks to Lorita, I have learned so much more about cows and their calves; it is really interesting and I now look at cows in a whole new light.  I have never touched a cow; but then I do not live in ranch or dairy country.  Our area used to be a huge area for the Dutch and Portugese dairies.  When we moved into the area, there were so many dairies around us; now they are all gone.  Sold their land for a veritable forutne and cities grew up from them.

Hope everyone has a good day and a peaceful one,

J.

Lorita
Posted: Monday, July 1, 2019 7:13 PM

Hi,

It's been a long afternoon.  I stayed in after the morning work was done.  I don't think I took a nap but was on the verge of it and imagined? that Charles and I were getting ready to take a nap.  I could see him lying in bed and for a couple of minutes I was happy with a warm, safe feeling - then it was gone!  But not the aftermath, quite a few tears have been shed after that.  Does anyone else have these moments or am I just getting goofy?  I feel like he's here when they happen and it makes me feel so good.

Jo - so very sorry about your SIL.  Those unexpected deaths are so hard to deal with.  May the other members of your family who aren't well improve.  I can remember the night phone calls we'd get when someone in the family passed away.  Made us afraid to answer the phone at night.  And, I remember the call I got from Logan telling me about Scarlet.  So hard to take.   

MH - mobile home.   When Charles and I got married we lived in a duplex in town for  about five months and felt like we were throwing away money paying rent.  It was only $90 and we had the whole downstairs - two bedrooms, LR, dining room, big kitchen and closed in back porch.  We bought a 8x30 travel trailer, moved it to an acre of land on the corner of the farm and lived there for two years.  Then bought a 14x70 MH and lived in it for 27 years.  It's still there in ill repair.  Can't be moved because there are trees all around it.  Whoever gets the farm after I'm gone will have to deal with that.  There are lots of trees and the girls spend a lot of time up there in the summer.  It's a bit higher in elevation than the farm house so there's always a south breeze.  We planted a wind break of cedars on the north side (almost froze to death doing it, too).  Our neighbor (from Chicago) told us we were making a mistake - that the cedars would take over.  The cedars are now huge and there are a lot of them in fencerows.  We loved living there but have enjoyed living in the farm house.

I just came in from seeing the girls.  I wanted to catch them coming out of the barn so I could take a picture, Jo, of them going under the backrubber.  Most of them were already out but I did get a picture of one going under and I guess it felt so good she turned around and went back under and then out again.  I got another one of a pair coming out - the baby's back wasn't reaching it but it will before long.  The pieces of material hanging down from the backrubber are called face flyps.  As the cows go under the flyps get on their face and help prevent flies - and they also touch the back of the babies.  It's 10 ft. long because you put it across a gate or between a couple of trees or posts or whatever.  They also have other sizes.  You charge them every month or so with insecticide and diesel.  It soaks into the backrubber and down the face flyps.  All the grass underneath the one I put up is now brown.  They're pretty heavy when they're charged.  We used to spray but that stressed the cattle and us - this is better for all involved.

I haven't done anything this afternoon except I did give Mr. Barclee a bath with aloe and oatmeal shampoo.  I dried him off pretty well, put him on the divan and covered him with a sarape and he's been sleeping for three or four hours.  He's just now waking up.  I'd better put him outside for a while.

I keep hydrated pretty well - I drink a lot of water.  The last two or three weeks our water, from Lake Eufaula, has kind of smelled and tasted bad so I've bought some bottled water.  I'm sure I drink a couple of liters, at least, a day.  But I am careful in the heat - it scares me because you can get too hot very fast.  Much rather be out in the cold.   Reminds me I need to get the AC in the PU serviced - but it's too hot to do it now.

Jo, I've slept with a pillow under my knee for 45 years - ever since I injured my knee.  It helps but sometimes during the night I turn on my side or bend my knee and that makes it hurt.  I don't wear the sleeve for too long at a time.  I think I wore it today for maybe six hours.  When it gets hot or bothers me, I take it off.  I bet if you did wear one all the time it could cause problems.   You're right - it's hard to know what to eat, what to drink or wear anymore. 

I sat and watched the girls for quite a while and it was so nice - I was in the shade and there was a really nice south breeze - not too hot today but it's coming.  Supposed to be in the low to mid 90s all week.  If my back and/or knee are okay in the morning I'll put the feed, or some of it, in the creepfeeder.  It's kept pretty busy with the little ones going in and out and I don't want them to run out.

Just let Barclee back in - his hair feels so soft and clean - bet he feels better.  Really wish I could manage to bathe Stormy and Sheena.

Hope you enjoy the pictures.  Also posted one of one of the altheas in the back yard and one of some of the girls in the pond cooling off.

File Attachment(s):
July 1, 2019 Althea and cows 001.JPG (144170 bytes)
July 1, 2019 Althea and cows 002.JPG (87852 bytes)
July 1, 2019 Althea and cows 003.JPG (101378 bytes)
July 1, 2019 Althea and cows 004.JPG (62917 bytes)
July 1, 2019 Althea and cows 005.JPG (102440 bytes)

Sayra
Posted: Monday, July 1, 2019 7:30 PM

I had wondered about MH too.  Thought I had let that slip by me somewhere.  Kept thinking I should be able to figure this out. Never did.

(((JoC))). Sorry to hear about your sister in law.

Lorita on the you tube channel I notice some cattle with very long horns..  I’m thinking these are Longhorns?  That looks like it would be so uncomfortable.

Hope all have a peaceful night

Lorita
Posted: Tuesday, July 2, 2019 8:23 AM

Morning,

Sara - they may have been longhorns but other cattle besides them also have horns.  The long horns have very long, curved horns.  There used to be a herd of them north of us but I don't think they're there anymore.  They're pretty but how they can be handled I don't know.  Surely couldn't go through a chute or headgate.  Many years ago we had a bull with horns so ended up with three cows with horns.  Had them dehorned.  I couldn't stay out there and Charles said we'd never do that again - too much blood.  We have a young heifer now with horns and she can't be dehorned until the frost - can't do it when it's hot because of the heat and flies.  Mike dehorned Penny a couple of years ago and there wasn't any blood so maybe that'll be the case this time.

I had planned to fill the creepfeeder this morning but all the girls were out front so I can't do it when they're around.  I've been trapped in the PU bed before when they knocked over the stepstool I use to get into the bed. When I was younger I could have jumped out but not now.   But, I got to see everyone - did too much walking but my knees are better this morning.  I thought they'd finally go into another pasture but still four were in where the feeder is.  Just now decided I'd do it anyway but now it's showering so guess I'll wait until tomorrow.  It's a bit cooler and cloudy this morning with a breeze so would have been a good time to do it.

