RSS Feed Print
Forced Dancing 2: Riverdance!
LicketyGlitz
Posted: Thursday, August 29, 2019 4:41 PM

Uh... I'm having waaaayyyy too much fun force dancing my mother.

https://www.stumpedtowndementia.com/post/forced-dancing-2-riverdance
abc123
Posted: Thursday, August 29, 2019 8:39 PM

On part 1 video, I did see her smile!!!! If I did that with my Mom she might smack me! Lol! But Mom still has a fun side at times. She enjoys singing and whistling and will do it for LONG periods of time. I always join in with the singing and she likes that. (I think) The whistling makes me crazy,  so to prevent myself from a meltdown now I will sing while she whistles. She seems to like that too, I think. I try to engage in whatever she is doing. I really really miss doing things with her. We used to cook together and garden together. We were the Christmas decorating Queens of the universe and all the other holidays to. One of my best memories of her prior to Alz was about 9 years ago. It was October and we were going to purchase fresh pumpkins for her house. It was a beautiful, cool, crisp day. We were being silly together. I pulled up to the front of the house and was waiting for her. She came out the door smiling and started doing her version of a line dance down the walk towards the car! I thought I would actually die laughing! She was also doing her version of a rap song,  I’m gonna get a pumpkin! I’m gonna buy a pumpkin!!!! I’m gonna get it! I’m gonna get it! A pumpkin pumpkin. Repeatedly!!!  Nine years ago, a beautiful, sweet, funny memory.

Thank you for dancing with your Mom! Thank you for this post! 

LicketyGlitz
Posted: Thursday, August 29, 2019 11:39 PM

Smart on the coping mechanism, abc, to just sing through her whistling!

We've lost a lot of doing things together too. She still putters around while I cook, but even the last three months she can no longer stir the stuff on the stove. Kinda the last cooking skill to go. Now she just takes all the hand towels out of the kitchen and drapes 'em around the house! I haven't found a coping mechanism yet for my frustration when I have dripping hands and now towels in sight!

You've raised the bar on me - now I've got to go figure out a way to make her dance to a pumpkin patch.

Thank you for sharing your experience. It helps me to smile at someone else's goofy dementia journey!