RSS Feed Print
Not this too!
Nikki J
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2012 5:14 PM

My sister has been diagnosed with ALS today. My heart is breaking... why is this happening to us?
Waiting for a cure
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2012 8:16 PM

Nicole,

I'm so sorry for the pain you, your sister, your family is experiencing.  You mentioned in a post in the caregivers forum, I think, that there is already ALS in your family.  And that means there has been this kind of suffering in your family before.  Words cannot express the sadness.  

The big "why" questions are unanswered in this life.  I don't have words of my own to offer comfort, but rely heavily each day on our Lord's promises to comfort those who mourn.  

Nikki J
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2012 8:56 AM

thank you. it is so hard and until this week unexpected. there was only one other person in the family with it so it was reasonable to assume that was a sporadic case as most ALS is. Once my sister manifested symptoms of course it shot to the forefront of possibilities. This will also have  implications for the future for her children for me and I think our cousins on the affected side and their children. She will have genetic testing (not all the familial genetic markers are identified yet) if they identify one then the related adults will be offered testing.

The timing here is incredible just after my mother died and we were all looking at resuming a normal life....

Thank you for your support

love

Nicole