RSS Feed Print
Just need to talk to my friends (115)
Lorita
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2020 11:30 AM

Hi,

Guess it's time for the empty cotton sack thing again.  Always hated that - just didn't pull right until I got a few pounds inside.  (silly, but I'm comparing pulling an empty cotton sack to starting a new part of the thread - just have to start over).

It's a gray day - not pleasant.  Mike came early and filled the creepfeeder.  He always calls before he gets here - guess he doesn't want me to get scared when I see a truck coming.  He was outside so didn't get a chance to open the gate for him.  I try to do everything I can to help - which isn't  much.  The PU being started brought all the cows down and they stood around and bawled while he was filling the feeder.  He had to hurry to get back through the gate because they were chasing the PU - those girls were fed yesterday but they would eat every hour if they could - creep that is - they always have hay and still have some liquid feed.  Not sure if I'll have it filled again this year because it's not good for it to sit through the summer - gets thick and too gooey for them to lick.  I had 500 lb. (10 sacks) standing in the PU bed next to the cab and one of the girls opened the tops of two sacks.  We used to have a cow (Penny) who would sneak around to one side of the PU while we were feeding and pull off a sack.  We'd chase her away and she's come to the other side and do the same thing.

A sad thing - he had a little, dead calf on the back of his truck.  Found it this morning when they were feeding.  The little thing had bedded down by a hayring and a cow stepped on it.  The calves get covered with hay their moms and others are pulling off the bale and the cow doesn't see them so they get stepped on.  He said the two he lost the first of this week were twins.  Somehow, during feeding, his hired hand just completely failed to see them.  Very easy thing to do with the cows moving around.

He told me our neighbor, Darwin, sent 150 head to the sale yesterday - in Ft. Smith.  Got rid of one whole herd.  He hasn't been able to feed cubes or grain because it's too muddy to get to the feeders.   It's so muddy out there - just awful.

Thank you, Sara, for your reply to my question of whether I should go see  Patsy.  What you said makes perfect sense.  Jack and I know what she wants and that's something that can't be done - right now.  She'd realize that if she was thinking right.  If I go I'll go by the florist and pick up her flowers so she'll have them tomorrow.  If it's rainy or looks like rain I won't be able to go because of the feed on the PU.  Wish I had my tax papers compiled so I could take them in but that's wishful thinking.

The GPs stayed outside again last night - in the building but they came in and are fast asleep again.  I woke up at 6 and while I was sitting in my chair having my juice, I began to try to doze off.  Maybe a  nap this afternoon would be in order.

Glad your snow is almost gone, Sara.  Spring will be here soon and you won't have to worry about that - then we'll worry about getting the grass cut.  There are huge buds on our maple trees.  We have lots of Bradford Pear trees along our driveway and Mike said they were budded.  So, it won't be long.  The daffodils have straightened up and the Jasmine is beautiful.  Daffodils are up everywhere and so are the Surprise Lillies or Naked Ladies.  Their foliage will die and in late July or August the flower stalks will come up and there will be beautiful, pink, lilly-like blooms.  Ours are all pink but there are red ones.  Not sure about other colors.

Time for Mr. Barclee to get up so I'll stop and take care of that.  Enjoy your Sunday.

Jo C.
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2020 12:35 PM

As I got to thinking, Lorita; I wondered if Patsy feels she needs or senses she needs someone to come to her assistance in more ways than one.   I recall in the past, she did not always feel Jack took care of things as much  as she could and she took over.   She cannot do that for herself now.  She may well sense that things are not right and she is turning to you rather than Jack.

I wonder if she wants someone to be her advocate; she trusts you, and that is understandable.  Even though you would have to talk to her and tell her "Rehab" is her best next step, if you did visit, then you could explain to the Nursing Supervisor (or  the doctor if he/she was there), that this is not the usual cognitive or psychological state for Patsy, and that it would be far best if they did some assessment into what specifically is causing the changes.  It would not be good for them to kiss it off to dementia without doing the "rule out" diagnostics to see what this may be caused by.

Of course, her labs may be off or there may be other causes, but one must also think about hospital induced delirium which can be small changes to significant delirious states or combinations thereof.  She needs to be taken seriously by her MDs and so hope this either is in process or will be done.

It is lovely of you to think of flowers for her if you decide to make the visit.

J.