Today should be a good day on TV - tennis (Federer plays), Denim & Co., and women's soccer this afternoon.  About 3 a.m. yesterday morning I turned off the AC in the bedroom because we got chilly and when I turned it back on the compressor didn't come on - just the fan but it was still comfortable enough to sleep well - and I did.  So, figured I'd have to call Sears to service it (thank goodness for service contracts - they actually replaced an AC a couple of years ago).  But, I turned it on a while ago and I think the compressor came on - at least it's cooling off in there.  I won't turn it off again. 

Tom and Jerry, Max and Kitt and Barclee have had their breakfast (me, too).  Now, need to feed Stormy and Sheena - they just came in and have already gone to sleep.   Time for some hot tea and vitamins.   Hope all of you have a happy and stress-free day (is there such a thing?).

telinde
Posted: Tuesday, July 2, 2019 9:46 AM

Hi all.  We’re having a storm this morning.  Thunder and light steady rain.  It’s cooler and refreshing.  I hope it rains for awhile and waters the plants.  

Lorita, I know you said MH means mobile home a long time ago, but every time I see it, I automatically think Memory Home.   Haha, guess it’s all the Alz. talk on here, or from all your wonderful memories you share with us.  I like to think it’s the good memories you talk about.

Your latest pictures of the cattle are beautiful.  I wish I could come walk the ranch with you and enjoy the cattle grazing and cooling off in the pond, and the little ones running and exploring.  At times, I still miss my childhood times growing up on the ranch.  

Jo, I am so sorry for the loss and for the trying times for your extended family members.  I will certainly keep Diane in my prayers, along with your family and friends struggling with health issues.  So many problems in one family at the same time has to be stressful.

Sara, I’ve been enjoying my SIL’s garden this year.  The fresh lettuce is so tasty.  I have my eye on a couple tomatoes.  I love the taste of fresh ones right off the vine.  The cucumbers are getting started, so I imagine I’ll be watching for little cukes soon.  I miss having my own garden.

I’m off to take care of Sofiya today, so better get myself together and get going.  I guess we are going to work on 4-H projects for dog training, archery, and rabbits.  The county fair is coming up soon and she needs to get working on the paperwork and her presentation projects.  We’ll see how much we can accomplish before we get distracted.  Lol

Hi to everyone.  Have a good day.  Joan 

Lorita
Posted: Tuesday, July 2, 2019 12:10 PM

Hi Joan,

Good to see a post from you. When I see the weather on TV and it mentions or shows Colorado, I always think of you - and other times, too.   Glad you're getting some rain and hope the storm wasn't too bad.   We've also had rain, light, all morning.  It's cooler outside but very humid.  It's chilly in the house and I just now found a light weight jacket to put on.    Right now we're not wanting rain - the meadow needs to dry out so it can be baled.  But, we take what we get and should be happy with it. 

Wouldn't it be great if you and I and everyone else could sit on the pond dump and watch the water and the cows in it cooling off?  It's great that even though we're all so far apart and  will never see each other still  have developed such good friendships.  We've all been in it for the long haul and have helped each other get through our troubles.

Are you still doing all right?  I know keeping busy helps and you're always doing something with Sofiya.  Does she train dogs and have rabbits?  She's thoroughly devoted to her livestock.   Has she gotten over the loss of her pig?  I know as we lose animals we have to get past it but it's always there in the back of our mind.

I've spent the morning switching between three channels and have actually dozed off a time or two.  All the shows were good.  I see things (clothes) I think are pretty and think about ordering them but most of the time stop myself - thinking I don't need them.  I get into a rut.  If I put together an outfit that I like and is comfortable I may wear it two or three times before switching to another.  I go to town so infrequently it doesn't matter. 

Question:  a week ago yesterday when I went to town I bought a can of peaches, a couple of cans of pureed pumpkin and some pork 'n beans.  I got all the things to the back porch and thought I got everything inside.  Sunday I went out the back door and there was the little sack with those cans in it.  My question is - are these things still good?  They've been out in the heat a week and in the sun about three hours every day.  I probably won't eat them because if I did and felt bad afterwards I'd be sure that's what caused it.  I have no idea how I missed them. 

Judith - are you still planning on making a screened-in porch?  It would really be nice when you're having light rain and it's a bit cooler.  And - have you planted your caladiums yet?   Mine are still in the process of coming up.  Almost every day I see another pretty leaf that's opened up.   The periwinkles are doing well but I still haven't found the cans of pink paint for the bathtub.  Probably never will - until I buy some more.

It's 74 degrees right now and I bet the humidity is 100%.  Guess I'll wait until morning to do anything outside like filling the creepfeeder.

I'm a little worried about Kitt, the black and white cat who had pneumonia.  He lays around all the time, doesn't have much energy and feels pretty warm, however, he has a good appetite and hardly ever sneezes.  Just hate to get him out in the heat to go to the vet.  He's started sleeping on the bed and is in there asleep now.

Hope everyone's day goes well.

Sayra
Posted: Tuesday, July 2, 2019 5:27 PM

Joan glad you have a source for nice veggies.  

Lorita don’t know if the heat will bother the canned food.  Wonder how hot it gets during transport.  Maybe google it.

I froze fresh peas today.  Have never done that before.  Mom planted enough for a large family.  She gave me two grocery bags full.  Hulled one for me and one for my sister.  Mom cooks her then freezes them.  When looked on internet they said to blanch them.  My sister says she freezes them raw. LOL.  Did a third each way and labeled them.

Lorita
Posted: Tuesday, July 2, 2019 7:22 PM

Sara, were they English Peas?  I think it's too early for black-eyed peas or crowders.  I never liked English Peas while I was growing up but now they're one of my favorite vegetables.  Several years ago there was a brand of English Peas called "Trellis".  They were early spring peas.  Can't find them now but the grocery store where I shop has a different brand but  just as good.   Have you ever made English Pea salad?   Very good - Charles and I both liked it - just canned, drained English Peas, mayonnaise, a little finely diced onion and little pieces of cheese.   Sounds like your mother really likes to garden and it's good for her as long as she's able to do it.

I've googled all I can think of about the canned stuff so guess I won't use it.  They say "if in doubt, throw it out".  

We've had a nice day, light rain off and on - we got .4".  Mike just now called and he said they just got a little bit at his clinic and just a sprinkle east of town.  It's humid and about 85 degrees now.  I just got back from seeing the cattle.  They're in the NE pasture so I closed the gate so I can get out early, early and put feed in the creepfeeder.  Got to ask him about Kitt.  He feels really warm a lot of the time and just lays around but is still eating good.  He said as long as he's eating and drinking he wouldn't do anything more.  Also asked about the cow - she's still limping some but is keeping up with the others and is grazing good - again, no treatment necessary.  Makes me feel better about them.

