RSS Feed Print
Antibiotics
MissHer
Posted: Tuesday, February 5, 2019 12:01 AM

An article about antibiotics and ALZ. . My mom had a heart murmur and was required to take  them for 2 or 3 days before getting dental work done. She had several root canals and crowns plus her bottom teeth were capped. 

https://www.naturalhealth365.com/antibiotics-brain-cells-1882.html

Lane Simonian
Posted: Tuesday, February 5, 2019 6:30 PM

Thanks for posting this, MissHer.  Part of the problem is with broad spectrum antibiotics that kill bacteria that produce glutathione--an important antioxidant for the gut and for the brain.  

There are a few select antibiotics that may be beneficial for Alzheimer's disease (although most of the studies so far only suggest a minor benefit).  These include antibiotics that scavenge peroxynitrite and reduces the nitration of an enzyme that is needed for neuron regeneration in the brain.

Peroxynitrite, formed by reaction of superoxide and nitric oxide, appears to be an important tissue damaging species generated at sites of inflammation. In this paper, we compare the abilities of several antibiotics to protect against peroxynitrite-dependent inactivation of alpha1-antiproteinase, and to inhibit tyrosine nitration by peroxynitrite, in vitro. Tetracycline, minocycline, doxycycline, rifamycin and rifampicin were highly protective in both assay systems, whereas several other antibiotics tested were not. The possibility that antibiotics could affect tissue injury at sites of inflammation by scavenging peroxynitrite is discussed.

In the newly reported study [2003] 101 patients with mild to moderate Alzheimer's disease at five medical centers throughout Canada were treated with either a three-month course of the antibiotics doxycycline and rifampin or inactive placebo pills. Neither the study investigators, the treating physicians, nor the patients knew who got which treatment.

Standardized tests measuring brain function were administered at the start of the study and three months after the patients were taken off the treatments. At the follow-up evaluation, mental scores among the patients in the placebo group had declined by an average of 2.75 points more (on a 70-point scale) than the patients who took the antibiotics. Though the differences in the scores were not considered to be much different from those taking placebo, it still indicated that the patients who took the antibiotics had slower mental decline.

"The slowing in mental decline that we saw was in the same ballpark as that seen with the cholinestrase inhibitors," Loeb tells WebMD. "Because of this, I think it might be prudent to consider an antibiotic regimen for patients who are doing badly on [cholinesterase inhibitors]."

It is not clear which antibiotics were used in the following case studies, but I would be willing to guess they are the antibiotics listed above.

Question from Joy K.Posted 20 July 2004

Has anyone tested the use of antibiotics for Alzheimer's patients? My mother was diagnosed with the disease more than seven years ago. Although she quit after the diagnosis, she was a heavy smoker most of her life, which resulted in congestion problems. Over the last seven years she was given antibiotics several times. Each time her condition improved dramatically. When she stopped the medication she reverted back to the way she was before. She is now in the last stages of her disease and refuses to eat or drink. She was sent to the emergency room and not expected to survive the night. They gave her and antibiotic drip and by the next day she was fighting to go home. She recognized us, was able to put three words together, and understood and responded to everything we said to her. She even played a little joke on my sister, pretending to be dead and then jump up laughing because she scared her.

She has not been this responsive in close to a year! I attribute it to the antibiotic drip. In the past when she took antibiotics orally she significantly improved but the drip seemed to really make a huge difference. I hope something can be done to research this. I am trying to tell everyone I can. Please let me know if this has been researched.

Reply from Brian Balin, Ph.D., Philadelphia College of Osteopathic MedicinePosted 20 July 2004

Remarkably, this is something that has been recognized by clinicians for many, many years. I have innumerable accounts from individuals who have reported on exactly the same response. There have been reports back to me of individuals who have not spoken for years that have "recovered" this ability following antibiotic therapy. Is the response specific to treating an infection systemically or in the brain, or does it have to do with an anti-inflammatory action of the antibiotics? We just don't have the answers to these questions at this time. In my estimation, there has to be a mandate in this for performing clinical trials based on the antibiotic approach. Hopefully, we can convince the NIH or big pharma that these trials would be worthwhile.

It is important to find out which antibiotics worsen cognition and which ones improve cognition.

