RSS Feed Print
from sedentary to pacing
Marie58
Posted: Wednesday, December 11, 2019 2:21 PM

DH was diagnosed 3 1/2 yrs ago. He's mid-late stage 6. Prior to dx he was always very physically active, worked out most days, and rarely sat down until well after dinner. At least 2 yrs ago that all changed dramatically and he became quite sedentary/watching a lot of TV. He gained about 30#. 

About a year ago he started going to a MC day program 3 afternoons/week. While he wasn't able to do most of the activities, he would at least sit with the group and observe, smile, etc. About 3 weeks ago, he started pacing while he's there. Gets up from the activities and just starts walking. He's been sweaty a few times when I've picked him up. For the most part he's the same as always at home, but he does get up occasionally and start walking around like he's looking for something. I can usually redirect him. He's also restless during church services. We actually left early two Sundays ago. Another new thing is shopping. He's suddenly pushing the cart faster; I have to be careful that he doesn't run into me if he's behind me. And he might just keep walking if I stop. Must have been a funny sight a few times as I'm chasing him with my arms full of stuff!

He doesn't seem agitated when he's at the day program or shopping. A little anxious perhaps.

Has anyone else seen a change like this with you LO?

Thanks and blessings to everyone!

Joe C.
Posted: Wednesday, December 11, 2019 5:36 PM

Marie58, My DW is also in mid/late stage 6 and although I would not classify it as pacing, she is getting up and walking around the house a lot more than she used to. For the last few years she was content to sit in front sit in front of the TV for hours. Now she gets up and walks around the house like she’s looking for something, although if I ask what she is looking for she usually can not tell me.
ugomimi
Posted: Wednesday, December 11, 2019 8:29 PM

MY DH has trouble sitting still. He is ok at day program as he is in a group and they play games, prepare meals have music etc but at home he is up also looking for something, rearranges his bureau drawers and because we live in Maine he hash shoveled the same path repeatedly the last 5 days. He is happy if he is active and sleeps well , but would not stop to eat if I didnt tell him to come rest.
Beachfan
Posted: Thursday, December 12, 2019 2:51 PM

Marie58,

I think we have compared notes in the past and determined our respective DH’s might be “brothers from another mother”, as they are similar in so many ways.  DH, also firmly in stage 6,  alternates his sedentary time and pacing time throughout the day.  After breakfast, he will sit quietly with TV or music on for several hours at a time.  I can do things around the house or step out and he will still be seated on the sofa all the while.  Around midday, we might go out to visit my mom at the NH, or to run some random errands, often grabbing lunch in the process.  Around 3 PM, he starts pacing or he might sit, if invited, with music on.  When the weather is nice, he will sit or pace outside, picking up leaves and twigs one by one by one.  He tires more easily now so we can’t go for walks as often or as far.  

I discovered, quite by accident recently, that when shopping, he holds on to the cart so I can barely get it moving.  ( I thought I had the cart with a square wheel until I figured out he was impeding my forward progress!). He also crashes into me, produce displays or other shoppers if I’m not vigilant.  

In the evening, I sit with him but every time I get up (to check on dinner, turn on a light, or get something), he jumps up like a shot and is right at my heels.  Sometimes that annoys me and I take him back to the sofa and say, “JUST SIT HERE! STAY HERE!”  It might work for 5 minutes.  

He is not incontinent, aggressive, or a wanderer so I count my blessings and try to remain calm and pleasant.  Who knows what tomorrow will bring?