My side has been okay - until about an hour ago Barclee wanted out of the chair and while still sitting down I picked him up and put him on the floor and I felt the muscle pull.  Seems like just any, little thing bothers it. 

Watched the soccer match today - USA won over England.  I don't for the life of me see how those girls run so much and falling down and getting right back up.  Youth is wonderful!

Glad you got your peas shelled and in the freezer.  I think freezing them without blanching will be fine.  They also say you should blanch your sweet corn - just another unnecessary and time-consuming step.  When we used to have a lot to freeze and not much time we've even put it into brown paper sacks without shucking or silking it.  Worked fine.  When we wanted some we took it out, shucked and silked it and wrapped it in waxed paper, twisting the ends and microwaved it.  Tasted just like fresh corn.  Now, I'm making myself hungry. 

Hope all of you sleep well. 

Lorita
Posted: Wednesday, July 3, 2019 12:23 PM

Afternoon,

Did you sleep well?  I hope so.  I was up at the usual time and took care of filling the creepfeeder with 1,000 lb. of creep.  I had the girls behind a gate so didn't have to worry about them getting in the way - but they were watching.  I wanted to get it done early while it was cooler.  But, there was very little wind and it was humid but got it done anyway.  An hour later we had a nice breeze.  But I was glad I had it done anyway.  As soon as I opened the gate the little ones headed for the feeder.

Sheena enjoyed the nice, cool breeze.  She stayed out until probably 9 a.m. laying in the south yard, in the shade and in the breeze.  She and everyone else is inside now.  The Royal Empress tree, the smaller one that was 5 1/2 ft. tall a few days ago is now about 7 ft. tall.  I hope we don't have winds that will blow it over until the trunk hardens.  The other one is probably 8 ft. tall.  They grow fast and the leaves are huge.

I'm doing some laundry.  So far this morning the AC in the bedroom is working all right but it did yesterday until mid afternoon.  Eventually I'll have to have it worked on or replaced.  There's a couple of really soft places in the floor of the utility room so I've laid a board across one of them  to distribute the weight until I can get it replaced.  I hope to be able to wait until the weather is cooler but I don't want to fall through.

Talked with Patsy last evening.  Nothing came of the visit with her cardiologist, in fact, just confusion and anger.  In his report he had written that he went through her left wrist when it was really her right wrist.  Didn't even remember that she bled so much that she had to stay an extra 3-4 hours until it stopped, then had to wear some kind of contraption home to curtail the bleeding.  She left the appointment disappointed and angry.

Don't have anything interesting to write about so I'll stop.  Enjoy the afternoon.

Sayra
Posted: Wednesday, July 3, 2019 6:20 PM

Not sure what type of pea.  Just a spring pea that likes cool weather.  You hull them.  

Had over an inch of rain last night.  Has been pretty today so far

Good night

Lorita
Posted: Thursday, July 4, 2019 11:25 AM

HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY!!

How wonderful to live in a Country like the USA where we have all kinds of freedoms that sadly most of us take for granted.

There's a show with several episodes on TV today called "The Story of US".  I watched part of the first episode but didn't get to see all of it.  It goes from the time the colonies were formed all the way to I don't know when.  It would have been a really good show to have watched.  It's amazing that the Patriots were able to gain freedom from such a strong Country as England.

It's a pretty day - not too hot with some south wind and partly cloudy.  I did a few things outside this morning that I needed to get done.  Never got to see all the girls - they're at the MH now with the exception of one cow who went into the barn.  Yesterday she wanted in north of the house and this morning she was out front and went into the barn.  She keeps looking toward the MH - I think it's June's mother.  If so, don't understand why June isn't with her but she's probably with Susie.  Got worried about her so went out to check and she was laying/sitting in the cowshed so didn't bother her.  Later went out again and got her up and walked her through the barn so I could get her in the west lot and north of the house to watch her.  But, she outsmarted me and went back into the cowshed so rinse and repeat.  She's now in the west lot and can get out north and west of the house.  Her udder is full so I was worried she was going to calve - until I realized she's probably June's mom.  She's hurt one of her back legs or hip and I guess just didn't feel like walking all the way up in the pasture.  The girls will be down after while and I'll see if she is June's mom.

Hope all of you are having a good Fourth.  It's very quiet here and I hope it stays that way.  I'll watch the fireworks on TV tonight - usually watch A Capitol Fourth but do switch back and forth.  Enjoy the day and eat lots of hot dogs and hamburgers.

Sayra
Posted: Thursday, July 4, 2019 6:33 PM

Hi Lorita, Did you fix yourself a hotdog or hamburger?  I had one of each.  Another hot day.  Did all my yard work early.
Lorita
Posted: Thursday, July 4, 2019 7:28 PM

Hi Sara,

We've had another hot day, too, but the wind has blown so it hasn't been so bad.  Good you get out early and get your work done.  I do the same and usually am back in the house by 7.

I didn't have a hot dog or hamburger - haven't had either for many years.  I did watch part of the Hot Dog Eating Contest.  Joey Chestnut won again - he ate 71 hotdogs.  How do they hold so many - bet they have a stomach ache.  Why would anyone want to do that anyway?

I haven't done anything this afternoon - didn't even take a nap.  Just came in from letting the cow out.  The cows came down to the barn about 3.  When I went out just now they were down by the hog pond.  I heard a little calf bawl but couldn't get the cow to bawl to answer  but she was very alert and looking that direction.  So, I let her out and she managed to walk down toward them.  Her baby saw her and came running.  She hadn't said anything but the baby knew her anyway.  I think when I went back to check they were both standing in the pond - maybe that'll make her leg feel better.  If she'll stay with the herd tonight she'll be all right.

I talked with Sarah a while ago.  I called her a bit earlier and called five times without stopping - no answer.  So, tried again - same thing but tried once more and then she answered - very groggy.  Didn't know what day it is, etc.  She has a doctor's appointment tomorrow morning but I doubt she'll make it.  She's sleeping all day and says she doesn't sleep at night.  I know she's missing phone calls she should answer and also not answering the door if someone comes.  But, I can't do anything about it - but worry.

Hope all of you had a good Fourth. 

Lorita
Posted: Friday, July 5, 2019 12:13 PM

Hi,

Another hot day - the temperature isn't so bad but the humidity can really get to you in a hurry.  Our heat index today is supposed to be around 104.  Temperatures next week are predicted to be in the upper 90s so I hope the humidity will be lower. 

