RSS Feed Print
Brain Recovery through Intranasal Light Therapy?
HowDoYouDeal
Posted: Monday, July 1, 2019 4:52 PM

Yesterday I was changing a diaper and my daughter is playing with a little weak flashlight, she shined it right at my eye,  my automatic reaction was to tell her not to do that, that pointing light at your eyes is dangerous - hah

Even after all I have read, I still have that reaction. It wonder if that 's why Vie light choose to use an IntraNasal light to reach the brain, too many people would balk at pointing a flashing light right into their eyes.

I also read Far InfraRed light decreased symptoms of Parkison's in primates. Next will come the studies on Multiple Sclerosis.

Yes, ultraviolet light is dangerous, it kills bacteria and can damage cells, but its on the other side of the spectrum.  The Reddish orange light of  sunrise is actually neuroprotective, one assumes that likewise the sunset has a similar effect.

We've evolved so that the light we are exposed to at the beginning and the end of each day prepares us for the bright and UV light of mid-day, and then heals us afterward.

Steve3D
Posted: Monday, July 1, 2019 6:21 PM

I'm pretty excited by the light therapy.  The options out there right now other than the Vielight are some goggles with sound and the Apple app.  There's been a lot in here about all these- my thanks to those who have researched this.  There's lots of detail available.

My wife has absolutely zero attention span, even in her current early stage of AD (not sure how to gauge the stage.  Maybe middle 5?).  So, having to focus on the Apple app for a period of time is out.  The goggles/sound device would also be a real problem.  She's not going to like not being able to see the cat or me (in that order) for a period of time.  That pretty much limits it to the Vielight.  Putting the headset on her would probably be annoying, but she could still see what was going on around her, and I could monitor her.  And the process time (25 minutes?) is just about right for her to watch an episode of Night Court.

The Vielight might not be the best option.  Hard to say.  But, I think we all face the same obstacles with getting our loved ones to cooperate.  Just getting my wife to take her medication and take a shower is an all-day affair.  Sound familiar?

Lane Simonian
Posted: Tuesday, July 2, 2019 9:35 AM

Here is some more information on the mechanism of action (although not perfect matches):

Transcranial near-infrared photobiomodulation attenuates memory impairment and hippocampal oxidative stress in sleep-deprived mice.

"Our findings revealed that hippocampus-related mitochondrial damage and extensive oxidative stress contribute to the occurrence of memory impairment. In contrast, NIR PBM reduced hippocampal oxidative damage, supporting the ability of 810 nm laser light to improve the antioxidant defense system and maintain mitochondrial survival. This confirms that non-invasive transcranial NIR PBM therapy ameliorates hippocampal dysfunction, which is reflected in enhanced memory function."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29307593

Photobiomodulation therapy reduces apoptotic factors and increases glutathione levels in a neuropathic pain model.

"We speculated that although photobiomodulation therapy increased ROS (reactive oxygen species) generation, it increased antioxidants such as GSH (glutathione). Increase in bcl2 is another mitochondrial protection mechanism for cell survival and that pain relief and decrease in P2X3 expression confirm it."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27640000

The increase in oxidative stress and the decrease in glutathione (the brain's master antioxidant) are likely the two tandem factors that explain Alzheimer's disease.

"The hippocampi – the brain centres for learning and memory – are one of the earliest regions to be sabotaged by Alzheimer’s pathology. Our data revealed that GSH (glutathione) levels plummet in the hippocampi of patients with Alzheimer’s as well as those with MCI (mild cognitive impairment). The frontal cortices – brain CEOs responsible for a variety of executive functions – are chronologically affected later in Alzheimer’s. GSH levels mimic this chronology with no changes in the cortices of MCI patients, but significant reduction in those of Alzheimer’s patients. Interestingly, GSH remains unaffected in the cerebellum – a brain region unaffected by Alzheimer’s till late stages. It appears GSH decline is not ubiquitous but rather a region-specific phenomenon that appears to precisely map the progression of Alzheimer’s in our brains.

Anything that reduces oxidative stress and increases glutathione levels helps treat Alzheimer's disease: this includes CBD oil, aromatherapy (especially quick direct inhalation for a couple of times each day), panax ginseng, and likely light therapy.

Best wishes to you and your wife, Steve.  I think one or more of these treatments may help her.

Steve3D
Posted: Tuesday, July 2, 2019 11:27 AM

Thanks, Lane.  CBD oil and light therapy are the only things on the list we're not trying so far.  The usual prescriptions (gotta keep the mainstream docs happy so that the elder care lawyers are happy), the usual supplements and acupuncture are all being tried.  Diet is an on-going struggle, getting my wife to eat properly.  That sometimes comes down to Oreo cookies and ice cream, just for the calories, empty though they may be.

