RSS Feed Print
Brain Recovery through Intranasal Light Therapy?
Steve3D
Posted: Friday, August 23, 2019 10:24 AM

My apologies.  Hit the "Post" button twice.  Too much coffee.
HowDoYouDeal
Posted: Friday, August 23, 2019 11:21 AM

I saw this and thought of your wife's recent testing. Bear in mind, this is ADVERTISING , its probably one person.  It could even be a 'visual depiction of score improvements' or some such _ _ _ _ ....ahem.  But I didn't see any obvious asterisks at first glance.

Obviously I want it to be legit,  and the research is very promising, improved mood, improved sleep, less aggression,but I haven't dug in much.

Larry has seen improvements early on. And another guy have seen improvements as well

but have a look at the clinical trials, look for LarrytheRunner.  

Early Clinical Evidence

Steve3D
Posted: Friday, August 23, 2019 6:04 PM

I've been following Larry for a while, and now the clinical studies.  Do I jump at everything I see out there?  Yep.  But I struggle to hold back a bit before throwing money at it, or worse, endangering my wife.

My wife's clock drawing test always brings me to tears.  That's the simple one that I'll use to guage any improvement.  I'm not smart enough to get more complicated than that.  

HowDoYouDeal
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2019 11:45 AM

Have you written to Larry, he's really cool.
Steve3D
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2019 7:09 PM

I haven't contacted Larry directly (via this site).  But, his Montelukast posts were among the first I read that fired me up into a frenzy.  I actually bought shares in IntelGenX.  (As is my traditional stock-picking style, I bought high.  But, that's another story for another time.)  

Between you (How Do You Deal), Larry, Lane, and others researching alternatives, I see hope out there.  Will it be in time for my wife?  In reality, probably not.  But, you've all given me things to think about, and things to try.

I'm still practicing Patience on the clinical studies for Montelukast and Vielight.  That's hard to do.  On the positive side, pacing back and forth while waiting is probably good exercise. And doesn't high blood pressure count as an anaerobic workout?

I'm still doing daily Vielight sessions on my wife.  It's been 39 sessions so far.  Am I seeing a difference?  Possibly a small change.  My wife sometimes seems more perky, for lack of a better word.  She sort of seems more alert.  It doesn't always last, and she does fade in the evening.  It's been 3 (!!!)  days in a row without having to change the bed sheets.  I don't expect that to last, but it's a small celebration (taking what I can get).

My wife's short term memory is still nonexistent.  I wish I had the words to describe the positive change I MIGHT be seeing.  It's more like she sometimes seems a bit less confused.  It isn't consistent.  

Now, the Facts of Life:  I may very well be seeing something that isn't really there.  Simply a monster case of wishful thinking.  I am not a disinterested, clinical observer, nor will I ever be.  There is no possible way for me to distance myself.  All I can do is keep trying the Vielight sessions, along with acupuncture, aroma therapy and supplements.  It's a bit of a shotgun approach, but it's all I have.

So, like everyone else, I wait for the science nerds to do it right.  And I remain hopeful.

Thanks to everyone who keeps looking.

Lane Simonian
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2019 9:26 PM

It is all you can do.  A little more alertness, a little more awareness, perhaps a bit more sleep at night, some better recognition of time and place, a somewhat better quality of life.  We are not at a point where we can vanquish this disease, only hold it somewhat at bay.
HowDoYouDeal
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2019 12:00 PM

Since its not me actually doing it, its easy for me to think I would do absolutely everything, 

eat tumeric non-stop, take every drug out there, leave antibiotics to go bad on my windowsill then drinking them -everything, but since I am not in the situation I can't really say.   The nice thing about the light therapy is that is hasn't and can't foreseeably cause any harm.

It it possible that your hope to see improvements colours your perception, but three nights in a row is a fairly bias-free measure. 

I am encouraged by the good news. Thank you

Steve3D
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2019 6:52 PM

Colored perception?  Wishful thinking?  Leaping to conclusions? Jumping the gun?  Hoping against hope?  How many other ways can I say I should never, ever "publish" results based on short data.

After three days of not doing laundry (I'm calling it my Summer Vacation), it all came crashing down.  Last night was a wet bedding night.  My wife was also up several times during the night, wandering through the house.  That's something she hasn't done for a few months.  Then, she had a daytime urinary "accident" while eating lunch this afternoon.  The daytime accidents are (were?) too rare to mention.  Today has also been a day of more confusion on her part.