Lorita
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2020 2:02 PM

Hi Jo,

I most likely will go see Patsy tomorrow.  I just talked with her nurse to see how things were.  She said she's about the same - ate a little breakfast but that's all.  The PICC line is still in - no nutrients through it.  They did some labwork yesterday and her red count was down a little so they gave her a unit of blood last night and plan to give another today.  They did a test on the stool and there was no blood so don't where she's losing blood. 

The nurse told me rehab is not involved at this time so evidently she's not strong enough. I did ask her if they were considering having someone assess her mental state since she is not at all like she usually is.  She said she'd talk to her primary doctor about it.

The nurse told me she has company right now - her hairdresser is doing her hair. That will make her feel better.  She knows and trusts her - been going to her for years and she says she's the only one who can fix her hair to kind of hide her thinning spots.  I don't know how she got in contact with her - maybe Jack called her yesterday. I do know that Carrie has told her she'd even come to Patsy's house to do her hair when she was ill a few months ago.

If it's not raining tomorrow, I'll go see her and see how things are.  I hadn't thought of her thinking that Jack might not be taking care of things and that could be one thing she wanted to talk about with me.  She told me once that if anything happened to her Jack had told her he wouldn't pay bills - he'd just throw them away and not take care of them.  She'd be proud of what he's done - if he told her.

I'm doing nothing today - just sitting here. I'd like to lay down on the divan and take a nap but it's occupied by the three cats - Stormy can't even get onto it.

Guess I need to get the trash together - didn't take it down last Monday.  There's not much so may not do it tomorrow.  I will have to get the 32 feed sacks out of the back of the PU but if I start it now, the girls will think I'm going to feed them.  They have the sound of the PU and the Gator down pat so when either of them start in the afternoon, here they come.

Thanks, Jo.  I really hadn't thought that maybe that's why she wanted to talk with me.  See how much help you all are!  Did you notice we had over 8,000 reads of our thread the last 15 days?

Lorita
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2020 10:08 PM

Hope everyone has a good weekend and things went well.  Just wanted to say good night.  Sleep well.

Sayra
Posted: Monday, February 17, 2020 5:37 AM

Hope you got a good nights rest
Lorita
Posted: Monday, February 17, 2020 8:37 AM

Morning,

I did, thank you, Sara.  Hope you did, too.

Not feeling on top of the world this morning.  Back hurts and have a headache.  Maybe I'll feel better later.  If not, will wait a day or so before I go see Patsy.  Sure don't want to take anything in to her .  I put that stinking box in a trash bag this morning - didn't touch it.

sent flowers to P atsy- to be delivered this morning.  I'll talk with her if I don't go.  Called Steve about barn light. He'll fix it today or tomorrow.  Warned him about the mud.  He says he does his boots with him all the time.

I'm watching a big cow who walked over to the other side of the pond.  Laying down now.  I think   I know which one she is.  If so, she has a hurt foot - too much mud or stepped in a hole.  Almost everyone was gone by the time I looked out the window.

Mr. Barcle e is already up and had had his breakfast.  GPs stayed out last night. It's already 60 this morning.

Back later.

Jo C.
Posted: Monday, February 17, 2020 9:56 AM

Sorry to hear about your back and headache, Lorita.   Hope it has gone by now.   If you do go to see Patsy, I would suggest going to her units supervising RN and reiterating the need for her physician to check her out for reason she has changes in cognition, etc.  She may have an as yet undiagnosed reason for that; best to not let them "assume" rather than checking out all other causes first.

The ocean here in SoCal was beautiful yesterday.  Surf was low, sand clean, not too many people there as it was pretty cool; that is my favorite time to go.   Lovely boats in the distance including some tankers in the far distance that had either already gone into port to unload or were on their way.  Catalina Island very visible in the distance; just as peaceful as could be and it smelled that wonderful ocean smell of salt water, sea weed and sand.  Gulls playing on the air currents and squacking at one another.   Just lovely.

Wonder how our cobber friends are doing down under in Australia; I have not heard any more about the post-fire flooding in their country; so hope that has improved. 