To everyone out there who works so hard on researching this nightmare, thank you.  I wish I had better words to express my gratitude.

Steve

Lane Simonian
Posted: Wednesday, July 3, 2019 9:25 AM

Thank you, Steve.  I keep waking every day thinking that a better answer to this disease will be there and each day I am disappointed that it is not there yet.  I have probably learned more about potential treatments for Alzheimer's disease on this board than I have learned anywhere else.  I have learned that there are at least ways to contend with this disease.

Some calories are better than no calories, so yes don't worry about giving your wife oreos and ice cream.

HowDoYouDeal
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2019 1:00 PM

If you think glasses/goggles will be met with resistance, you could light the whole room- once you know its safe, or could she just listen to the sound from the ALZLife app. 

Then add light when she's ready, or -- this is how I get my 2 year old to do stuff-- tell her its fun and do it too. Or you do it first. Maybe offer it as her choice, her time to close her eyes and meditate.

Or, and while I do think this will compromise the benefits, but you can upgrade to glasses that are clear for another 90 odd dollars- on the DAVID Audio Visual Entrainment devices, aka lights and headphones.  But I don't know if they offer a machine that would have both the 

Session type that is Gamma --AND--

the see-through glasses--

on the same 'machine'.

I got a kit from Adafruit that does all the frequencies except Gamma, and am working on adding it to the programming. The glasses that come in the Kit, are more like light eye protection (think shop class),  they are tinted, so everything looks a bit grey, but I can still see through them. They probably sell for under $10.

okay, here are the links

https://mindalive.com/collections/eyesets

https://gammalighttherapy.com/

Steve3D
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2019 3:39 PM

Well, I bit the bullet and bought the Vielight Neuro Gamma.  It will be delivered today (Thursday the 11th).  I showed the pictures to my wife, and beyond seeming amused by the "stylish looks," I think she'll let me try it.  The 20 minute session will fit into a TV comedy, keeping her attention.

My wife seems to really need to see me, and know where I am, all the time.  Even as early in AD as she is, this is an issue.  So, I'm hoping the Vielight will be comfortable, and she can still know where I am.  I'll be monitoring her to make sure she doesn't try to take it off.  Being battery powered will help, too, as we won't be tied to a wall plug, and can move about.

I'm unsure how to measure results, though.  As her symptoms aren't consistent, I'm don't know how to mark a baseline.  I'm going to do the once-a-day for 6 days, one day off, as they did in their clinical trial.  I'd certainly be open to suggestions on tracking data.  

If I can see anything happening, I'll report back.  It might take a while.

I also just saw an interesting article at www.beingpatient.com/vps35-tau-proteins-alzheimers.  Everyone else may have already seen it?

There's a lot of good stuff happening out there.  Too late for some of us, but long term shows hope.  

Lane Simonian
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2019 9:47 AM

I hope the Vielight will help your wife, Steve.  Trying is the only way we can really find out what works.   I would keep up with what you are already doing as it may have a positive synergistic effects.

Not all of this may apply, but I would look for a better recognition of place, of time, of recognition of people (not necessarily relationships), greater alertness, and great awareness.

Thank you for the link.  VSP35 also appears to inhibit microglia activation (immune cells) and promote the regeneration of neurons. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29853629 

My own sense is that each link is getting us closer to a better understanding of Alzheimer's disease.  In my mind, the connections need to go beyond amyloid and tau to a more comprehensive view of the disease, but that may well happen in the next couple of years.

HowDoYouDeal
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2019 11:31 AM

So excited to hear someone is actually trying it. 

When it comes to measuring, it can be as informal or formal and involved as you and your wife are willing to do. Its probably a good idea, whatever tests you choose, do them or document today, before you start your trial.

So there's clock drawing and counting backwards from 59 (?) by sevens, there's remembering  6 or 7 words (nouns?), like hat chair blue train ... uh cookie? ok, not cookie, I can't remember the rest.

The leeza;s care site will list top 5 tests, I think they come courtesy of the AD Reading room

http://www.leezascareconnection.org/uncategorized/test-your-memory-for-alzheimers/

AND/ OR

Mental status tests

Mental status testing evaluates memory, ability to solve simple problems and other thinking skills. Such tests give an overall sense of whether a person:

• Is aware of symptoms.
  • Knows the date, time, and where he or she is.
  • Can remember a short list of words, follow instructions and do simple calculations.

Mini-Mental State Exam (MMSE) and the Mini-Cog test 

The MMSE and Mini-Cog test are two commonly used assessments.