So, I'm going to shut up, double the beer and antidepressant dosage, continue the Vielight sessions, et al,  and wait for the real science folks to publish their results.  I do more damage to myself by grasping at short-sighted, non-existent straws.

HowDoYouDeal
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2019 7:33 PM

If you believe the movie 50 first dates and some science here and there, talking about a event, re-thinking about an event and in particular, watching a video of yourself recounting events helps encode a memory from the short term to long term memory.

Before smartphones with camera and video camera capabilities really took over the market,there was briefly a small camera device worn on a lanyard around the neck that took a photo every ten minutes.

There was/is (?) a service that records images throughout the day and builds them into a sort of a video about your day.

I think I saw on the television, a woman who could not recall wrapping presents with her husband earlier in the day, but when she saw the pictures, it came back to her.

In an episode of the Good Wife the teenage son sets up his cell phone to take a photo every 10 minutes creating a sort of surveillance record. I've heard 'anyone' can do this. 

I have a blackberry from 10 years ago, I don't understand how it works, but, ... um... do you know any teenagers?

Have you or your wife every tried using a "memory palace"? Its about linking an idea to a very specific part of an image you know ridiculously well, people often use rooms in a house.

Not sure if that is just the sheer repetition, or maybe adding another sense, visual, make it more powerful.  It seems the memories are easier to remember because the neural network pattern has already been built, each time we remember the same event the connection gets stronger. As long as there is enough myelin.

There is a really good Ted talk by the author of Still Alice about creating as many connections as possible, to create resilience and another one called Feed your Mitochondria.

I am not sure that pacing counts as aerobic exercise, take it easy on the pacing.

HowDoYouDeal
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2019 8:35 PM

Awe man, rats, darn and phooey. That's right I said it Phooey.

You probably don't food journal. My family are all fairly sensitive to one food or another. Personally, if I eat wheat, I puff up like a balloon, and my joints scream in protest. With such a strong corrective force when I stray, I am learning to eat less wheat. But I still don't food journal, maybe if I had a phone with a tracking app.

When I have joint pain at night, I get up and walk around. A hot bath helps.

Anyway, your post got me thinking about the things I've heard about the bladder being sensitive to certain foods and food additives (msg?). Including molds in peanuts and red food colouring increase bedwetting in children.

Also, any virus, including the common cold can increase the inflammation in the bloodstream and temporarily increase symptoms of dementia.  Gingivitis? yeast infection? hmm what else....

Anyway the text under the image says that  marshmallow and activated charcoal, thistle etc I can't remember them all......can all help to detoxify, though I hate that word, and improve the immune system (hey I saw it on the internet, there was a graphic,  it has to be true!!)

Maybe Lane can corroborate or dispute whether these herbs would be appropriate for  this aflotxin reduction idea

https://draxe.com/nutrition/article/aflatoxin/

HowDoYouDeal
Posted: Wednesday, August 28, 2019 8:05 AM

If night-time wandering hasn't happened for a few months, (unless medications were changed)

could that be a good thing. 

Reverting to behaviour from a few months ago, that's back in time. this disease progresses with time. Could night wandering fade with disease progression?  Grasping at straws. I really have no idea, I just want to find something good.

Lane Simonian
Posted: Wednesday, August 28, 2019 9:26 AM

I have a wheat allergy which I blame on pesticides (no one in my family has Celiac disease so genetics probably does not play a role in my case).  The doctor (a nice doctor) originally diagnosed it as ulcerative colitis and wanted to prescribe prednisone, but I politely turned him down remembering the problems my father had with prednisone.  

I was in so much pain that I had to sit down for portions of my class.  A nutrition student asked what I was eating before my stomach went bad.  I said sandwiches, pasta, pizza.  And she responded you likely have a wheat allergy.  I stopped eating anything with wheat and starting taking curcumin and that over time took care of the problem.  

On a hunch, I typed in curcumin and aflatoxin and came up with this study.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1394115

Spices reduce oxidative stress and inflammation and thus potentially have an application for many diseases, including Alzheimer's disease.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5320868

Steve3D
Posted: Wednesday, August 28, 2019 10:40 AM

My overreaction, both to the good and to the bad, is considered normal for me.  I have yet to find a middle ground in anything.

I'm digesting the food situation in our house (no pun intended.  Well, maybe . . .).  Being a terrible cook, I need easy recipes with not too many complicated ingredients.  My wife's a vegetarian, so if anyone out there has a suggestion for a good (read that as easy) recipe book, or a website with good (easy) recipes, please do let me know.

My thanks to you all.

