RSS Feed Print
A big disappointment
Iris L.
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2019 1:41 AM

I attended a talk by a young local geriatrician yesterday.  The talk was about diseases that older adults must beware of:  heart disease, stroke, diabetes, osteoporosis, cancer and dementia.  The talk was great except fot what he had to say about dementia.  He told the audience of older adults, if they are concerned about their memory, then they don't have anything to worry about, because people are not aware if they have serious memory problems.  We all know this is not the case.  I was very disappointed to hear him say this.  I felt he was misleading people.  I would not want him to be my geriatrician.  He would be the type of doctor to let a person go on for years until the dementia was well entrenched and obvious to the layperson. 

Iris

jfkoc
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2019 9:08 AM

He needs to read some current material asap!
JCBeckwith
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2019 1:53 PM

I am sooooo sorry you had to experience that type of meeting.  I too experienced that type of meeting when I was looking for help for my husband who was diagnose at an early age 57 at the mid-stage of Alzheimer's. 

Please keep in contact if you like.  I would LOVE to HELP you.  To make sure you do not go through what I experienced getting help for my husband.

Sincerely,

JCBeckwith

Iris L.
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2019 2:55 PM

Thank you, JCBeckworth.  I have been getting much support from my fellow members on these boards over the years.  I posted this as example and a warning to others, that even board-certified professionals may be clueless, and will give out false and misleading information.  We must always be wary and seek out reliable sources of information and advice. 

Jfkoc, many professionals are resistant to learning anything that disputes what they already "know."

Iris

jfkoc
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2019 4:50 PM

Thats frightening...
Iris L.
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2019 11:07 PM

I don't mean for it to be frightening, I mean for it to be empowering.  If we are aware of what we are up against, we can better confront it.  PWDs need to know that not all professionals have their back, so they won't give up and become discouraged by the clueless ones.

Iris