During the MMSE, a health professional asks a patient a series of questions designed to test a range of everyday mental skills. The maximum MMSE score is 30 points. A score of 20 to 24 suggests mild dementia, 13 to 20 suggests moderate dementia, and less than 12 indicates severe dementia. On average, the MMSE score of a person with Alzheimer's declines about two to four points each year.

During the Mini-Cog, a person is asked to complete two tasks:

1. Remember and a few minutes later repeat the names of three common objects.
  2. Draw a face of a clock showing all 12 numbers in the right places and a time specified by the examiner.

The results of this brief test can help a physician determine if further evaluation is needed.

Steve3D
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2019 12:00 PM

Lane and HowDoYouDeal - thanks for your input.  It is truly appreciated.

Right out of the box, there does seem to be a power supply issue with the Vielight.  I've emailed them for help.  The device is pretty much "plug-and-play," so I don't think it's operator error.

I'll continue to do all the other procedures - acupuncture, aroma therapy, supplements, etc.  I do remember that the last time we were in to see my wife's neurologist, my wife seemed to do a little better with the clock test.  That test alone was so horrible on her first visit, back in January 2018, that I had a really tough time holding it together.  So, seeing some improvement felt really good.  The test was far from perfect, and might have just been lucky, but I'll take what I can get.

Thanks again for all your input.

Steve

HowDoYouDeal
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2019 10:03 PM

Re: 6 days on, 1 day off. I'd like to suggest: to heck with the one day off.  If its true that plaque builds during the day and is washed away by the 40hz at night,  if you do 6 and 1, you may notice a difference on the day after your 'off' day.

I am thinking she has years of  years of toxic amyloid plaque that can be removed, but you are going to be the best judge of what's best for your wife.

I love that the Vielight is available and targeting the brain with 40Hz Near Infra Red light, but I don't understand why the intranasal light's frequency is 10Hz, that's just flickering to avoid the  dulling down response to a constant stimuli, like they have seen in studies with implanted devices.

Also, I don't know why it doesn't have sound, maybe they are thinking the NIR is just as good as a 40Hz sound wave, but why leave it out when we know that light and sound together is what produced the most impressive results, the ones that actually affected the hippocampus. Maybe the NIR can do it all?

If you notice the improvements peak and plateau (around 6 weeks), please don't give up, other devices may actually do more.

Steve3D
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2019 10:49 PM

I think you're right about the day off.  But, the schedule will probably work out to be hit and miss, in reality.  Appointments, issues of all sorts are going to happen.  I'll take what I can get.  There is a lot of plaque to flush out, and it's not going to happen overnight.

One of the reasons I chose the Vielight was because of the lack of sound.  My wife is easily irritated by sound, and might resist trying a noisy device (even though the clicking isn't really that bad, I'm sure).  So, a quiet device with no distraction seemed the best.  I think a combination of all the devices would the the perfect world.  But, ain't gonna happen until everybody gets together on this.

I can't even pretend to understand the frequencies.  I've read the studies, but my brain quickly overheats and I have to go drink another beer.  Oh, wait - that's the good side of it.

Vielight responded immediately to my power supply issue, and they're sending a new unit.  Their customer support seems pretty good.  

A minor issue with the headset is sizing.  My wife is small, and adjusting the headset for proper contact is tough.  They could use some more adjustment.  I'll overcome it, though.  Again, nothing's perfect in this world.  As Ricky Nelson sang, can't please everyone . . .

HowDoYouDeal
Posted: Saturday, July 13, 2019 3:42 PM

Ah, yes, what we need is sound waves that you cannot hear.  It does exist, its Ultrasound. Thus the Focused Ultrasound trials. Please keep us posted on what happens, I am desperately hoping that you will get results, then I can show them to my extended family, and they will be willing to try it too.

To have light improve symptoms enough that she can use a light and sound device, then get even better, and be able to qualify for the Vielight trial or the Ultrasound trial, then the gene therapy trial, then taa daa, everyone gets their loved ones back. Ah naive optimism.

Steve3D
Posted: Saturday, July 13, 2019 10:39 PM

If you ever want to know what I look like, look up naive in the dictionary.  My picture's proudly posted.  And, I love alliteration.

The light therapy is the closest thing I've come across with any potential that doesn't cause harm (to anything other than my checkbook).  I'm willing to bet I'm not the only person out there that won't try just about anything, no matter how snake oil/voodoo it might be.  (I sent Lane's link to snake oil to my wife's Naturopath MD.  She loved it!)

I'll be taking my wife in for her 6-month neurologist check in a week or so.  I'm not going to tell him about the Vielight, only because I want to have him do the usual tests, and then again in another 6 months.  I want to see if the (theoretical) professional will notice anything.