Steve

HowDoYouDeal
Posted: Thursday, August 29, 2019 10:55 PM

Wow, Saffron and donepezil, similar effects in one study. Some produce results, others don't, I wonder if the quality and age of the Saffron has something to do with it.

I glanced quickly through and saw the bit about a 20x increase in bioavailibility with piperine. So Tumeric and black pepper hunh?

https://www.turmericforhealth.com/turmeric-benefits/health-benefits-of-black-pepper-and-turmeric

I love when science breaks down exactly how these natural remedies people have been using for hundreds of years, work.

HowDoYouDeal
Posted: Thursday, August 29, 2019 11:48 PM

Lane,

I've heard enough anecdotes from people returning from Europe, saying that they ate bread and pasta and didn't have a problem, that its entirely possible that the seemingly growing intolerance to wheat is a gift from our friends at Monsanto et al.

But we both know that genotype does not equal phenotype, so your family could have had the potential to develop celiac, but they didn't line up exactly right to produce celiac, until you. Oh, lucky you.

I am thinking of dominant and recessive genes. Just cause you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't in there.

Pizza Nova makes a darn good gf crust, from scratch. Oh and have you tried the cauliflower egg pizzas? So good.

Oh, I'd love to know what you think of the potential for non-focused pulsed ultrasound, at 750 mHz to have a beneficial effect on the brain with delivery via the temporal bones. I was reading that at pulsed frequencies higher than ____(100? 200? #&! ) the wave itself is negligible in the near_____ (darn it what is the distance scatter zone called?) and it really only has an effect at the end of the wave. So it doesn't do much until it has reached the maximum distance. Which could be useful.

I have such a hard time keeping wave frequency separate from pulse frequency in my mind And I get my sound and light properties all muddled together. Like is the ?shape? of the near-infra-red light changed by pulsing?

Oh and if you have any practical suggestions for creating the smallest possible device that would create the 40Hz flicker, I'd really like to create a circular web of led lights (while looking as much like crystals or beads, as possible ) to wear in my hair like cleopatra. Head Chain

Draped Chain Halo Headwrap

HowDoYouDeal
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2019 12:03 AM

Steve.

I totally did not get why less sunlight could possibly cause sun-downing. I was thinking just because there is less light doesn't mean you wouldn't recognize people. Then I read this:

Shadows. And I remembered that for people with ADHD its a problem of focus, of being exposed to too much stimuli and not being able to ignore the things you want to, like shadows as they grow and move.

As I write this, I wonder, does artificial lighting look different than sunlight to someone with AD. Do the multiple sources of light and shadow cause confusion? Would we all benefit from going back to old power-gulping incandescent light that more closely resembles light from the sun?

Would a light from the pet store for an iguana tank stop mold from growing in my bathroom?

Lane Simonian
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2019 9:25 AM

I have read these anecdotes too and want to try eating wheat in a place that does not use pesticides some day.  If that does not work, I will chalk it up to being unlucky.

Curcumin and piperine is a good combination to increase the absorption of the curcumin.  Most studies on turmeric/curcumin alone for Alzheimer's disease have not been positive.  Here is one exception (maybe there is a difference between its effect on behavior versus cognition).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3665200/

And the study on saffron.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20831681

Wavelengths are tricky things.  Certain wavelengths increase oxidative stress and other wavelengths decrease oxidative stress.  That is why you see studies claiming cell phones protect against brain cancer and others that claim it increases the risk of brain cancer.  In the larger picture any wavelength or herb that decreases oxidative stress has the potential to treat Alzheimer's disease.

There was once an engineer on this site who developed an ingenious mask device for increasing inhalation of essential oils.  I wish that he were still here to work on a better light therapy device.

I never thought about differences in light sources affecting sundowning, but that very well may be at least part of it.  Seasonally, I think fluctuating levels of Vitamin D play a role in mood and behavior.  Maybe, though, not enough to affect one daily (that was my previous idea, but yours seems more likely).

HowDoYouDeal
Posted: Tuesday, September 3, 2019 11:14 AM

Steve3D,

How was the long weekend?  I did find a recipe group, but it didn't seem to be specifically for anti-inflammatory food recipes. Have you seen any?

Steve3D
Posted: Tuesday, September 3, 2019 6:40 PM

Long weekends when you're retired are basically just another day, but with working friends dropping by.  I'm not complaining.  I'm happy to be retired. I do miss the paychecks, though.

I've been following the recipe posts.  Since my wife is a vegetarian, I've tried to think about substitutes for meat in the recipes.  Not always easy.  But, some of the basic ideas are very good.  