The man came this morning to do the semi-annual inspection for our generator.  I had no idea anyone was around until Stormy started barking and pulled back the curtains to see what was outside.  I hadn't heard anything.   Everything was all right.  I asked him about ants and he said he didn't see any live ones - lots of dead ones.  About a month ago there were ants in it and I sprayed, then put an ant trap in.  Don't want to have to go to the expense of replacing more parts again because of the ants.   Judith, have you checked your generator for ants? 

Very quiet here today - after he left.  I took Stormy with me this morning to see the girls - he loves to go - should take him every day.  Mr. Barclee just got up, went outside and has now finished his lunch.  I'll stop for now because I need to find something for lunch, too.

Hope you're all well today.  Finally got Alexa set up on my tablet.  I think it's a bit creepy - last night I asked her the temp and she told me, then said "good night, sleep tight".  Sometimes the questions I ask, she can't answer.  Her voice sometimes upsets the GPs.

Lorita
Posted: Friday, July 5, 2019 6:03 PM

Hi again,

Did I tell you all I have chiggers?  They're on top of my feet and a few on my legs.  This happened because I walked through tall grass in the lot without my boots on.  I've used aloe vera lotion on them but didn't help too much.  Just have to wait out.  First time I've gotten chiggers in a long time.

I laid down on the divan about 2:30, turned off the light and TV and all of us went to sleep.  I woke up a time or two but went right back to sleep.  Woke up at 4:07.  Nice nap.

This afternoon I was using the tablet and by mistake awakened Alexa.  I said "sorry, didn't mean to disturb you" and she answered "no need to apologize:"   Creepy.  I've heard people say Alexa or the other one spy on people.  Maybe technology is going to do us in but it is nice to ask a question and get an answer without looking it up.

Talked with Sarah.  She made her doctor's appointment and was just beginning to upchuck - now has diarrhea along with it.  He told her to go home and that she may have to go to the hospital if she can't stay hydrated.  He gave her some different kinds of medicine.  I was afraid she was going to miss her appointment but she didn't.

Did you all watch Macy's fireworks last night?  They were beautiful - really enjoyed them.  Lots of injuries from fireworks this year.  I heard sparklers can get up to 2,000 degrees - and this was what the kids always got to hold.

Stormy's barking to come in so I'll get off.

Sayra
Posted: Friday, July 5, 2019 7:06 PM

Sorry Lorita.  I know you don’t eat meat but I forgot.
Lorita
Posted: Friday, July 5, 2019 7:39 PM

That's okay, Sara, no problem.  We just had an outflow boundry come through.  Cooled things off and gave us a little shower.  Cooled off the girls.

Watching The Wizard of Oz.

littleme
Posted: Friday, July 5, 2019 8:34 PM

??? what is an outflow boundry???
Lorita
Posted: Saturday, July 6, 2019 8:42 AM

Morning,

It was really nice this morning just after 6 but it's already beginning to warm up - bright sunshine, for now.  Rain off and on predicted for today. 

I went out and fed the cats but girls had drifted off.  Just now took Barclee outside (I guess he jumped or fell off the bed) and saw the girls up toward the MH so got in the CW and drove up to this side of the pond to see them.  I think everyone's there.  It's always so peaceful to see the girls grazing and interacting with each other.  This morning two of the girls were in a pushing match with a little one looking on.  Don't know what the problem was but it didn't last very long.  The wind we got last night had blown the gate closed where the backrubber is so had to go back and open that. 

I had thoughts of taking Stormy in to see the vet this morning but checked him again and I think everything's all right.  He had some rough, scabby-like places on the top of his hips.  I thought it was worse than it is - only found two or three so I'll put Neosporin ointment on them.  Guess I'll put Vectra 3d on them either today or Monday morning.  I want to be sure Mike's available in case something goes wrong and he's always busy on the weekends.  Still scares me to put flea and tick control on them.

Barbara - an outflow boundary happens when there's a thunderstorm and the wind sometimes blows out from it -usually a few miles ahead of the thunderstorm.  When it gets to you the wind is pretty strong and the temperature cools off immediately 10-20 degrees sometimes.  It doesn't always happen.  You can actually see the boundary on the radar - ours usually comes from the north because that's the direction our rain usually comes from.  The one we had last evening cooled it off quite a lot.  Kind of like when a cold front comes through.  I think we had some rain last night because the seat in the CW was wet - gauge showed .5".

Jo - I watched almost all of the British Baking show this morning.  They were making mostly pies and phyllo.  I enjoy watching it and seeing how different their baking is from ours.

I think Federer plays today at Wimbledon and tomorrow is the championship game in soccer so looks like it might be a good weekend of TV.   Nothing planned for today but you never know what will turn up.

Sara - the English peas I mentioned are small, round, green peas with usually 5-7 peas in a pod.  The pods of the other kinds, black-eyed and crowder are longer with more peas inside.

Hope all of you are well this morning - enjoy the weekend.

Sayra
Posted: Saturday, July 6, 2019 3:16 PM

They would be the english type pea. 

We have had an Oklahoma week.  Cooler than you guys probably but hot for here.  High 80s and high humidity.  Getting a little rain but nothing terrible.  Pulled my carrots today.  They were nice.  May plant some more tomorrow.  

toni2
Posted: Saturday, July 6, 2019 8:02 PM

Lorita I just thought about you and all you do with the cattle. The neighbors cattle came visiting me tonight and I called to tell Chip but he wasn't home so I went out and got them back home by myself. I didn't forget how to do it. Now I'm tired so I am going to rest. I just thought you might get a laugh about that.
Lorita
Posted: Saturday, July 6, 2019 9:31 PM

Hi,

Toni - I love it!   Guess it's like riding a bicycle - something you never forget.  With our girls, at least, if we can get one moving even from half a mile away all of them will come when we honk.  Always a boss cow - but I think we have two or three.  Do they come to visit often?  I walked out among ours yesterday with my straw hat on and I really got some odd looks - until I took it off and then they were okay.  They're curious and notice everything.

How are you and Ken doing?  I hope he's still improving some and that you're better.    Good to see a post from you.  I hope you got some rest after your cattle herding - take it easy in the heat and humidity.

Sara - I love carrots - one of my favorite vegetables.  I love carrot salad but have never made it - also love them steamed or sautéed.  Daddy used to grow carrots occasionally but they weren't always nice and straight - sometimes the ground was so hard it made the root split so they looked odd but were good.  That's one vegetable that Charles and I never planted and I don't know why.