Ultrasound sounds like the way to go, too.  My wife's sensitivity to sound is getting worse.  She gets annoyed, then upset, about any steady, repetitive noise.  I don't know if this is a standard symptom - whatever "standard" means with AD.

HowDoYouDeal
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2019 12:42 PM

So, one article said that they saw a reduction in amyloid plaque after an hour of light, another one said after a week. But I am not sure if these were mouse studies or people studies.  I like your idea of not telling the doctor, yet. It'd be so cool to have a doctor that's part of the whole 'nope, we're only doing current medical science world' see an improvement.

Most of the experiments are talking about an hour per day, what about an episode of night court in the morning, and at night?

That'd give her 40 mins. Another experiment  I saw had people wearing soft fabric hood things that had lights embedded, and were wearing them 24 hours a day. Not sure at what power or for how many days, I will try again to find it later.

Please try the heck out of this thing, because the early results were so darn good, and there are so many people waiting to see it fail - or succeed.

Steve3D
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2019 9:53 AM

The replacement power supply should be here by Friday.  I'm chompin' at the bit to get this thing started.

I like the twice a day idea, too.  The problem will be getting my wife to cooperate.  With everything else going on, I know there will be days with no light.  And that certainly has more than one meaning.

A hood device would be ideal, as it seems it would fit the skull better.  The Vielight is just a bit large for my wife's head.  For someone who had a whole bunch of "smarts" (college teacher, children's book writer, genuine smart gal), she's a tiny girl, and has a small head (as opposed to me, a head as big as a buffalo's, and dumb as a box of rocks).  Getting the contacts to touch the scalp in the right spots is going to be a little tricky.  I don't want to mess with it too much to adjust its size - can't afford another one if I break it.  

HowDoYouDeal
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2019 8:06 AM

So I know that with Ultrasound, you need direct contact with the skin, as ultrasound waves do NOT travel well through air, but I didn't realize that NIR light also needed a really good contact. I thought it would just be for comfort.

Does the manual say contact is important for treatment, and re: sizing, try calling the company, the metal rails are not the expensive part, maybe they haven't thought about head sizes yet, maybe they will, if you bring it up.

They aren't a household name yet, so they are likely more willing to accommodate individuals, and I hope, welcome feedback about how they can make their product better suit their target markets.

Steve3D
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2019 11:04 AM

The manual does say to "ensure" the headset modules are in contact with the skin.  The modules are on metal bands, and are adjustable for correct positioning based on the "apex" of the head.  The bands are curved just a bit too big for my wife's head, and I don't want to bend them.

I'm going to go very low-tech with the contact issue, and try either an elastic sweat band or bandana around the unit and my wife's head.  It won't be tight, just snug enough to help ensure good contact.  I want to make it as perfect as possible.  

I believe the studies I've seen on cadavers show contact.  My wife had cancer a few years ago, and chemo killed off her hair, and it came back very thin.  So, that won't be much of a problem.  I would imagine anyone with very thick hair would have to try a bit harder to make good contact.

They've been very responsive with email replies (it's been a couple of PhDs replying to questions).  So, I have confidence in their customer service attitude.  Of course, Canadians probably get tired of the stereotype, hearing how nice they are.  

HowDoYouDeal
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2019 11:49 AM

No, we never get tired of it, and even if we did, we'd be too polite to say so.

So NIR therapy is for the brain, but Red light therapy is for the skin and scalp, its possible that NIR can do both, and your wife's hair will grow a little more with treatment, I can't remember where I read that a couple of people noticed hair regrowth, you can even buy an Irestore or an Igrow, which is just for the scalp.

Steve3D
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2019 10:50 AM

I've seen an ad on TV for a baseball cap device with red lasers that's "guaranteed" to regrow hair from genetic pattern baldness, both women and men.  OK, that sentence sounds a bit snippy, and I don't mean it that way, as it does show the  potential for light therapy.  

I hadn't thought about hair regrowth; good point.  I'm not sure how much benefit my wife will get from the Vielight, though.  Its modules only touch specific spots, whereas the baseball cap device covers the whole scalp.  But, it will be interesting to see if there's any stimulation.

I'd thought about getting the baseball cap device, just to try on on wife.  But, it's also quite expensive.  So, the Vielight definitely wins the coin toss, in this case.  Besides, her hair loss is from the rather brutal chemo during her cancer, rather than pattern baldness.

