RSS Feed Print
Young onset dementia but no family history
Daniel1
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2019 12:03 AM

My mum was diagnosed 8 years ago. her symptoms began 11-12 years ago and now she is in the very last stadium of her disease. My mum has no family history her parents died because of other things and both were 60+. And none of her siblings has Dementia. Is there anybody who’s parents had/have early onset dementia and no family history and no other affected persons in he family? Because I’m very scared that i might inherit the diesease i watched some profiles and some of you had early onset Alzheimer’s and many relatives wo also developed the disease at a young age. Sometimes i think that i don’t have to be scared that much because my mum had some Strom risk factor and as I already said no family history. But then I think what if she is the first one in the family and me or my siblings will also develope the disease at a young age. In the last six months I developed a anxiety disorder connected with panic attacks and a always have to search in the internet and look for information about this devastating disease and that’s what really destroys me because there are several different informations like some websites say that early onset dementia is mostly nonfamilal and only in 10% of the cases a mutation is the cause. And then there are websites that say nearly all early onset dementias are genetic. So my question to you do you maybe know a person where the parents had the diesease and the children didn’t inherit this diesease? It would be very nice if you answer me because I’m really nervous and stressed. And sorry for my bad English I’m from Germany.
RIM
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2019 5:56 AM

Everyone is at risk for dementia.  I think in the not too distant future,  there will be drugs available to treat symptoms and eventually prevent the disease.  As a young person,  you will very likely have treatment and preventative options available-  if you do in fact develop the disease in the distant future.
Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2019 7:09 AM

RIM - I like your vision and I do believe you are right. It’s just a matter of time.