No, they really don't address anti-inflammatory foods.  Some might even cause a dietitian to go into cardiac arrest.   But, what they do address is getting through the day in an impossible situation.  Between three hours of laundry every day, getting my wife into the shower,  dishes, cleaning cat barf, and all the other things called Life that go on, just getting food on the table can be a challenge.  I know I'm not alone there.

I do try to work some good stuff into our diet.  That includes supplements, which are a poor substitute for the real thing.  But, most days, it seems like it comes down to just getting calories into your loved one.  My wife, for example, has been losing just under a pound a month.  At 114.5 pounds and slowly dropping, it's a problem.  I have to try to get a casserole, potato salad, and a nutrient-packed smoothie into her, followed by chocolate brownies and ice cream.  And it's not working.

As I write this, I'm giving Merry a piece of chocolate Texas Sheet Cake made by a friend.  Heavy calorie, low nutritional value.  I used to feel guilty about doing this sort of thing.  Her NMD will give me a raised eyebrow, but she (the doc) also knows the Reality of Life.

Sounds like I'm whining again.

HowDoYouDeal
Posted: Tuesday, September 3, 2019 9:26 PM

My mum used to make zucchini chocolate cake, somehow, don't ask me how, you cannot taste the zucchini whatsoever.

Apparently you can also substitute apple sauce for some of the oil instead. Sooo healthy

Chocolate Zucchini Cake Recipe

• Prep time: 20 minutes
  • Cook time: 50 minutes
  • Yield: Makes 10-12 servings

Ingredients

• 2 1/2 cups regular all-purpose flour, unsifted
  • 1/2 cup natural, unsweetened cocoa
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 3/4 cup soft butter
  • 1 cup white granulated sugar
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 3 eggs, room temperature
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
  • 3 cups coarsely shredded zucchini (from about 1 pound of zucchini, or 3 medium zucchini)
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
  • Glaze (directions follow)

Glaze:

• 2 cups powdered sugar
  • 3 Tbsp milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

I was just looking up food with turmeric and found chicken tikka masala, read a recipe and now I am hungry, darn it.

HowDoYouDeal
Posted: Tuesday, September 3, 2019 10:21 PM

Ah, we do what we can. You're doing a heck of a job. I started a Anti-inflammatory recipe thing. There isn't a recipe section and I get gently corrected if I post outside of the Clinical Trials page anyway.

Thank you for your message of support re: the new lady, I appreciate it, but you've got it backwards. People need compassion, they don't need a research project. When I come home from a tough day, I don't want to hear how to avoid the same problem tomorrow, I just want someone to listen to me and tell me we'll get through it.

Unfortunately people like me have all this information and we want to help so much, it feels like a betrayal of decency not to tell people, ah Sisyphus, sorry, excuse me a moment, let me just hollow out that rock a little bit before you push it up the hill again.... Okay... good, and fyi someone might be by in a few months to exchange it for a smaller rock - don't mean to wreck you rhythm, just a heads up.

Now I have to go eat something, because we had pretty well had bread, cheese, veggies and goldfish crackers for dinner. My kid loved it.

While I don't miss cleaning up cat puke, I did still cover the clean laundry with a towel so the cat wouldn't sit on... oh yeah...... right.  Hug your cat for me.

HowDoYouDeal
Posted: Thursday, September 5, 2019 12:22 PM

Since the new Light therapy device, that shown improvements in 11 people, and I don't think it flickers. 

What if the whole reason for the problem is our modern day deprivation of Sunlight, in all its glory,  including red light and Near Infra Red light.

1. We don't nap in the day anymore. (Those who do, do it under insufficient/ LED light)

b. When we napped in the mid-day, sunlight or NIR was reaching our faces, and down into the nose and brain, more easily. The skull is thich

2.  We've replaced our incandescent lights and fires with LEDs.

3. We spend way more time indoors than we ever did

4.  We've added many layers of material between us and the sky

-to scatter and block light and Eletromagnetic Radiation

4.  Insisting that we stay awake all day, rather than wake early, siesta then work and socialize again means we miss the exposure to the NeuroProtective Effects of Sunrise and Sunset.

I wonder:

How AD and brain disease rates compare in countries that have a 9-5 workday vs. a early rise, siesta, cook and socialize in late afternoon and evening cultures.

If part of the awesome-ness attributed to the mediterranean diet actually comes from the abundance of exposure to full sunlight.

Two things which I have heard but may not be true.