Which brings up a question I've had about cause and effect.  My wife had skin cancer just under her right eye in 2008.  Over a period of several years, a lot happened: there were eight surgeries, trying to get it all.  Then there were radiation treatments, 28 "doses," basically pointing the radiation "gun" at the frontal lobe of the brain.  Then, when that didn't work, a newly-released chemo, designed specifically for this type of skin cancer, taken for a year (which, so far, has worked).

So, the (very rhetorical) question is, could all this radiation and chemical trauma to her head and body, over several years,  have sped up her Alzheimer's?  Or (still rhetorical), is this something that just looks like AD, but is basically a "cooked" brain?  Just something to wonder about as I lay awake at night.

My two trips to Canada, years ago, were a lot of fun.  My first day there, in a restaurant, I asked what sort of imported beers they had.  The very nice waitress said, "Coors, Bud, and Miller."  I almost fell off my chair, laughing.  I should have asked what's local, as you make some really great beer up there.  Oh, and the waitress also politely asked me to avoid being eaten by bears.  I was happy to comply.

HowDoYouDeal
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2019 11:53 AM

Ah yes, but Vielight is using Near Infra Red light, that can travel, I believe its been quoted at 150mm  (or 1.5 cm) into tissue.  Different depths depending on whether its travelling through bone, soft tissue, etc etc. 

This is why I don't understand why they aren't putting the 40Hz plaque clearing frequency in the nasal light.

HowDoYouDeal
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2019 4:06 PM

Canada is a vast country, with surprisingly few bears, although there are many differences amongst us, one thing we all have in common, we make fun of American beer. Sorry.
Steve3D
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2019 4:57 PM

On our last trip to western Canada, in the late '90's, we saw quite a few bears and other animals.  While on the highway, you always know when some animal has been sighted because everyone stops at the side of the road.  There was one sighting that was exceptional.

We saw a medium sized bear on the side of the road, calmly eating some berries or something.  There were probably 15 or 20 cars stopped to watch, with everyone aiming their cameras at the bear.  When it was done eating, it looked up at everyone for a minute.  It then turned its back to all of us, back end pointing our direction, and proceeded to perform a natural bodily function, exactly what bears are known for doing in the woods.  When it was done, it simply walked away.  I saluted the bear for his opinion of all of us, and left to look for the next beer.

HowDoYouDeal
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2019 10:40 PM

You're one up on me, I've never seen a bear but I also haven't travelled west, only the east coast of Canada, several times.

So, how is it going?  I was looking at the trial again, and realizing, hey, those participants didn't get their own headsets, they were only getting the 40Hz once a week when they came into clinic, at home they only had the intranasal light.

In the simplest reductionism ever, you might be able to see the benefits they saw at 12 weeks after 12 days, or less if you can get fewer nights in between treatments where the amyloid can build up again.

I also wanted to mention that earlier I thought that lighter therapy could help with 50% of the disease, now I remember reading that tau pathologies are linked to the severity of the amyloid build up. Tau is also affected by Photon Neuro Modulation.

Have you been able to do a session? Re: night court: Are you watching the season with Roz or ones with he other bailiff. I just loved Bull's character.

Aha, here it is, it was the 5 person trial that only had intranasal daily

It was the 5 person study that

Five patients with mild to moderately severe cognitive impairment were entered into 12 weeks of active treatment as well as a follow-up no-treatment, 4-week period. Patients were assessed with the MMSE and Alzheimer's Disease Assessment Scale (ADAS-cog) tests. The protocol involved weekly, in-clinic use of a transcranial-intranasal PBM device; and daily at-home use of an intranasal-only device. R

Steve3D
Posted: Friday, July 26, 2019 11:24 AM

We've switched over to Will and Grace.  While I personally identify with Bull, my wife's become annoyed with Dan, as well as Barney on The Andy Griffith Show.  I rue the day we have to jump to Green Acres.

We've done 8 sessions so far.  There was an issue with the first power supply, so it took a week or so to get a new one.  Everything seems to be working fine now.  

Last night (Thursday the 26th, the 8th session), my wife became annoyed early on with the nasal unit, so I took it out.  She's OK so far with the headset.  I'll try the nasal unit again tomorrow (Saturday).  We'll be having dinner with friends tonight, so might not get in a session.  I am going to try to do it every possible evening, though.  Twice a day just isn't going to happen.  Life's like juggling flaming chain saws, these days, so I have to take what I can get.

I haven't noticed any difference in my wife yet, after 8 sessions.  I probably mentioned before that when she had skin cancer under one eye, she had a lot of radiation "shots" that pretty much pointed directly at her lower frontal cortex.  I'm afraid that might skew the results.  A good friend of mine, a retired ear/nose/throat surgeon, agrees.  He's afraid it's a situation of fried cortex added to Alzheimer's.  But, he also agrees that this will do no harm.  Being an MD, he of course slightly raises an eyebrow on anything non-standard.  But, he's known my wife longer than I have, and understands that I have to try everything.  

