RSS Feed Print
Angry Behavior
rioconcerned
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2019 2:39 AM

My wife and I are taking care of her 98 year old mother who is in the advanced stages of Dementia.  She lives with us in a seperate apartment attached to the house  We also have to travel out of town now and then and have recently made arrangements with a very nice caretaker service for her.  We brought the ladies in to meet her and everything went fine we thought.  My wife had to go to a 2 day meeting out of town which I traveled along with her on.  We get a  call from the service that she has become very hostile don't want anyone touching her threaten to call the police(which she can't get up to do anyway) and was just very nasty to the young lady.  We know because we have cameras in her place.

Soon we will have to be out of the country for 2 weeks and we are tried to find some workable options around this.  My wife is considering whether there are some calming drugs she can take.  I am a little concerned about that.  Anyone have any suggestions?

harshedbuzz
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2019 2:47 AM

It might be better to place her in a MCF or SNF for the duration of your trip. Many places do offer respite services. 

JJAz
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2019 8:51 AM

Drugs are unlikely to be a good solution for this problem.  Look for a facility that offers respite care.  Usually assisted living or memory care facilities.  She will be well cared for any you will have peace of mind.

Blessings,

Jamie