Son is still doing a bit better with improvements, but still requiring much care and monitoring; he is to be started on another immune suppresant drug this week, so one more hurdle re side effects and infection risk.   He is pretty motivated, but is getting antsy having to be at home in the house; he has always been a go-go-goer and doer, he loves being busy; that is his basic personality.  Gets a lot done on the house and yard and gives it his all at work.  Suddenly, he is at a complete stand-still.  The spirit is willing; but the body definitely saying "no."  Sometimes it is very difficult for him to be sick as he never had anything worse than a cold in his entire life and this has no actual "cause."  He is very fit and healthy; eats well and exercises, but it hit him anyway . . . ANCA Vasculitis just came out of nowhere.  Boom!  Thank you everyone for prayers for David, it truly is appreciated.

Spoke to my granddaughter who is at university working on her Masters in Psychology on her way to a PhD.   She is doing well, and has bought herself a bunny with floppy ears and long fur.  She texted me some photos, he is adorable.  He has a large cage hutch, for when she is gone to school and at night; he is being "potty trained" to use a cat litter box and loves his food and daily salad.  He is pretty cuddly, so she is really enjoying him and caring for him. A nice respite from all the studying and papers.  Hope bunnies live a long time when well cared for; she is really loving that little creature.

Got our taxes done and also voted for the primary.   Don't know which was more painful!

Still doing some nighttime reading; need to find some more good authors, I go through books rather fast.  I do not intend to,  but I have always been a fast reader.  When a kid, I used to go to the children's library and check out five books a week.  I would try to read more slowly as it was a lo-o-o-ong walk to the library; but I would read at night in bed and go through them far too fast.   I think Sandymac and I have similar reading tastes and of course, I like the suspense, mystery, and detective novels that are well written too.  Sandy enjoyed Maeve Binchey; wonder if she has also read the Rosamund Pilcher books too; she is a great writer in Scotland.  Wonderful books.

Sure wish the automatic robotic vacuum cleaners weren't so pricey; it may be nice to have one if they worked well.  I wonder if they do a good job of it; I have never seen one in process.  Any of you have one?  They range from the $200 dollar range to the $500 range.  Sure hope at that price that they do the job and do not get hung up on chair legs.  Of course; they cannot do the stairs, but what the heck.  I think that Consumer Reports did an evaluation of them a few months back.

Gosh; I was thinking.  Every one of us here is either in the process of caregiving or have lost a LO or multiple LOs to dementia.   So much history here and cumulative years of hands on care.   Lovely ongoing Thread, Lorita, thank you for keeping it going.  I have always said, it is like a good friend saying, "Come in in; take off your shoes, sit down and rest a spell."  Very good place to find oneself.

Hope it is a good day for one and all,

J.

Rescue mom
Posted: Monday, February 17, 2020 10:20 AM

Jo, two things about your post. The first re Catalina etc. brought back a fun memory....DH and I were staying at an ocean-front golf course resort near San Diego. (Torrey Pines I think). Our first visit to Southern Calif. We got there and thought we’d walk across the golf course to the beach, like we do here on the east coast.  We walked and walked toward the ocean, which we could see ahead beyond the course.

How silly did we feel when we got there—there was a 200 foot cliff down to the water!! No way could we walk to beach. We just expected we would stroll straight to the waters edge, like the flat beaches here....talk about tourists. Duh! We laughed about that for years.

Robot roomba-type vacuums. Several friends have them and LOVE them, say best “treat” ever. But they also have large, open room spaces, and tell me it probably would not work so well in my house, which is pretty small (for just 2 people) and over-filled with furniture. But everyone I know who has one loves it, says it’s definitely worth it.

Lorita
Posted: Monday, February 17, 2020 11:22 AM

Hi again,

Jo, I've also wondered about those robotic vacuums.  I doubt very seriously they would work in our house either.  It is not an open concept since it's over 100 years old.  Also doubt it would work well with the tufts of white hair from the GPs.  But, if it did, it would be wonderful.

The ocean sounds so lovely.  I would love to see an ocean but that's not to be.  Will have to stick with ponds and a big lake.  I can't for the life of me imagine how a big ship can stay afloat.  I know it has to do with volume replacement but don't know how that works or how an airplane can stay up either.  Too complicated for me.