HowDoYouDeal
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2019 2:19 PM

A Long-Standing Antibiotic Offers A New Path Against Alzheimer's

https://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/a-long-standing-antibiotic-offers-a-new-path-against-alzheimers/

cefixime itself does not function as necessary. However, over several days at room temperature cefixime degrades into a polymer that does indeed disrupt amyloid beta/PrPC interactions.

... Because Cefixime particles cannot penetrate the blood brain barrier. However, there is a theory that people with Alzheimer's have a compromised blood-brain barrier, which is why/how bacteria from other disease show up in the AD brain.

ADVERTISMENT

In the tradition of scientific breakthroughs often coming from very unexpected places, an antibiotic in use since 1989 has shown potential for breaking the cycle that leads to Alzheimer's disease. Given the failure rate of initially promising drugs against Alzheimer's, there is a long way to go on this one. Nevertheless, the fact the drug in question involves a fundamentally different approach to stopping the neurological disease than most of those tried so far could mean it's just what we need.

The symptoms of Alzheimer’s are hard to tell apart from less common forms of dementia. Its distinguishing feature is the presence of amyloid beta plaques on the brain that spread as the disease progresses. Most experimental drugs break up the plaques. However, there has always been a minority of neuroscientists who see the plaques as a symptom, not the fundamental cause of Alzheimer's. The failure of plaque-dispersing drugs has given strength to their calls for alternative approaches, usually in trying to disrupt the chain of events that triggers the plaque build up.

Professor Stephen Strittmatter of Yale University is pursuing one alternative by looking at the signaling mechanism that triggers plaque formation. He hopes disrupting the interaction between the protein PrPC and amyloid beta would prevent the onset of Alzheimer's.

Strittmatter and his colleagues tested 2,560 existing drugs and 10,000 other molecules for their potential, and the clear stand-out was cefixime, which is an antibiotic still used for gonorrhea and pneumonia (despite sounding like a character from the Asterix cartoons).

Further testing indicated cefixime itself does not function as necessary. However, over several days at room temperature cefixime degrades into a polymer that does indeed disrupt amyloid beta/PrPC interactions.

The Yale team created more effective versions of the polymer, particularly with the capacity to cross the blood-brain barrier. They announced in Cell Reports these not only prevent mice from developing dementia, but actually give them space to repair their brains so their ability to navigate through a maze by memory improves.

PrPC is a prion, the bizarre category of proteins that cause Creutzfeldt-Jakob and Mad Cow Disease, so Strittmatter tested his polymer in cells infected with Creutzfeldt-Jakob prions. It appeared similarly effective, although the ultimate success rate of drugs tested only in cell cultures is much lower than for those that have also worked on animals.

It is always a long, slow process for drugs to make their way from animal testing to clinical use, and as the history of Alzheimer's therapies shows, one often littered with failures. However, the process is considerably shorter where drugs have already been put to other purposes and shown to be safe. Unlike cefixime, Strittmatter's optimized polymer hasn't had this testing, but the established record of several closely related drugs raises hopes it will prove safe.

HowDoYouDeal
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2019 2:28 PM

At the follow-up evaluation, mental scores among the patients in the placebo group had declined by an average of 2.75 points more (on a 70-point scale) than the patients who took the antibiotics. 

I love how science (aka) people who aren't dying from a disease characterise a small improvement as insignificant, what dementia suffering person wouldn't choose to try to save those 2.75 points?

Sorry, I have 3 relatives dying right now, so I am a little short with slow moving science.

Joness
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2019 1:50 PM

Try CBD oils, it's really good.
Larrytherunner
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2019 3:36 AM

HowDoYouDeal. If you want to try a drug that is available now and is currently in FDA clinical trials for Alzheimer's, I would suggest Montelukast (brand name Singulair). It has been available for about twenty years as a long term treatment for asthma, and is inexpensive and safe for long term use. I have been taking it for three years and my early stage dementia symptoms have completely disappeared. Read my posts in the clinical trial section or google the words - montelukast Alzheimer's - for more information.
HowDoYouDeal
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2020 12:05 PM

Instead of an antibiotic drip, how about an anti-microbial injection twice weekly. Made from the greek plant Mastic. Unless you are allergic to pistaschios' as mastic trees are in the same family.

https://www.centerwatch.com/clinical-trials/listings/199464/mild-to-moderate-dementia-due-to-alzheimers-disease-clinical-study-evaluating-efficacy/?&geo_lat=44.309058&geo_lng=-78.319747&radius=10&place=Peterborough