People in the Northern Part of the Northern Hemisphere have small flat noses, because the longer nosed people got frost-bite and died off.

In the 1950's when industry started whitening bread by removing /bleaching it and then adding the vitamins back in, they missed Vitamin K, because it hadn't been discovered yet.

So for however long people were eating bread that was missing an essential nutrient, and one that was a combination of white flour and supplements.

Often is the inter-connectedness and interactions between parts of the whole that make it work efficiently. Compare a old fashioned farm with single plant farms.

The very young and the old may have the circadian rhythmn's right, and its us 9 to 5 working adults that have an abnormal schedule. Maybe early morning wandering by your parents used to mean they woke up with the kids, bright and early at 5 AM!!

in countries where only madmen and Englishmen go out in the noon-day sun, traditionally the normal schedule meant :

Waking with the Dawn, then cooking and eating or hunting and scavengning

Lying down when it got too hot to work. 

Outside with 10, 000 Lux of light and who knows how much Near InfraRed and InfraRed light Shining on your face, and through the relatively less dense tissue in the nose. Light shining on the brain, from say 11- 3:30.

Light cannot penetrate the skull very well.

HowDoYouDeal
Posted: Thursday, September 5, 2019 9:56 PM

Vielight -Independent Research of PhotoBioModulation - 8:08

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_Yottkvxkg

Dr BurkeSecember 2010 Patient Results before and after red light + near infrared therapy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q-CC3kdSc0

HowDoYouDeal
Posted: Sunday, September 8, 2019 12:56 AM

Any news, any changes? How is it going? Did last weeks 3 in a row then reversion follow a non-treatment day?

I read something about new nose cells being created every week.  I've burnt my tongue enough times to know that tongue cells are replaced fairly quickly. I am just guessing that brain cells are more complicated, so its only fair to them a little more time.

On the topic of tongue cells, a new $30,000K medical device can help the independently wealthy restore their balance or gait.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nicolefisher/2015/11/02/is-your-tongue-the-key-to-a-neuroscience-breakthrough/#76aa8da1551e

You wear a tongue tickling device that, they say, feels like champagne bubbles on your tongue. You wear it while doing specific physio exercises and it re-teaches the brain.

Montel Williams tested it out. I did not know that he was diagnosed with MS, but it explains why he disappeared from tv.

PONS

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/montreal-clinic-s-tongue-tickler-approved-by-health-canada-to-treat-brain-injuries-1.4208136

48,919 viewsNov 2, 2015, 07:00am

Is Your Tongue The Key To A Neuroscience Breakthrough?

Tweet This

We know that the brain is neuroplastic -- adapts to changes in behavior, environment, thinking and emotions -- and may even rewire itself in certain ways. Life experience also teaches us that the tongue is a learning tool that shapes our brain. During early development, babies test everything by placing it in their mouths. As children age they stick out their tongues when concentrating on tasks such as drawing. Even as adults we let our tongue tell us about the world around us through eating, drinking and kissing. During basketball games, some players stick out their tongues while shooting. 

HowDoYouDeal
Posted: Sunday, September 8, 2019 2:12 AM

I see no one has written back, its okay, it's a pretty out-there post. But what I 'd like to suggest is far more mundane.

Don't throw out all your incandescent compatible lamps! Keep buying and using lightbulbs that also create heat and the oranges and reds in the light spectrum. Even if it has to be a low wattage bulb.

Go outside every day in the early morning, asap after sunrise. Take an evening walk as the sun sets.

Enjoy camp fires whenever you can. While its warm, take a big blanket have a picnic outside and lie on your backs looking at clouds.  Have a nap is a hammock if you can do that safely.

Consider that an afternoon nap might be in line with the early human sleep&wake patterns. If you live somewhere that still has Siesta's, enjoy them with your L.O and see if its helps you both align your schedules.

Get blue light blocking glasses for your and you l.o. for evening T.V., tablets and screens.

Steve3D
Posted: Sunday, September 8, 2019 11:13 AM

It's been a busy week or so.  Keeping up has kept me from keeping up, so to speak.

The Vielight sessions continue with my wife, Merry.  It's now been 51 sessions, total.  

Merry sometimes seems more alert than before.  There has been no more wandering during the night.  The urinary incontinence at night continues, with only occasional "dry" nights.  And, those "dry" nights mean her Depend is wet, but not the bed sheets (a day without laundry!).  

Getting Merry into the shower seems a little easier.  Instead of a minimum of a half hour to get her to undress, it's down to 15 minutes.  Then, another 10 minutes to get her into the water.  She's very sensitive about her privacy, so I'm not quite sure if she's doing a good job in the shower.