My wife's just begun the urinary incontinence phase at night.  I'm hoping the light therapy might slow that down, as two loads of laundry a day takes up a lot of time.  I haven't had time to get her in to see her neurologist for the 6-month check.  That's on the list of Things To Do.  Right now, I'm getting the CELA lawyer stuff done.  At $400 an hour, that's certainly going to help with the "spend down" phase of things.  This lawyer is the only CELA in the Phoenix area.  I'd have thought there would be more. Go figure.

That's odd that there isn't a complete unit for home use on the clinical study.  Seems like once a week, for a 20-minute session, wouldn't show much.  Running a study with once a day, once a week, once a month sessions would be more productive, I'd think.  Oh, well, not my study.

Now, need to see what time Hogan's Heroes comes on.  Scheduling has become a critical job.

HowDoYouDeal
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2019 10:22 PM

Dan from NightCourt was irritating, but the female public defender character got almost as tiring before too long.

The past study didn't have the helmet part for home use, but the ones that are recruiting now do, its a full on double blind so they are testing sychronous pulses vs asynchronous pulses against sham pulses.

Its nice to see that the study on veterans is already running, because regular people with alzheimer's can get pretty angry and violent, imagine the havoc someone with military training could cause.

How is the good fight going?

I've been wondering about how far the effect of the NIR goes, is there a limit to the distance or volume of cells that receive the energy? Will the treatment improve cell metabolics in the brain closer to the surface first?

Are you going to see improvements in the functions controlled by the outer brain before the hippocampus?

{but don't let my wishful thinking interfere with pure, unbiased results, or lack thereof. I do have my fingers crossed for your wife's next 6 mo appt, and the one after that}

I just found a brain site that I really like

https://mayfieldclinic.com/pe-anatbrain.htm

Color illustration, coronal cross-section showing the basal ganglia.

Side view illustration of a human skull

Would those cells need to no longer need a boost before the benefits would be seen in deeper tissue, or does it affect all cells the same regardless of tissue depth?

I'd assumed there'd be some loss of strength of effect, like the ripples of a stone thrown into a pond get smaller as they go further from the source, but this is new stuff, maybe it doesn't work the way we'd expect.

We are back from a week at the cottage, where we buried the ashes of our fantastic cat who passed away last month. We miss him.

I still haven't found the LED embedded hood thing for you, I know I must have saved it somewhere, but I honestly don't remember if it was regular light or pulsed light. I'll get back to looking now that I am not spending so much time at the vet's office.

Ciao for now

HowDoYouDeal
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2019 11:56 PM

I am also interested in whether regular ole' ultrasound would be able to transmit through the relatively thin temporal bones in the head. Apparently EMT's use it in ambulances to see if there is a clot in the brain during a stroke.

Early testing shows using a different ultrasound frequency- all by itself, works just as well, as a drugs at breaking up blood clots, without the side effects.

Its a lot like how shock waves breakdown a kidney stone.

I mean hey, ultrasound improves bloodflow to the skin, blood flow is compromised in the AD brain, but for heaven's sake, don't aim those ultrasound waves at your head, who knows what could happen!

HowDoYouDeal
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2019 12:17 AM

400 an hour, sheesh! Is there a paralegal that can get most of the stuff laid out first, and then the lawyer could just review it?

Do you have your own business? Start a business that is related to dealing with Alzheimer's and the law, then you might be able to write it off as a business expense. Kidding!

Steve3D
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2019 10:59 AM

My condolences on the loss of your cat.  It sounds like a nice sendoff, though.  I may have the authorities send my ashes your way.  Just don't forget to spread 'em aimed down wind.

We've used the Vielight a total of 28 "sessions" so far, only missing one day.  I know the clinical trial is doing 6 on/ 1 off.  I don't know if there's a reason for the 1 day off?  For the most part, my wife doesn't seem to mind the sessions.  Even the nasal device doesn't seem to bother her too much.  I try to keep her occupied, as she will occasionally seem to want to take the nasal device out.  (I put the device up my nostril, just to see what it was like.  It's not terribly uncomfortable, but you do know it's there.)  The sessions are 20 minutes, so it's not too bad.

I took my wife to her neurologist a couple of days ago for her 6-month check.  He did the usual tests, draw a clock face with hands at 11:10, remember some stuff, name 5 states beginning with "M," that sort of thing.  She did badly on all but the states (I almost blew that one).  As I mentioned before, I'm not going to tell the neurologist about the Vielight, just to see if I can tell any difference in another 6 months.  As a non-professional, non-clinical kind of guy, I'm flying by the seat of my pants on this.  And frankly, that's some thin fabric.

