RSS Feed Print
Stages(7)
DanGr
Posted: Tuesday, January 21, 2020 8:52 AM

You all mention “Stages of the disease” 

I’ve searched to find out what these stages are and I’m not finding anything except early, mid and late stage. 
What are these stages and where can I find information on them?
harshedbuzz
Posted: Tuesday, January 21, 2020 9:17 AM

A link to the 7 stage model-

https://tamcummings.com/stages-of-dementia/

Doityourselfer
Posted: Tuesday, January 21, 2020 9:58 AM

Another helpful site can be found at alzinfo.org.  Search for Clinical Stages of Alzheimer's.
Rescue mom
Posted: Tuesday, January 21, 2020 10:40 AM

Keep in mind that nobody fits perfectly into all the “stage” factors (except maybe the very final ones). I think of it as more of a “shorthand” we use when discussing our LOs with dementia, to give others an idea of where the PWD is. And something that gives us a rough idea of where our LOs are, and what’s ahead, on this journey—although the timing is different for everybody.
KawKaw
Posted: Tuesday, January 21, 2020 11:19 AM

In my case, I find the seven stage model useful to quickly explain to others "where she is."

But like anything else, any model we use is a tool and only useful as such.

Camoruso
Posted: Tuesday, January 21, 2020 12:21 PM

Thank you for this info.
DanGr
Posted: Tuesday, January 21, 2020 2:17 PM

Thank you.
DanGr
Posted: Tuesday, January 21, 2020 2:21 PM

My wife seems to have checked some boxes in all seven stages. 

But of course not all the stages in any one stage. 

I guess it’s kind of a matter of which stage she identifies with the most items. 

MacyRose
Posted: Tuesday, January 21, 2020 5:55 PM

Use this: https://www.alzinfo.org/understand-alzheimers/clinical-stages-of-alzheimers/

I used this to track my mom's dementia (she had vascular dementia) and it was exactly right only the stages went a lot faster due to how aggressive mom's case was.  She went from stage 5 to 7 in about a year and a half.  The stage your wife is in is the latest stage for which she is showing symptoms.  

Chrissyquise
Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2020 11:16 PM

Thank you so much for that link!
SunnyBeBe
Posted: Friday, January 24, 2020 12:21 PM

I have read that while VD isn't supposed to fall into the same progression as listed on the Stages of AD chart, that once the PWD is in the late stages, it does fit. I have found that to be true with my LO.  She was diagnosed with VD, but, later said to have mixed with AD, so, I'm not sure what to think.  I do wonder about the time lines though.  I just don't understand how a patient can endure 7(f) for so long? It seems inexplicable. That's where my LO is right now.  The only thing she is able to do now is eat with hand feeding, though she is only skin and bones.
gaelicsea
Posted: Friday, January 24, 2020 2:23 PM

Can anyone explain: 

1. Facial affect 
and 

2.Muscular flexation

in stage 7?

MinutebyMinute
Posted: Friday, January 24, 2020 2:35 PM

SunnyBeBe -- I'm so sorry. I think these end stages are the absolute worst thing ever. We have to watch them evolve mentally into other people and this transform into skin and bones before our very eyes.  {{{HUGS}}}

I'm trying desperately to come to terms with this myself. My mom is frequently asking God to "take her" and apologizing to me all over the place constantly repeating, "I don't know what I'm doing." It's soul-crushing at best.

SunnyBeBe
Posted: Friday, January 24, 2020 4:18 PM

MinutebyMinute, thanks for your kind words. Maybe, your mother doesn't realize what she is saying or she does, but, doesn't want it to hurt you. Or, maybe, she's just confused.  It's difficult to know what to think really.  I'm always perplexed with one thing or another. I just pray that God will have mercy on my LO and take her home to be with her parents and sister. 

I recall that when my LO was newly diagnosed, I was touring a MC facility and on the way in started chatting with the wife of one of the residents. She told me that her husband was end stage and I immediately thought that he was near death.  I didn't realize until years later that this end stage can last for years.  It's unbelievable. 

Sleepless Knight
Posted: Thursday, February 6, 2020 4:26 AM

MinutebyMinute wrote:

SunnyBeBe -- I'm so sorry. I think these end stages are the absolute worst thing ever. We have to watch them evolve mentally into other people and this transform into skin and bones before our very eyes.  {{{HUGS}}}

I'm trying desperately to come to terms with this myself. My mom is frequently asking God to "take her" and apologizing to me all over the place constantly repeating, "I don't know what I'm doing." It's soul-crushing at best.

so sorry to hear this !  Why isn't there any real help for this ? there should be more help from our government on this slow torturous disease that only money can provide assistance, or a lot of people on board. Why isn't there more solutions to the suffering. what healthcare providers , doctors, or homes , would let this happen to a human being ? something is way off course. Am I wrong to feel like this. Soul Crushing is right.