RSS Feed Print
Medication options for troublesome nighttime behaviors
katherine4
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2019 11:35 AM

Hi,

My mother is in a memory care unit, and she has a roommate, although there is a partition separating the two sides of the room. My mother and her roommate (who is a lovely lady) get along quite well during the day, but at night my mother has been yelling at her to "get out of her house". There was also an incident a couple of days ago during the day when my mother got in the roommate's bed (without the roommate in it) and refused to get out. 

A nurse practitioner will be seeing my mom this week and will be prescribing a medication to try to address these behaviors. Can anyone share suggestions and experiences with medications that have worked very well for the PWD they know?

Thank you!

TessC
Posted: Wednesday, August 28, 2019 2:28 PM

Sorry I don't have suggestions but with the help of the NP, I'm sure something will be found that will help. Just be watchful for unwanted side effects like grogginess, sleeping more, loss of appetite and not talking. Some meds that help one person may be bad for someone else.

My mother had sundowners around 4-5 pm and she would start to act out, or become scared or confused. I had to be sure she wasn't overly tired during those hours, so I had her napping from around 3 to 5 pm. I also made sure from 1030 am till about 1130 am-i placed her near a bright window or outside on sunny days so she got plenty of sunlight. Sunlight during that hour set the body's circadian clock and helps with mood and sleep.

Good luck!

Dunc1129
Posted: Thursday, August 29, 2019 6:39 AM

You may have to experiment with different medications as what works for one person may not work for someone else. My bride was very combative at night to include hitting, cursing and yelling which was disruptive to her and the staff. Right now she is doing great with a small dose of Trazadone and a small dose of Risperidone. It is a process.