Merry seems a bit more interested in picking out her clothes after a shower.  I'd been laying things out before, and she'd eventually put those clothes on.  Now, she'll sometimes ignore the clothes I lay out, and go to her closet to find something.

Her appetite is still bad.  But, she was always a picky eater.  I'm still trying to just add calories with sweets every day, along with supplements and balanced food.  I'm trying to stop the slow weight slippage.

Merry wants to give me hugs often, and seems to be more childlike sometimes.  Her short term memory is still nonexistent.  She still reads the same section out of a magazine out loud several times.

Directions by me to her for tasks still can't be more than one instruction at a time.  Choices between things like breakfast cereals are very tough.  It's usually the last choice offered.

These are all small things, some positive, some maybe not, that seem to be changes since starting the Vielight sessions.  Heavy emphasis on the seem.  I believe I'm probably too close to see changes, either positive or negative.  It's that see the trees for the forest thing.

I wish I had specific results to offer.  I'm not scientific enough for that.

So, to paraphrase Sonny and Cher, the 40 hertz beat goes on.

HowDoYouDeal
Posted: Monday, September 9, 2019 11:26 PM

Yay, finally something that targets tau specifically.

Illustration of human brain with cog wheel mechanisms

Researchers Discover Brain Molecule, VPS35, Can Clear Alzheimer’s Tau Tangles

By | July 9th, 2019

For the first time, researchers have determined that a molecule called VPS35 can clear tau proteins, a hallmark of Alzheimer’s disease, in the brain. That’s according to a new study published in the journal Molecular Psychiatry.

Think of the molecule VPS35 as a quality control worker in the brain – it picks through and removes defective proteins from neurons. This VPS35 system protects the brain by getting rid of the gunk that would otherwise clog up the brain’s inner workings.

HowDoYouDeal
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2019 11:30 AM

The application of NIRS imaging relies on two primary factors: the first factor is the relative transparency of human tissue to near infra‐red (NIR) light, which penetrates the skin, subcutaneous fat, skull and brain [9]. The second factor is the high attenuation of NIR light due to haemoglobin oxygenation levels [3]. More specifically, the term ‘optical window’ is used to define the range between 650 and 1350 nm where light absorption coefficients of water, melanin in addition to oxy and deoxy haemoglobin, are lowest. This allows a certain amount of light to penetrate biological tissue, where it is scattered and eventually diffused allowing for a limited amount of tissue penetration to occur. NIR imaging relies on light absorption coefficient values of key biological components, such as water, oxy and deoxy haemoglobin to measure changes in their concentration over time. For example, as shown in Figure 1 , the absorption coefficients of oxy and deoxy haemoglobin intersect at around 805 nm allowing for the use of two distinct NIR wavelengths within the optical window to measure the changes in each of these elements [1012].

HowDoYouDeal
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2019 11:34 AM

Look, they're already started building them

https://brainbox-neuro.com/catalogue/neuro-imaging/fnirs/brainsight-nirs/

Brainsight NIRS, NIRS system

HowDoYouDeal
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2019 11:38 AM

Product warning: this is pretty out-there, but it shows that scientists and inventors are not sitting on their hands.

fNIRS: A Technique for Neuroimaging During TMS - Promising fNIRS-TMS Applications

Compared to many modalities, fNIRS is still relatively new.  More studies are needed in the field of concurrent fNIRS and TMS, but all indications suggest that this combination would be beneficial for a variety of applications:

Top: NIRx’s Low-Profile Probes: Easy to Set Up and Stable. Steady probe placement is vital for high-quality fNIRS data.

• In vivo studies of the effects of single pulse TMS and rTMS. rTMS is used for treatment of many psychiatric disorders. fNIRS seems to be the only possibility for in vivo assessment of cortical activation patterns during rTMS treatment sessions. Furthermore, fNIRS is being evaluated as a potential biomarker for the assessment of the outcome of rTMS treatments or as a predictor of their outcome.

• TMS guided fNIRS imaging. The limited spatial specificity of fNIRS could be overcome with the aid of targeted TMS mapping, making the fNIRS signal more specific to the functional cortex. The optimal location of the probes can be identified by means of single pulse TMS.

• fNIRS guided TMS stimulation. Cortical activation patterns identified by means of hemodynamic changes can be explored as TMS stimulation sites.

https://nirx.net/

NIRScap - NIRS + EEG integrated multi-modal neuroimaging - NIRx