RSS Feed Print
New here
gulfportgal
Posted: Thursday, June 2, 2016 12:06 PM

Hi, I'm 60 and am caring for my 89 yo Mom.  Thought I would find real time online support group, but am glad to find this.  I may just check the boards to see if some of the questions I have are already discussed, Peace.
Lane Simonian
Posted: Friday, June 3, 2016 11:45 PM

Please do so and ask whatever questions you would like--it does not matter if someone has asked a similar question in the past.
alz+
Posted: Saturday, June 4, 2016 8:50 AM

welcome.

From your first post I can tell you are going to be all right and your Mom is going to be all right.

Most of caring for someone with ALZ is reading body language and being kind.

Any serious illness is a shake up, you will find that making it simple, remembering to smile, and finding things for her to do alone or with you will bring you closer than ever.

Personally I do not believe much of the storyline about ALZ. I took care of my dad when he had it, and now I have it.

what you find challenging or upsetting, when shared here, is how we all learn.

Your story is important, share what you want and I wish you the best on this journey.

much love, courage and happiness

newellar
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2016 2:23 AM

Hello and welcome.
eaglemom
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2016 6:52 PM

Let me welcome you to the message boards gulfportgal. I'm glad you've found us. Please take some time to look around the entire website. You will find all sorts of valuable information.

Ask anything and usually someone can help you with the question. We are here to support each other. It's a long journey and we all need guidance and encouragement.

Welcome.

eagle

Momma's Boy
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2016 3:06 PM

Hello.

I am new to the alz connected.

My husband and I are caregivers for my 80 YO mother.

She has been with us just over 2 years now, after we brought her from her livelong home in East Tennessee after my father passed to Southern California.

Her disease is progressing fairly rapidly, some days seems moment to moment.

I am the one working full time, and my salary and the contribution my Mother makes from her monthly SS check are what we rely on for finances.

I am also the only one who drives.

This entails many hours/days being absent from work to shuttle to doctors, therapy and all other necessary appointments.

On top of all this, I had Aortic Valve replacement surgery the end of May. Off-work 2 months.

My stress level is rising rapidly.

My husband is with her during the day. When I get home, I have to balance what little time I have in the evenings (about 4 hours) and the weekend to spend time with both.

I will leave all this here for the time being. 

I feel hopeful that having this space to come to for support will be a great help.

Mimi S.
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2016 7:11 PM

Welcome to our world. I'm so glad you found us.

You do need some relief.

perhaps try talking about your situation with someone from our help line: 1-800-272-3900.