RSS Feed Print
Support for my niece - LGBT teenager with Younger Onset AD mom
CA2GAlove
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2016 10:05 AM

My sister-in-law has been diagnosed with Younger Onset AD for a year.  Her only daughter, my niece, came out about the same time.  In addition to coping with the diagnosis, my brother's company transferred the family to Kennesaw, GA.  My niece could benefit from meeting / corresponding with other teens (or recently former teens) who can reach out to her with how to best support her mom and to cope with the situation it presents to her as well.  Is there a way this board can help me identify resources?
Jo C.
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2016 11:08 AM

Hello and a very warm welcome to you.   What a wonderfully loving and compassionate Aunt you are.

This surely is a difficult time for your dear niece and finding assistance to help her work through these dynamics will be very helpful.

I would like to invite you to contact the Helpline at the Alzheimer's Assn. at (800) 272-3900.  If you call, please ask to be transferred to a Care Consultant.  Consultants are highly educated Social Workers who specialize in dementia and family dynamics.  They are very supportive and can provide a variety of assistance in many areas and who also can assist with contact numbers for helpful community entities.  There is no fee for this assistance.

This is a journey that is best shared with caring family and friends; your niece is blessed to have you by her side; I send warm wishes to you, your sister and your niece.

J.

fireflynoctopi
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2016 11:41 PM

All the best to you, your niece and sister .. I wish I'd had an aunt like you I could've talked to when I discovered my preferences at 18. Your niece is truly blessed