RSS Feed Print
Traveling to Mexico
sknippel
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2019 5:05 PM

My DH and I will be spending the month of February in Texas. I need to get him a passport because he thinks he wants to go to Mexico with me and have a margarita. Do you think he should go with me to Mexico? Is it safe for him to have alcoholic beverages?
TayB4
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2019 5:13 PM

Hello,

Welcome! I see this is your first post. If you give us more information we may be able to help you. What is your husband’s diagnosis? Medicines? What does his doctor say about alcohol? We also are not doctors (well, most of us are not), and therefore cannot give you medical advice, just our knowledge of living with someone with a dementia and our opinions. 

sknippel
Posted: Wednesday, December 11, 2019 7:34 AM

My DH has recently been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s. But it probably started a couple of years ago and I was just in denial. He is currently taking 5 mg of donepezil. My concern is not only whether it is safe to drink alcohol, but whether he can handle traveling to Mexico. Should I go ahead and get him a passport?
Ed1937
Posted: Wednesday, December 11, 2019 7:43 AM

Sknippel, welcome to the forum. Sorry you are now part of this. Nobody can tell you if he will be able to handle the trip. You will have to make that decision based on how he has been in unfamiliar places locally. If he does well locally in places he is not familiar with, he likely will do OK with the trip. Sometimes PWD start out for a trip, then soon want to go home. If you feel he will do OK, go for it. You need to take advantage of any good times you might have now. Maybe you could stay a night in a local motel to see how he handles it. Good luck.
Rescue mom
Posted: Wednesday, December 11, 2019 8:15 AM

You have to judge how well he does in unfamiliar surroundings—Mexico or Texas, little,difference in this case. Many here travel with LOs with early Alzheimer’s, they say it’s hard word and demands constant attention and vigilance. Some take a friend or family member to help.

They all react differently, to some degree. My DH totally freaked out in new, unfamiliar hotel rooms and places. He became unable to do many simple tasks he did at home with no problem. 

I thought because he could do some things at home, he’d be able to do them away from home. That was wrong, and I’m told it’s not an uncommon reaction when in a different place. I wish I had known that before we went, I was caught totally off guard by his major, sudden decline just from being in different rooms 3 hours away.

But again, many do OK, you just have to watch them carefully.

As Ed said, if you have not travelled lately, maybe take him somewhere overnight, somewhere nearby butmdifferent, and see how he does.

He may be just fine. You are the one who sees how he does and decide what he can handle.

As for drinking alcohol, I’d say that depends on what meds he takes, and how he handles alcohol anywhere else.

Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Wednesday, December 11, 2019 8:53 AM

I take about 25 different pills a day and I drink alcohol all the time with no issues. 

Having dementai does not mean to not enjoy life. 

Wish2Roam
Posted: Wednesday, December 11, 2019 10:38 AM

sknippel.  only you can judge how well your husband might do traveling to Mexico.  My husband is a great traveler because he sticks to me like glue, no worries about him getting lost or wandering away from me.  How about your husband?  does he have any wandering or behavioral problems?  As far as a margarita, you can get a mean margarita in TX without ever crossing the border to MX.  Does your husband drink now?  My DH loves a good margarita or a glass of wine and has never had an issue; but, again, that's an individual thing I would expect depending on his tolerance to alcohol.  Good luck whatever you decide and hope you enjoy TX.
lvcatlvr
Posted: Wednesday, December 11, 2019 11:36 AM

My DH and I took a cruise to Mexico when he was probably in stage 4 or 5. He did fine. He would also have an occasional beer which didn't seem to affect him or interfere with his drugs but it's best to check with his doctor. Also, only you know how he will handle being in a foreign country with everyone speaking Spanish.
zauberflote
Posted: Wednesday, December 11, 2019 1:37 PM

Sknippel, how is his short term memory, and how much is he perseverating on the actual _being in Mexico_ for that margarita? If he's forgetting things quickly enough, you might be able to get away with a small and good Mexican restaurant a short distance away, have your authentic (whatever that might be) margarita experience, and go back to where you're living. What I'm really wondering is, do you think the important part is "you+margarita"? And it might not make a difference to him if you fibbed your way "across the border" by simply having arrived there? "Oh look! We must be in Mexico! Let's find a restaurant!"
Joe C.
Posted: Wednesday, December 11, 2019 6:05 PM

sknippel, I have traveled with my DW a good amount over the last few years, Europe twice, Canada, driven from MA to FL and back twice, flown a few other times in the US. Now of these trips was necessarily easy on me, but I’m glad we did it. I just booked a Caribbean vacation for next March, bringing my stepdaughter and her granddaughters on this trip to so they can spend some quality time together and help me out. With each trip I have anxiety about will this be the one where we run into a “problem”. My feeling is I want to do as much living together as we can while we can. I know the day is coming when we will not be able to do these thing, but I’m going to keep trying things as long as I can.

DW does not drink alcohol so I have no opinion on that one.

SSHarkey
Posted: Wednesday, December 11, 2019 9:32 PM

I’m not sure where you currently live. As a native Texas I can tell you this: You can get an excellent margarita in many places here in the state, especially San Antonio (La Fogata). As a native Texas I will also tell you we have stopped going into Mexico. It has gotten just too dangerous, especially on the border. Many people here will tell you this. I wouldn’t go, period.
Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Thursday, December 12, 2019 7:48 AM

I had some of the best in Fort Lauderdale Florida

File Attachment(s):
IMG_2235.jpg (188664 bytes)

Jo C.
Posted: Thursday, December 12, 2019 9:41 AM

Hello sknippel, and a very warm welcome to you.   I can understand your wanting to share such an experience with your husband and satisfy his wishes, but please do read once again the Posts from the various Members; this really is not business as usual. Getting MD input re the alcohol taking into consideration any meds for health issues and actual condition would be best.  Just because one person with dementia has had no issues does not mean that your husband will not.

With dementia, judgment and reasoning are often impacted by the damage within the brain, so you are his safety net for screening matters which you are doing.

Going across the border, depending on where you are could bring about some safety concerns; that could do with a bit of research to see what is current.   You should also be prepared as  to what to do should your husband become ill or injured in Mexico and have to receive urgent or emergency care at the acute hospital level.  Just the things to think about and do a bit of research on.

You may have success, but since you are asking, it seems you may also have concerns; it is good you are thinking about this and any possible unintended consequences.  

I wish you and your husband well; do let us know what you decide and how it's going.

J.