We haven't had rain here today but from three or four miles east of us all the way up to Kansas, over to Arkansas and down to Texas there was rain.  We had thunder but no outflow boundary today.  Tulsa had 2" of rain in an hour so they had some flooding.  The clouds did help it cool off some and that was good because the heat index here today was 104 and it's supposed to be higher next week. 

The bedroom AC seems to be working all right.  Compressor is going off and coming back on.  Yesterday I turned it off during the day and closed the door but kept it on and the door open today.  I think I may close it tomorrow - I think it gets the cats especially curious about what's in there.  Max went in and slept on the bed almost all day.  Little Kitt doesn't get around much.  Since he had pneumonia his lungs don't work too well so he lays around most of the time but still gets up and goes in to eat and drink.  I hate that because he was always so active.  He used to get after Max all the time and had him staying under the hassock.  Now, they seem to be good friends again.

Talked to Sarah this evening.  She sounded good and said she felt a little better.  Makes me feel better when she sounds good.  I hate that she's alone.  It's always worse when you feel bad and are by yourself.   She says she's lost a lot of weight and has a hard time keeping her jeans or shorts up.  I guess I'll always remember her as a little girl - she was so cute.  It's a shame that things turn out as they do sometimes - we never know what tomorrow will bring. 

The backrubber is still up but I kind of expect it to come apart anytime.  If I can find a cooler day I'll go in and get another one and more face flyps.  This one will be due to be recharged before long anyway.

I'm about ready for bed.  Took a short, half-hour nap this afternoon.  I'm really sleeping better since I'm back in the bedroom.  Still looking at the floors though as I walk around.

Hope all of you can get a good night's rest.  See you tomorrow.

Sayra
Posted: Sunday, July 7, 2019 1:49 PM

Absolutely poured the rain again today.  Everything was already soaked this morning.  I miss the sunshine.
Lorita
Posted: Sunday, July 7, 2019 3:05 PM

Hi,

Good you're getting rain on the garden, Sara.

No rain here but there was some fog this morning but it didn't last long. Temp is a bit lower today but humid.

Very quiet here.  Enjoy your Sunday.

Jo C.
Posted: Sunday, July 7, 2019 6:03 PM

Well . . . . shake, rattle and roll.  Oh my!   Been two really strong earthquakes and have to say, I am still unnerved.   The big 6.4 and 7.1 are 112 to 200 miles from where we live, but EEEKKK!!!!   We sure did shake; was about in the 5's when we got the big shake from Ridgecrest, and it went on and on and on and on;  we got 50 seconds of the 7.1.  Have to say, as our solid core doors began swinging back and forth in the doorways, and everything was shaking and swinging, I was scared spitless.  Still feel spooked since the experts from CalTech say expect more in the 6 range and possibly an even greater one above the 7.1, within the next week.  It is going to take awhile for me to relax and not have that on my mind.  The 7.1 was ten times more powerful than the 6.4 per CalTech. 

I am fairly fearless of most things, except earthquakes and they tend to undo me.  It is a dreadful helpless feeling.  I am okay if outside in a clear area, no problem; it is just being inside that does me in.  Being trapped; fire from a busted gas line, being crushed by debris, etc., the news does tend to focus on  those things over and over.

There I was, sitting on top of the bed working on my computer; a small quake hit, 3.0 or 3.5, I thought, and it did not last.  No problem.  About 15 minutes later - the BIG ONE - 7.1 and of course, it went on and on and on.  My heart was pounding so hard.

They tell us to drop, duck and crawl under a table.  Got to be kidding; there are those of us with ortho problems that are not able to do that, so we just take what comes and try to shield our heads.  No one tells anyone about what to do if you cannot get under a table or don't have a table. I'd hate to be in a mall or heaven forbid,  in a CostCo or Home Depot in one of these quakes.  TIMMMBER!

I would like a nice state to move to that does not get snow, no tornadoes and no hurricanes.  Oh; that would be California - I am going to have to see if I can come up with something else.  We are too "mature" to want to try and battle winter snowstorms; our joints tend to yell at us even in good weather.

The sweet aide who cared for my parents is now with my step-SIL who has the rare appendix cancer and who is now terminal.  She is such a wonderful aide.  They love her and that is good.  She bathes her every day, got her shampooed and skin moisturized, is giving the tube feedings, (SIL has not been able to take oral intake for over a year now secondary to the type of surgery.); she has cleaned out under the bathroom cabinets, changes sheets every day and has everything spit and polished.  SIL and her DH  absolutely love her.  Sure wish we could clone her; she is so good at what she does and is so kind and loving and competent.  Smart too.  They have her 24 hours, five days a week.  What a blessing.

Heavens, my hair getting cut far too short is still making me grimace when I see my reflection.  In the humidity, it curls up into a ball and I look like someone's large pet poodle.  Cannot wait for it to grow again. When it fills out, I am thinking of getting soft low lights in it; it will not make colored roots, so that is good, but it will soften some of the glaring white in front.  I do not know if I will like it, but I may go ahead and try it and see what it does; but it needs to grow some first.

The Society Garlic plants are blooming their lavender blue flowers like the dickens; it is a good year for them. When trimmed or leaves bent, you can sure smell the garlic odor.  Don't know if they are edible or not, I will not be trying that out.

Had the family room carpet cleaned and it looks so much happier; it has needed it for some time.  As soon as a week or two goes by without any BIG quakes, we will have the window washer fellow come out and do in and out and the screens.   He brings his own ladder and we have a high two story house; I do not want to think of him being knocked off his ladder.  Horrible thought.  The windows are really dusty.  I used to do them, but I was much younger and in better shape.  Heck I actually HAD a shape!

We watched/binged a Netflex mini series last week; it was good.  "The Bodyguard."  Made in England, very suspenseful with twists and turns.   Very well done.  Tonight is the last of Masterpiece's, "Endeavor."  They only had I think four in this series; too short.  "Granchester" is next I guess.  Hope they are better this season.   Still wondering what happened to all the episodes of the latest, "Doc Martin."  We have the Britbox channel, and nothing.

Lorita, you can indeed have a "hamburger."  There are some very good frozen veggie burgers at the market, that is what I use.  Put em on a bun with condiments, a bit of onion, cheese, tomato and they are really yummy. 

So the USA Soccer Team took first place!  What amazing athletes those ladies are.  I wonder how in the world they keep up running back and forth the length of that field over and over, and kicking and huffing and puffing and kicking again and again; not to mention using their heads.  Awesome end result, they surely did a great job of it.  If we could only put all that energy in a bottle.