So far, after 28 sessions, I don't think I notice a difference in my wife.  But, I really don't know what to expect.  With the other variable thrown in (cancer treatments with radiation aimed at the frontal lobe), it's tough to know what sort of damage has been done.  My retired ear/nose/throat MD friend believes the radiation is a major factor.  If so, the damage is done with little or no hope.

But, I'll continue with the Vielight, and hope for the best.  It will be interesting to see if there's anything noticeable after 12 weeks, as the study is doing.  Being with her all the time, I may be too close to see anything.  That might be a big factor in determining progress.

You ask interesting questions about depth of penetration of the light.  The "ripples in a stream" analogy is good.  I wish I had some insight on that.  I'm very, very non-technical.  I just spent yesterday setting up a new Roku streaming device.  While it's basically plug 'n play, it took me a while.  Unfortunately, my tech support (the 8 year old neighbor kid) wasn't available.

The $400/hour lawyer is the only CELA in the Phoenix area.  There are 6 of 'em down in Tucson, south of Phoenix.  I'd had a retired lawyer do initial trust work for us (it was free, she's a good friend).  The CELA kept a lot of what was done, but does have quite a bit more to add to everything, details that will make a difference.  She modified the trust to better protect me (that sounds so horridly selfish).  So, I believe it's worth it, in the long run.  Yes, it's financially painful.  So was the Vielight.  When you're retired on a fixed income, writing checks like that will really pucker your whatever.

AD is indeed a growth industry.  I almost wish I'd figured that out a long time ago, and started some sort of business.  Instead, I wasted my time reading contracts for a monstrously huge defense company, going to meetings that droned on seemingly forever.  Most of my input there was for clauses where I'd just say, "well, you can if you want to, but I wouldn't."  Did you know there are military standard contract clauses addressing walking on the grass on a government facility?  It has to do with destruction of government-owned shrubbery.  And that's how I spent my time.

HowDoYouDeal
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2019 11:42 AM

Government-owned shrubbery?! That's a Monty python sketch waiting to happen right there!
Steve3D
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2019 10:00 AM

I've found that any dealings between Huge Corporations and The Government are by definition Monty Python skits, and absurdly hilarious beyond belief.

In my years there, I also discovered that, if you insist on giving meeting reports in interpretive dance, you don't get invited to near as many meetings.  It certainly frees up your day.

I'm continuing the Vielight sessions with my wife.  She's being very good about it, and most of the time says it's not really uncomfortable.  Here in Arizona, allergies are a constant problem.  So, the occasional sneeze and nose blowing interrupts the nasal device.  

I'd still like to know why the Vielight clinical trial is 6 days on / 1 day off.  The Vielight company spokesperson I asked via email didn't have details, or perhaps it's proprietary information.  Other than missing one day, I'm trying to do a session every day (34 days total so far).  I don't have a specific time of day for sessions, just whenever.  It's something to do until the official clinical trial is over.  They say patience is a virtue.  It's a tough one.

HowDoYouDeal
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2019 11:53 PM

You have read about LarryTheRunner's experience taking Singulair, yes?

Go to  sections

Study Type  : Interventional  (Clinical Trial) Estimated Enrollment  : 150 participants Allocation: Randomized Intervention Model: Parallel Assignment Masking: Double (Participant, Investigator) Primary Purpose: Treatment Official Title: Effects of Montelukast Therapy on Alzheimer's Disease (EMERALD) Estimated Study Start Date  : July 2019 Estimated Primary Completion Date  : August 2021 Estimated Study Completion Date  : August 2021

https://immunityageing.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12979-017-0102-7

