RSS Feed Print
A beautiful moment
LindyHopper
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2015 1:49 AM

I just wanted to share a beautiful moment I had with my grandfather.

My grandpa is 96 years old and has Alzheimers. He has a difficult time holding up conversations and get's confused easily. He also has a very poor memory. I came out as a lesbian last November. Before coming out, I decided to come out to my grandpa. I figured there was no harm in talking to him about it because he would certainly forget the whole thing 10 minutes later. So the conversation went as follows:

Me: Grandpa, what do you think about people who are gay?
Grandpa: It's just a different form of sex, that's all.
Me: So you don't think it's a bad thing?
Grandpa: No.
Me: Well then.....what would you think if I said that I was gay?
Grandpa: I would accept you....because love is a powerful thing and you have to live your life.

It was such an incredible thing to hear him say that. Just the fact that he was able to put together such a thoughtful sentence was amazing. It gave me the courage to come out to the rest of my family two weeks later. I figured, if my 96 year old, conservative, lutheran grandfather can accept me, anybody could!!

Mimi S.
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2015 8:46 AM

Lindy,
Thank you so much for sharing this.
Would that more folks thought like your grandpa.

Jo C.
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2015 11:31 PM

How deeply touching this must have been for you. Unconditional love, one of the greatest gifts we can receive.

You must love him dearly too.

J.

King Boo
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2015 6:35 PM

Way cool!
On a similar note, my 89 year old aunt was a witness for her 2 male friends when they married. . . . . .

writervicki
Posted: Wednesday, July 29, 2015 5:17 PM

Thanks for sharing that, it's wonderful. My Mom was gay, came out when I was 5 and then proceeded to raise me and my 2 brothers all by herself. Became a minister too because she wanted to let other gays know God loves them. I love stories like yours!

Lionrhod
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2015 2:37 PM

I work as a psychic, and last week a couple of young women came to my table. One of them was ready to come out to her parents, but was terrified to do so. The reading suggested that her parents loved her deeply and all would go well even if there were a few initial hiccups or scary moments.

I hope her conversation with them went as beautifully as this one.