It seems that clementines are no longer in their season, last ones not very good.  had some good Rainier Cherries this week, nice and juicy.  The blueberries were rather flat for flavor, but I put some in a cup of fruited yogurt with about 1/4 cup bran flakes and it makes a tasty breakfast dish.

I am in Lorita's camp - my right knee has been really awful this week, no trauma to it; just because it can.   Sure does cramp my style and won't go away.  Advil not effective.  Cannot figure out how our Lorita does all of what she does with all the joint issues not to mention that painful side - you are a champion in your own right, Lorita.

By the way; I so enjoyed the photos of the cattle and especially enjoyed the one of the cows in the pond.  Nice to have their own swimming pool in the hot weather.  Must be fun to watch them.

Off I go, time to get thinking about dinner since I missed lunch, time went by so fast today.

Hugs to one and all,

J.

Lorita
Posted: Sunday, July 7, 2019 8:03 PM

Hi,

Jo, this afternoon Sandy and I were talking about you (good things) and wondering if the earthquakes were near you.  I can only imagine how scared you  must have been.  They're something you can't get away from whereas if you have a cellar or safe room you can get away from a tornado.  I've only felt a couple of small tremors here but enough to make a couple of cracks in the sheetrock in the LR and they were half a state away.  Glad you and your husband survived without injury or things being broken. 

I doubt there's any way I could get underneath a table and then be able to get up but in case of an earthquake, maybe so.

I guess there's something bad about almost all of the states - heat, cold, snow, quakes, tornados or hurricanes.  Right now we're dealing with heat and humidity which is only going to get worse the first half of this week.  Oklahoma summers aren't much fun.

I'm so glad the aide is working out all right with your step- SIL.  I think if you can find a good one you're really lucky and it's better to be at home if you can when you're feeling bad.

Do the Society Garlic plants make bulbs?  Are they the blue ones you mentioned a while back?   I love blue flowers but have pulled up a lot of some kind of ground cover that has small blue ones because they were around the Heavenly Blue morning glories and wild violets - they'll come back next year.

Oddest thing this afternoon.  I noticed the back rubber had broken and fallen down so decided I'd go out and see if it could be salvaged.  When I opened the door it looked foggy - it was raining.  It rained for probably 15 minutes and the sun was shining.  You all know what that means - it'll rain the same time tomorrow (and we do have a 50% chance tomorrow afternoon).  So, came back in and watched some more TV.  I did look at the radar and there was one small storm maybe 2 miles across that had come from the NW, just over the farm and then on to the SE - no other storms around anywhere.  At least it cooled off things for a bit.

You know, Jo, I've eaten the veggie burgers, years ago and they were pretty good and are probably better now.  Maybe I'll get a package when I go to town again but I really don't miss any kind of meat - except when I see the advertisement for fried spam on TV I can remember the taste of it.  We didn't have it often but it was good.  My cousin who passed away a couple of months ago and had a feeding tube loved spam.  Patsy (it was her brother) said he told her he was so hungry for it he bought a can, put it through the blender and ate it.  I guess some cravings are not to be forgiven.

We put new windows in the house a few years ago and they're the kind that you can clean from the inside - our house is a 100+ yr. old bungalow so no really high windows.  I think I may have washed them once but the part of the house where I stay most is on the north side and I keep the insulated curtains closed so I don't see them.  There are a couple of exceptions; Stormy pulls the curtains back on a window in the dining room and puts his nose against the glass when he hears something - and in the kitchen I see little cat paw prints.  I do clean those.  When I was growing up, every spring, we took off the screens, washed them and the windows and put the screens back on.  Also washed all the woodwork in the house.  It goes beggin' now.

I cut 3-4" off the ends of my hair when I shampooed it last week but it's still long and still stands up and waves.  I did get the leave-in conditioner and it helped for a couple of days - some of the problem may be the high humidity we have.  If I had mine cut short I think it would be silver all over.  I don't plan to ever color it again - I did that twice and didn't like it.  Those times were probably 35-40 years apart.  You'd think I'd learn.

Wasn't the soccer game good?  I enjoyed every minute of it.  I don't see how those girls run so much and so fast, then get knocked down and get right back up and run again.  Did you see the two girls when they both jumped and hit their heads together?  One had a concussion and didn't get to come back in.  I never realized that soccer was such a tough game and rough.  I've wondered how tall those girls are - bet they'd tower over me at 5'6".

My knees don't bother me all the time and most of the time it's one at a time.  When they hurt I wear a sleeve for a while if I have things to do outside.  Same with my side, it's better and only hurts occasionally as does my shoulder when I try to do something I shouldn't.  Yesterday I lifted, or tried to lift a gallon of water to water the asparagus fern on the front porch.  I couldn't get it high enough and hold it there.  I try to pace myself and figure out ways to do things an easier way - sometimes it works.  But I can tell I'm not nearly as steady on my feet or as sure of myself as I was when Charles was here but then I'm 4 1/2 years older, too.  In the AARP magazine they showed four exercises you could do to help your balance.  I doubt I could do any of them because they involved bending your knees and getting down on the floor, etc.  Too far gone for that.

I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures.  The girls have that big pond in the east pasture and another smaller one in the NE pasture and they make good use of both of them.  Every day they're in one of them for a while and they swim back and forth across the big one - scares the heck out of me when they take the little ones with them.  I was watching them a day or so ago and noticed the little ones were mostly walking across the pond dump to the other side.  There's one or two older cows that do that so the babies go with them.

Just came in from cobblin' up the backrubber.  I knew the fix wouldn't last long and I doubt this one will either.  Maybe it'll last a couple of days until I get into town to get a new one.  Atwoods has them for $23. but no face flyps (maybe I can do without them).  Amazon has them for $45 plus $5 shipping so I won't order from them.  The company we used to order from doesn't ship anymore and I hate that because it was so convenient.

I didn't mean to write a book - just sometimes get started and don't have enough sense to know when to quit typing.  Doc Martin isn't on tonight but maybe I can find something interesting.  Sandy, I'm better - got out in nature for a while and it helped - hope you are, too.

Enjoy the evening - Jo, hope there are no more earthquakes for you all - stay safe.

Lorita
Posted: Monday, July 8, 2019 8:48 AM

Morning,

It's cloudy this morning but did see a bit of sun as it came up.  There's some rain south of us and heavier rain predicted for this afternoon.  I think we may have had some during the night because things were wet.  I didn't go all the way up to see the girls but did drive the CW down to the pond and it looked like there were some sprinkles on the pond.