Thanks, my headache is a bit better but it feels like a knife or screwdriver is sticking in my back.  It's the costochondritis that has gone through to my back.  I have it against a heating pad now so maybe it'll be better before long.  I don't remember what I did yesterday to make it hurt but I do remember that spot in my chest was hurting last night.  That spot hurts, then the pain goes straight through to  my back in a spot about the size of a silver dollar.  Also have developed a slight stomach bug so guess it was good I didn't go see her.  I did call and talk with her.  She sounds so much better than she did two days ago.  I didn't detect any confusion this morning.  I asked if she could tell me what she wanted to talk about on the phone but she said "not really".  We talked several minutes.  She said she was eating better.  I've mentioned it to Jack and did to her this morning asking if he brought her a Frosty (Wendy's is closeby) and a hamburger, could she eat it.  She said she thought so but Jack wouldn't do it - said it couldn't be done.  She said the food there is awful.  When I go I'll pick up a Frosty and see if she can eat/drink that.  

She also said Jack was being obstinate and she didn't know why.  Again told me the caseworker told her she had to go to a NH and asked me if they could keep her from her home.  I told her they were probably talking about a skilled rehab center to help her gain enough strength so she could get around at home, either with a walker or even a wheelchair and that it would probably be only two or three weeks.  Hope that helped her.  She says she feels so alone.  Her friend, the beautician, she said is coming back today since she's not open on Mondays.

Tried to call Jack but there was no answer.  She said he had the phone so messed up she can't get in contact with him.

It's supposed to be rainy Wednesday so I'll go tomorrow and wear a mask so we won't exchange germs. 

Lucky you, Jo, to have your taxes done.  I wish I had mine compiled so I could take it in but don't and don't feel like doing it now. 

I can only imagine how hard it is for your son to not be able to get up and do the things he's used to doing.  When I  feel down it helps me to get outside and do some work and be with the girls and dogs so I know your son will be so happy when he can do his usual things.  If he hadn't been in such good health just imagine how much worse he might have been.  Seems there's all kinds of things lurking out there ready to pounce on us.  Scary thought.

I know how proud you must be of your granddaughter - sounds like such a smart, young lady.  And a rabbit with floppy ears!  I've never seen a live one, just on TV, but they're beautiful.  Interesting that the last time I talked with my sister she told me she had a floppy-eared rabbit - can't remember it's name.  She was really taken with it.  I told Sarah and she said they have one or two at the MCC for the residents.  I used to play with baby rabbits that daddy would bring to the house that he'd find when he was working in the fields.  I don't see many rabbits anymore but just remembered I saw one in the yard a couple of weeks ago.  Don't know how it got in but hope it got out before the GPs saw it.

This morning I opened the front door and Lilly (the new female cat) got out on the porch.  It's mostly enclosed, waist high, and she couldn't get out so I was able to catch her and bring her back.  This is the second time has happened.  If she got out into the yard the GPs would kill her - they don't allow anything else in the yard - so I'll have to be more careful.  Max is bothering her and she probably wanted to get away from him.

Rescue Mom - all that walking and still not able to get down to the water.  But, at least you got some good exercise and got to see the water. 

Going to stop and rest and try to get rid of this backache - have to feed the girls this afternoon.  It's warm but cloudy this morning.

Sayra
Posted: Monday, February 17, 2020 2:29 PM

Lorita I slept well last night.  Most of the time I do and am very thankful for that.

JoC glad you got to enjoy the beautiful ocean for a bit.  There is a you tube  channel Bob and Brad.  They are two physical therapist and I have ran across some helpful things on there.  They mentioned a Renpho foot massager on there that had helped some people who have neuropathy.  Sure it may not be helpful or even tolerable with David in his acute state but if becomes a chronic state for him might be something that would help.  Know a lot of people suffer with this.  You can see a lot of reviews on Amazon on this product.  They are not affiliated with the company.

Wish I lived near your granddaughter.  I would love to have her rabbit manure for my garden.  It is one of the best ones.  I do not know any rabbit owners.

I have wondered about those robotic vacuum cleaners too. 

Take care

jfkoc
Posted: Monday, February 17, 2020 2:48 PM

JO...I checked around here...Sherman Williams has N-95 masks. I can send some to your son.
jfkoc
Posted: Monday, February 17, 2020 2:53 PM

Lorita...proper use of masks...you probaly know all of this;

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/when-and-how-to-use-masks

Lorita
Posted: Monday, February 17, 2020 4:28 PM

Judith/ Jo,

Looks like Amazon also had the N95 masks.  Judith, I knew most of those things but not about not touching the front of the mask.  I am guilty of that because it's hard to breathe when you have them on.  My doctor says it's hard for him, too.