8 The Open Neurology Journal, 2017, Volume 11 Spencer I. Rozin
RESULTS
Patients Treated Without Knowledge of Medication Identity:
Patients had memory problems, forgetfulness, and issues with word recall, problems with focus or concentration or
feeling like being in a fog. All patients had MMSE scores 27-30/30.
Patient #1 was a 69 year old (y/o) White male (WM)
Patient #2 was a 65 y/o WM
Patient #3 was a 69 y/o White female (WF)
Patient #4 was a 52 y/o WF
Patient #5 was a 56 y/o WF
Patient #6 was a 69 y/o WM
All patients had significant subjective improvement in the symptoms within 24 hours of starting the medication and
recurrence of symptoms 24-48 hours after discontinuation. One patient developed insomnia which resolved with dose
reduction. No other side effects were reported.
PATIENTS TREATED WITH KNOWLEDGE OF THE MEDICATION NAME AND NORMAL USE
Patients with Suspected Memory Impairment by Report and Testing
All had memory problems, word recall issues, and problems in staying focused. Family also reported declines in the
memory. Patients had MMSE exam scores 29-30/30.
Patient #7 was a 70 y/o WM
Patient #8 was a 54 y/o, Black male
Patient #9 was a 75 y/o WM improved with 20 mg dose in AM, but forgot to take other doses during the daytime.
Improvement wore off after 2-3 hours.
These patients had significant improvement in the symptoms. The symptoms recurred in 24-36 hours of
discontinuation of the medication. No side effects were reported in any patient.
Patients with Dementia Who Had Agitation and Anxiety Symptoms
All patients had MMSE scores 20-26/30.
Patient #10 was an 85 y/o WF who was already on Namenda and PRN Xanax
Patient #11 was an 86 y/o WM who was already on Namenda and Prozac
Both patients had very dramatic response with the resolution of anxiety, agitation and their families noted that the
patients were more interactive. Patients had no significant memory improvement. No side effects were reported.
Patient #12 was an 86 y/o WF who showed no improvement. She was previously intolerant to Aricept, Exelon and
Rivastigmine.
Patients with Dementia, Anxiety and Agitation Along with Other CNS Issues
All patients had MMSE scores 23-25/30.
Patient #13 was a 77 y/o WM with co-existent mild traumatic brain injury already on Namenda and Aricept
Patient #14 was a 79 y/o WM with severe long lasting post-operative dementia already on Aricept and Ativan
Patient #13 improved significantly and Patient #14 showed mild improvement. No side effects were reported.
Patient #15 Was an 85 y/o WF with MMSE 26/30. She declined Namenda and Aricept. Memory improved within 1
week of starting medication per patient and husband. No side effects were reported. MMSE follow up was 28/30 on
medication.
Patient #16 was an 84 y/o WM with a MOCA score of 18/30 on Razadyne 4 mg BID with worsening memory per
Montelukast in Memory Loss and Dementia The Open Neurology Journal, 2017, Volume 11 9
patient and wife. He declined Namenda or higher dose Razadyne. The family noted improvement in patient’s memory
and he was less agitated on Montelukast, but due to frequent dosing schedule, he discontinued the medication after 2
weeks.
Patient #17 was a 78 y/o WF with a MOCA score of 13/30 on Namenda10 mg BID and Aricept 10 mg daily with
worsening memory per patient and family. The patient’s agitation and anxiousness improved per family report.
DISCUSSION
This case series suggests that Montelukast may have significant potential to improve cognitive impairment and
dementia. Montelukast is known to block the activation of the CysLT1 receptor [2]. Activation of CysLT receptors
induces neuroinflammation. It has been shown to increase astrocyte proliferation and glial fibrillary acidic protein [8],
response to acute neuronal injury after focal cerebral ischemia [9], and the activation of human traumatic brain injury
and brain tumors [10] and induce astrocyte proliferation and death after oxygen-glucose deprivation [11]. Prior animal
studies have suggested that use of Montelukast may decrease the central nervous system inflammation [12], and
attenuate chronic brain injury after induced focal cerebral ischemia [13] and protects against quinolinic acid/malonic
acid induced neurotoxicity [14].
In the rat studies [3, 15] the use of Montelukast was associated with improved neurocognitive function with the
proposed mechanism showing improvement in neuroinflammation. These studies have used Montelukast doses up to 10
mg/kg body weight. The use of higher doses than that used in this case series may show memory improvement in
patients with dementia. Further studies with Montelukast in patients with cognitive impairment and dementia as well as
in a trial of prophylactic use to prevent these illnesses should be done. The reuse of an older medication might speed the
development of an effective medication for these devastating diseases and result in a new product that would be
affordable to a huge population of patients.
CONCLUSION
The use of Montelukast in patients with cognitive impairment improved memory. Its use in patients with dementia
led to lessened agitation, but the effect on memory improvement may be limited by the dose selection lower than that
used in the animal studies.
CONFLICT OF INTEREST

The author confirms that this article content has no conflict of interest

HowDoYouDeal
Posted: Friday, August 23, 2019 12:55 AM

And licorice, apparently helps too, not commercial stuff, real licorice root. You can also buy it powdered. Too late to research. There was a little post back in 2015 by Lane... more later if you are interested.

Steve3D
Posted: Friday, August 23, 2019 10:16 AM

With all this, no such thing as NOT interested.
Steve3D
Posted: Friday, August 23, 2019 10:23 AM

With all this, no such thing as NOT interested.