I put Vectra 3d on Stormy and Sheena this morning.  I really debated about it but I put it on earlier this year with no problem.  Considered Seresto collars but they needed something now.  I brushed their backs and parted the hair and it was easier this time than last.  I have Max and Kitt in the bedroom until it dries, 2-4 hours. 

Supposed to be very hot and humid the next three days, then a front comes through with lower humidity and temps.  Jo, Oklahoma had a 3. something earthquake this morning SE of here - I didn't feel anything but don't know what time it happened.  I really hope you all don't have any more.  I've always heard horror stories of a "big" quake out there and California falling into the ocean.  Don't think that could happen though.

Nothing on the schedule for today but I might cook some beans in the slow cooker.  I've been thinking about that for a few days.  I love to use the slow cooker for that - just look the beans, wash them, put them in and cover with water + a couple of inches, turn on high and watch to make sure the water doesn't get too low.  When I was growing up our noon and evening meals were built around beans.  Of course there were other things including lots of vegetables and meats but always beans.  When Charles and I got married I was so used to that I hardly knew how to prepare a meal  without having beans.  Thankfully, Charles was working as a chef so he helped me with that problem. 

My side hurts a little bit this morning and last night I realized why.  Yesterday I carried an anaplas block from the carport to the CW, several yards.  They weigh 37 lbs. so I imagine that's what the problem is.  My chiggers are still driving me nuts - so itchy on the tops of my feet and a couple on my legs.  I have some anti-itch cream so should use that.  I've been using Calamine Lotion.   So, if you live in Oklahoma or Arkansas or nearby, don't walk in tall grass without boots on or you'll pay the consequences. 

Enjoy the day.  Time for a bite to eat.

Lorita
Posted: Monday, July 8, 2019 2:22 PM

Hi again,

I found my cans of pink paint!!   I thought I'd looked everywhere and had pink paint down on my list to buy.  I took the trash down this morning and when I came back in the back door I saw a plastic sack in a flower pot, looked in it and there it was. I'll try to paint the bathtub late this evening if it isn't raining or tomorrow.  Glad I found it - thought I was going nuts.

Not raining here yet but it's closing in by the looks of the radar.  I love rain but at this point it's important that we don't get any for a few days and have warm to hot weather to dry out the meadows so people can bale their hay.  I'm kind of getting worried about ours and there's nothing we can do without Mother Nature's help.

Stormy and Sheena seem to be doing fine.  They've been quiet this morning and sleeping.  It's been six hours since I put on the Vectra 3D but I'll keep watching them anyway.   Right now everyone in the house is asleep except me and I probably will be in ai few minutes. 

Sandy, I made an appointment a while ago for Friday morning to have my lab work.  Thanks, friend, for the little push.  It's supposed to be cooler Thursday and Friday so I'll go in early, get the backrubber, get my lab work done, some groceries and get back home.  Good that I could get in - the clinic isn't open Friday afternoons.  I'll be there before the appointment time so maybe I can get it done earlier.  The hard thing is doing without my juice until after the lab work - but I always take a bottle of it with me to drink after the blood is drawn.  Checked my sodium level and it was 145, I think - within normal limits.

Haven't talked with Sarah - will later.  This weekend was not a good one for Patsy.  She was having a lot of heart and left arm pain.  She said she had taken quite a few nitroglycerines and they didn't seem to help.  She's thinking about making an appointment with the doctor who put in the first stent.  He left Muskogee, went to another state and now has returned to McAlester - about 45 miles from her house. I told her if she did make an appointment that I'd be happy to drive them.  She can do pretty well driving - her problem is ambulating. 

Okay, just wanted to tell someone I'd found my paint.  The GPs and Barclee don't seem to care too much.  The flowers (periwinkles) in the bathtub are really pretty and will be much prettier when the bathtub is painted.  I'll take a picture in a few days to let you all see how it looks.    I think the girls may be in the barn - they were drifting this way early this morning.   When I was watching them, from the house, I saw one little calf (one of the little girls) quite a ways from the others.  Her mother must have called her because all at once she took off running as fast as she could toward one of the cows -  maybe it was time for breakfast. 

Okay, see you later.

Sayra
Posted: Monday, July 8, 2019 6:10 PM

Glad you found it.  Been a pretty day.
Jo C.
Posted: Monday, July 8, 2019 7:50 PM

Hurray for finding that pink paint!   Isn't it a good feeling when we find something that we were looking for?   We will be looking forward to the photo of the old fashioned bath tub planter when it is all done.

By the way; what does MH stand for when you write that is where the cattle are placed?  I cannot figure it out. 

I am also trying to figure out if the Sandy you are speaking of in the last Posts is our Australian Sandy or someone else.   Our Australian Sandy is something, isn't she?  Boy; she could go on the programs for, "Survivor," or the "Amazing Race," and sweep everyone off their feet; there is also, "Naked and Afraid," but after seeing the previews of that, I am already afraid and I am in my own living room.   Not for our Sandy; nope, uh-uh.   Naked, in a jungle, with bugs, with a strange man . . . . .what the heck is that all about . . . . prefer PBS methinks.

Have fun getting that planter painted and then sitting back and enjoying it.

J.

Lorita
Posted: Monday, July 8, 2019 8:50 PM

Hi,

I'm watching Secrets of the Zoo: Keepers Tales.  It showed a leopard after having her cubs and how they watched and took care of her. Just now showed a newly born baby giraffe.  Really an interesting show.  They really seem to take good care of the animals.  It's a zoo in Columbus.  The baby giraffe just now got up and is already nursing - just like calves. 

Jo, MH is my abbreviation for mobile home.  It's on the SE corner of the farm and where Charles and I lived for many years before we lost my parents and moved down to the farm house.  It has a big yard and garden area with lots of trees and is a little bit higher in elevation so when there's a good breeze they sometimes stay up there in the shade.  We have a couple of Asian pear trees and I have to be really careful when they have fruit to keep it picked up so they won't eat it whole and get choked.  I need to get up there and see if there are any on the trees.  There's always one or two cows that get there in the mornings before the others so I have to hurry and get there before any of them.  I smash them with my foot so they can eat them easier.  They're really delicious and so juicy when they're ripe.

The Sandy I refer to is Sasue.  She used to be on the forum quite a lot before she lost Rich and now still posts occasionally.  We've developed a good friendship and talk on the phone often.  She keeps me on the straight and narrow.  In fact, we had a good visit yesterday.

You're right about our Aussie friend, Sandra.  She's a brave lady.  I don't think, I know, that I'd never make a long trip by myself.  Really sounds like she's having a wonderful time in her RV. I don't watch any of the shows you've mentioned but have seen the previews of Naked and Afraid.  I don't understand why anyone would be on a show like that.