I ordered some black, cloth-like ones last year-they were made in China so didn't wear them.I

Got the girls fed.  Only wore my fleece jacket and still got hot.  It's beautiful and sunny. This will make the grass grow for sure.  Figured out I will only need to feed the girls 30 more times this spring.

Talked to Sarah. She goes for her pre-op labs tomorrow.

Going to stop and shampoo my hair.

telinde
Posted: Monday, February 17, 2020 4:32 PM

Hi all.  My daughter has a Rumba vacuum and loves it.  She also has kids and two dogs.  It does a great job on hardwood and tile floors, gets into corners, and even works on flat nap rugs.  The only drawback is you have to make sure everything is off the floor (books, magazines, hair brushes and the like).  If not, it can get stuck on these things and stop.  In houses with lots of rooms, you clean one room and move it to the next.  My daughter can vacuum her large kitchen, hall and large living room, and still have battery power.  She says it is worth the price.

Yea, the last big storm missed us.  It hit south of us, so we just had cloudy days and a dusting of snow.  The daytime temps have been up in the 40’s, and slowly melting the mounds of snow here.  The yard is still covered in feet of snow.  It should be nice and green when Spring gets here.

I’m also getting tax info gathered for my accountant.  Not a bad job, just have to get it together and organized.  I’m catching up laundry today.  Not sure how I got so much dirty this week, but I did.  I look back and wonder how I worked and kept up with a job, husband and 4 kids.  I guess everyone pitched in and we got it done.  

Jo, your seaside trip sounds so peaceful.  I could smell the water and seaweed, and hear the sounds.  Thanks for the get-away for a land locked, winter wonderland friend.  So happy your son is making progress in his recovery.   

Lorita, good to hear Patsy could talk to you.  Maybe she’ll pull through this and be home soon.  Sure hope you’re feeling better this afternoon.

Anne, I bet you like your new home, and look forward to a one level in the future.  Sorry you had to move, but sounds like you’re in a great place.  Take care and enjoy life.

Sara, I’ve made strawberry pies and they are good.  I also like to freeze them and put them in chocolate protein shakes in the blender.  The two flavors are great together.

Nothing grand going on here today.  Hi to all and hope you’re all well and having a good day.  Joan

Lorita
Posted: Monday, February 17, 2020 7:28 PM

Several feet of snow, Joan?   My goodness - I can't imagine that.  When I was growing up we had big snows but not now.  For us, if we get 5" things close down - schools, Church, almost everything and the wrecks are awful.  But, glad the storm missed you.

You've had lots of snow like we've had lots of rain so green grass is in the offing. In fact, our east and south yard are as green as they are in the summer.  I was filling a water tank out by the garden yesterday and there was some garlic growing inside the yard fence.  You know the adage "grass is always greener on the other side" - well,  a young calf (not a baby) was trying to get her tongue through the fence to get it.  I thought it was grass at first and was going to pull it up and give it to her, then realized it was garlic - so didn't.  Daddy planted that garlic out there many years ago.  I've never used any of it but I should.

It was good to talk with Patsy. We have sort of the same work history - I worked in a hospital all my career and she worked in hospitals and doctor's office - that, plus being first cousins combine to make us a bit alike.  We're only seven months apart in age and when we were two or three, we could have been twins.  I'm anxious to see her tomorrow.  She sounded good today.  I hope she can recover and go back home before too awfully long.  She and Jack have never been apart much in their married life so I know he's so very lonesome without her.  Thank goodness for Zelda to keep him company.

Got my hair shampooed and dried.  It's as straight as a string after blowdrying.  I've never learned how to use a curling iron so that's the way it is.  I wish I could manage to cut it straight across in the back but can't.  Years ago, probably early 60s the fad was to iron your hair.  Mine was very long so it wasn't hard to do.  Just imagine how hard that was on our hair.  If mine was shorter, there would be a wave in it - maybe this summer..

It's been a beautiful, spring-like day - temperature was 70 in Tulsa so probably warmer down here.  Tomorrow it's supposed to be near 50 but cold in the morning.  The sun and wind has helped dry the ground some.  I thought I could feed out of the PU and did.  I go down hill a little bit by two feeders, then kind of uphill by the others.  So, going back uphill the PU wheels really dug up the ground - but I made it.  I didn't drive it over to the other gate to open to let the girls through - walked instead.

