RSS Feed Print
Information about Eoad
Amelillo99
Posted: Monday, October 7, 2019 1:02 PM

Hello, my mother has Alzheimer’s since 10 years now and she was diagnosed at the age of 
56. when I search for information in the internet i can’t find any helpful things. That’s why I wanted to ask you if anybody can tell me whether Eoad does always run in families because my mom was was the only one with this diesease her parents didn’t have Alzheimer’s just like her siblings. And is the Risk among relatives higher than in load?

Lane Simonian
Posted: Tuesday, October 8, 2019 9:36 AM

Early onset Alzheimer's disease is usually but not always the result of genetic mutations.  A traumatic brain injury or repeated concussions may increase the risk for early onset Alzheimer's disease.  There are likely other factors as well, but it is not a topic that is well-studied.

If one carries a particular gene they will always get early onset Alzheimer's disease, but the age of onset is determined by other factors.  Having a family member with late onset Alzheimer's disease (depending on the cause of causes) may put a person at a somewhat higher risk of getting the disease.  For example if family members are genetically prone to diabetes or high blood pressure that increases the risk for each family member.

Amelillo99
Posted: Tuesday, October 8, 2019 1:31 PM

Thanks for the Information I have written an email to a organization called https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/about-dementia/types-dementia/what-causes-young-onset-dementia. They say that only 7-12% of all Eoad cases are caused by a genetic mutation
Lane Simonian
Posted: Tuesday, October 8, 2019 6:39 PM

Wow, I did not realize the percentage was so low.  Thank you very much for the information.
Lane Simonian
Posted: Wednesday, October 9, 2019 3:04 PM

This is an interesting article that seeks to explain why the figures regarding the percentage of people with early onset Alzheimer's versus late Alzheimer's disease and figures regarding the percentage of individuals who develop Alzheimer's disease due to deterministic genetic mutations versus other factors are so squishy.

https://www.alzforum.org/early-onset-familial-ad/overview/what-early-onset-familial-alzheimer-disease-efad

Amelillo99
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2019 10:08 AM

Yes i know this article but to be honest i don’t know what i should think because every article about EOAD says different things for example if you google early onset AD and read the article about it on Wikipedia they say that only 13% are familial and then there are articles like this one where they tell us 50% are genetic and the others are likely also because of mutations. In this Study you can read that only about 10% of the probands had a Autosomal dominant mutation the others believed to be recessive https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3332307/
Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2019 10:30 AM

I believe the number is more like 2 -4%. But the real question is why doses any of these numbers mean so much to you? If someone has it they have it. That is all that matters. 

Amelillo99
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2019 11:04 AM

Because it’s a very difficult topic and my mother has Eoad but her parents and siblings are unaffected so it would be interesting to know if Eoad is always the result of mutations but no article is really helpful because Most of the articles say that Eoad is mostly sporadic and the same disease like load while some articles tell us that Eoad is mostly genetic and strong heritable like the article https://www.alzforum.org/early-onset-familial-ad/overview/what-early-onset-familial-alzheimer-disease-efad they say that most cases are genetic. And this article say that most cases are sporadic https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/about-dementia/types-dementia/what-causes-young-onset-dementia.
Lane Simonian
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2019 11:36 AM

I suppose it is only natural to try to find a cause.  On the other hand, I doubt that we will ever know exactly what percentage of cases of early onset Alzheimer's disease are caused by genetic factors.  Deterministic genes magnify other insults to the brain, but if the insult to the brain is great enough it can cause early onset Alzheimer's disease in the absence of genetic factors.  
River48
Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2019 7:48 AM

My husband was 57 when diagnosed.He was treated for 8 months for post concussive disorder then got an AD diagnosis put on meds.Then ,ended in the hospital because the meds almost gave him a heart attack. Then ,a new diagnosis of FTD with no meds. Then, the diagnosis was "we have no idea"He died less than a year ago and I had his brain donated. He had CTE.Had I not done this, my daughter would still be wondering if she was at risk. His family has no history of any brain diseases.Good luck to you.Sadly sometimes an autopsy is the final diagnosis as our neurologist explained to us.
Amelillo99
Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2019 10:40 AM

Yesterday i talked to our neurologist and he told me if there is no family history of eoad it’s probably sporadic and not the result of a genetic mutation. And he said my mother has a lot of risk factors like diabetes high blood pressure and no education because she was born in a small village in Morocco.
alz+
Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2019 11:35 AM

River48

you wrote about serial diagnosis

this is maybe more the way it goes than not for most of us. lots of women are diagnosed bi-polar or other mental illness before they find out what it is. years spent on wrong medicines and suffering the consequences.

thank you for contributing your story and information. How smart and kind of you to have his brain used to help us all.

Iris L.
Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2019 7:08 PM

River, I used to ask new members about a history of head trauma, recent and past, especially in childhood.  Researchers are only now discovering the effects of chronic repetitive head trauma later in life.  I'm sorry about your husband.

Iris L.

River48
Posted: Friday, November 1, 2019 7:27 AM

Thank you Iris.After his last concussion ,things changed dramatically.As each concussion has a cumulative effect on the brain.Last week I found an SD card in a hunting camera he owned On the SD were over 200 pictures of his last construction jobs with him in many of the shots goofing around.That was 3 years ago that the last pic appeared and we commemorated the 1 year date of his death 3 days ago. How quickly CTE moves. I would never believe it was EO and so glad I donated his brain.He had one last job to do.