I'm glad I found that paint, too.  I hate to misplace something and am always so glad when I find it.  We've had the bathtub for many, many years.  On our way to work we passed a house where the bathtub was.  They always had petunias in it and I thought it was so pretty.  So, one day we stopped and asked them about it and they sold it to us - I think for $25 - not sure.  It's an old, clawfoot tub and is heavy.  It took all four of us to get it into the back of the PU.  I have no idea how Charles and I got it out and made sure it was level.  It's sunk a bit on one corner but there's no way I could get it level so we'll live with it.  We have an old water pump and always thought we'd put it at one end of the tub (like we could pump water into it) but never got it done.  Come to think of it I haven't seen that pump in a long time - I'll look for it tomorrow.

I've tried petunias and it's too hot where it sits - doesn't get shade until very late, almost dark.  Then tried Blue Bonnets which were pretty for two or three weeks.  Finally tried planting vinca and they do very well in the hot sun.  We used dirt from the fields along with quite a lot from the inside of the barn which is very rich so it dries out pretty fast.  I didn't get anything planted in it last year so decided I would for sure this time.  Both of us really enjoyed looking at it.

The Royal Empress trees are growing like weeds.  The one that's been there for years that keeps getting broken but comes back, is at least 7' tall and the other one is even taller.  Around the other one  there are probably a dozen more.  I've left them probably too long trying to decide which one to keep.  I'll keep the tallest one.  Bryon has been so careful when he mows around them - there's another one I'd like to keep, away from the others, but it's too close to the big hackberry and Golden Chain tree. There's another tree on the north of the Golden Chain or Rain tree that's broken and I'm hoping Bryon will be able to take it down later this summer so the Rain tree will do better - it's in between the two trees so isn't growing like it should and you can hardly see the blooms.

I've written way too much so I'll stop for tonight.  Hope all of you enjoy the evening and have a good night's sleep.   Just saw a baby rhino born - they're so cute.

Lorita
Posted: Tuesday, July 9, 2019 7:40 AM

Morning,

It's beautiful out this morning but we'll have heat advisories today and tomorrow.  The girls are down in the NE pasture grazing but they'll be up soon - not sure if they'll go into the barn or not - probably would be better outside if there's a breeze.  I hate this time of year when it's so hot you don't even want to go outside but that's the way it is here.  We have a "cold" front coming through Wednesday night and it will lower the temps a few degrees and also we'll have lower humidity. 

Something has been just outside of the yard.  Not a good thing to talk about before breakfast but I was getting the dry catfood out of the trunk of the car and noticed a couple of places where something had pooped.  Almost as much as the GPs do.  There's no big dogs around so it must have been a wolf - wasn't more than 20 ft. outside the yard fence.

I just turned on the bedroom air conditioner.  I don't do well sleeping with an air conditioner on in the room.  I'm keeping it on during the day along with the one in the utility room and the house is nice and cool.  At night I turn off the one in the bedroom and it's still comfortable - I even had cover (light weight quilt and sheet) when I woke up and wasn't hot.  It would be nice to have central air but the two small air conditioners and the bigger one in the LR (which is seldom used) are enough.  I grew up without air conditioning so this is good.

I talked briefly with Sarah last evening.  I called two or three times with it going to voice mail, then she texted me asking me to call.  There's something wrong with her phone.  We were talking and all at once she was gone.  She has some kind of I-phone and doesn't know how to use it and it's not working right.  I told her all she needs is a little flip phone like Patsy and I have.  Hopefully it'll be working this morning so she can get in touch with Todd to get her a different phone.  I'll try calling her after a bit and if there's no answer I'll call him. 

Didn't get the beans cooked yesterday so may do that today - nothing else planned.  I did get the grass out of the bathtub and watered the vinca but I won't paint the bathtub until it's cooler.  The Royal Empress trees are beautiful and growing so fast - you can almost see them grow every day.  I may have waited too late for me to be able to cut the others - we'll see. If so, I'll ask Bryon to cut them.  I need to call him to mow this weekend.  I found some kind of plant underneath the edge of the holly in front of the house that looks like it might be another empress tree.  It so, it's the first time I know of that one has come up from a seed.

Going to stop and finish my juice and get on with my day.  Hope all of you are well this morning.

Sayra
Posted: Tuesday, July 9, 2019 10:22 AM

Very hot here again too.  Yesterday was a little more pleasant.  Just the same here, nothing new. Hope they show up to mow my lawn today.
Lorita
Posted: Tuesday, July 9, 2019 1:05 PM

Hi,

Sara, are you doing all right?  Your posts the last couple of days have been pretty short.  Hope everything's all right.   It's hot here today, too, but there is a pretty good breeze.  I know it's much hotter in town with all the pavement.  I can always tell a big difference when I get home from town.

Everyone's asleep right now - I should be, too, and maybe I will be later.

Had some bad news again this morning from Sarah.  I was talking with her last night or late evening and she said she was having trouble with her phone.  It went dead so I tried her a couple of times and decided it was the phone - may have been.

This morning just after 8 she called to tell me she had been in the hospital and had just gotten home.  I don't know exactly what happened - whether she had a seizure and fell or what.  She said T's partner had brought her some lemonade and I still don't know if he was there before, after or while the medics were there, who called them or what.  A lot of unanswered questions.  She said she was covered in blood again - I think she had lacerated her lip.  She told me the doctor did a CT scan and told her she had broken her neck.  Years ago she had a really bad neck injury.  She's wearing a collar.  If her neck is broken I don't think they would have sent her home but what do I know.  She said they told her to wear it for two weeks and come back.  She sounded groggy so guess they had given her some pain medicine.

So, I don't know what happened.  I called D. and left a message so I could find out if he was there or if he knew what did happen.  No return call and he may not call.  She did say she tried to call T. - no answer so they called D. and he brought her home - said he had the house keys so I guess he was there when they took her to the hospital.  She told me she wears a medical alert button all the time - I didn't know that but I'm glad she does.

Maybe I'll find out what really happened.  Just keeps a person upset.  I know she isn't able to be by herself but I don't know the solution to that problem either.  Did say she called T, I guess after she got home and go no sympathy there, only  enough words that she was really upset.

I don't know what's going to come of this situation.  I can't do anything about it - not my place to interfere in their relationship but I do know something has to be done about her living situation - but what?

UPS just delivered a couple of cases of cat food so I took the dolly out and brought it in.  He doesn't come into the yard so leaves whatever it is on the car, just outside the yard.  He's afraid of the dogs, I guess. 

Sara - stay inside and stay cool.  Fall is only 63 days away.  How are those tomatoes doing?