RSS Feed Print
Wetting on Sellf At Night/ Mematine
Gale00
Posted: Monday, August 19, 2019 5:55 PM

My mom has been taking Mematine(Namenda) 5mg during day for month she already takes Donepezil (Aricept) 5 mg a night.   The last weeks she began wetting the bed or just on clothes at night. She does drink a lot of liquids but I can't get her to stop.

I was wondering does Memantine cause someone to be thirsty ?   Has anyone have a family that began having incontinence after taking Memantine or Namenda ?

pa123
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2019 11:39 AM

Memantine caused my father to become more aggressive toward my mom and I.  Plus, it didn't seem like it was helping him.
Doityourselfer
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2019 11:47 AM

My husband was on Namenda for 2 years.  It had no effect on him.
SunnyBeBe
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2019 12:18 PM

I don't have any experience with those meds.  You might discuss it with her doctor.  It's my understanding that those meds may delay some of the symptoms of AD.  But, I would think that some things are going to happen eventually, like incontinence.  My LO got that early in her progression with VD.
Rescue mom
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2019 1:22 PM

Incontinence is extremely common in Alzheimer’s and dementia patients, regardless of whether they take those drugs or not.
Gale00
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2019 9:45 PM

Thanks to everyone on you input on "Wetting On Self at Night/Memantine on Aug. 19th .2019. Last night she did stop drinking water early. I did give small amount for pills. Also I didn't give night time anxiety pill because  I have morning one late not on purpose. I also checked in every 1 and half hour until I went to bed. She sometime s argue with me but got up. Today she was dry this morning. I hoping for the same results tonight. I know I'm not of the woods. My brother tried to help tell her not drink water before bed.  This turned into me having words with my brother because I didn't give her pills 30 minutes earlier.(r(not just for memory)  There is a reason for me giving her pills when I don't want to go into details.  I'm the primary care giver. Well I want hope for good results again tommorw.