Joan, it really isn't hard to get all the information together to get taxes done.  It's just getting started that's hard.  I keep a notebook where I write down expenses I can exempt along with the receipts paperclipped to the back of the page. So, I go through those, then through checkbook registers and finally through the bank statements so I don't miss anything.  Then add up everything and write it so Sam can read it.  May take 2-3 hours.  I can't leave all those papers out though because the cats would make hash out of them.

I'll stop for now - sleep well.

Lorita
Posted: Monday, February 17, 2020 10:20 PM

Hi,

Just a short note before I get ready for bed. My costo really was hurting this morning but I leaned against the heating pad for a couple of hours and that with an acetaminophen got rid of the pain.  I guess I lifted too much. Headache is gone so I'm okay.  Thank you all for your concern.

I also love this thread, Jo, It's like a visit with friends when I come here.  Who would have thought that 12 years ago when I first started the thread it would have lasted this long.  I was so in need of advice and information with no one to talk with about what has begun to happen to Charles.  Everyone was so kind and helpful and ready to answer any and all of my questions.  Many of us have been here that long or longer-I'm thinking of Judith- she was on he forum before I. We've met people with whom we'll always have a bond formed because of dementia.  It is a safe place to come and visit with friends.  New posters are always welcome and will become a part of our family.

Rest well tonight.

ronald71111
Posted: Tuesday, February 18, 2020 11:00 AM

Made bacon, eggs, biscuits and potato gravy this morning! Trouble swallowing still a problem and wish all if you were here to help eat. 

Pulmonary Dr. wanted CT scan from VA and I go back to him Friday. PH Probe monitoring is one week from Wednesday, if nothing else happens. 

Ron

Lorita
Posted: Tuesday, February 18, 2020 3:36 PM

Hi,

Ron, your breakfast sounds delicious.  So sorry you're still having trouble swallowing - I hope they find out what's wrong fix it.  Does Lou eat well?   It's always distressing to me when someone doesn't eat like I think they should.  My grandma always thought if you would eat, you'd get better.  Breakfast was always the favorite meal for Charles and I to eat out. 

So - I'm familiar with white, brown, red-eye, pepper and chocolate gravies.  But I don't know what potato gravy is?  To me it would mean you fried potatoes and used the grease from them to make gravy.  Sounds interesting.  I haven't eaten any kind of gravy in probably 30-40 years - but I used to love it.  I can still taste the chocolate gravy with a little butter melted in it and broken up biscuits drenched in it.  This was mostly for supper for us.

I hope things go well this time and you can get this test over with.  It's been a long time waiting.

It's sunny - sun came out about 11 but it's cold and very windy.  Steve came to fix the light at the barn - bulb was burned out.  He had one but it was the wrong size bottom.  He was going to Muskogee for another  job and said he'd get one and bring it back.   So, after he left I left to go see Patsy.

I stopped by Braum's and got her a couple of dips of sugar-free vanilla ice cream.  When I got there her noon meal was there.  She didn't eat one bite of it - she had mashed potatoes and gravy and some green something - I think it was pureed peas and something else.  She said it tasted awful - no seasoning.  She ate two or three bites of the ice cream and drank most of her iced tea.  When they took it away, they left her pudding - maybe she'll eat it and the ice cream later.

Spent probably over an hour visiting with her.  She said they came yesterday to do PT but she felt woozy so they didn't do it.  I kept stressing to her that she had to eat to get stronger and do therapy so she could at least transfer from bed or chair to w/c.  She did say the dietitian came by this morning and they're going to change her diet to a "chopped" diet she called it.  She says her throat isn't sore but she is developing a decubitus ulcer.  When they came in to treat it, I left.  We had the talk she was wanting to have - concerned that Jack seemed different to her - didn't want to do what she wanted him to, and a few other things.  I told her Jack was completely devoted to her and not to worry about that at all.  She said he didn't come yesterday or didn't come today but she had talked with him.  She was concerned that he hadn't called her telephone friends to let them know where she is - or her one living aunt.  Jack will not talk on the phone unless he's forced so I told her that and she agreed.  Also did mention that the trip was a little hard on him because it is 60 miles round trip, the highway isn't that good and there's lots of traffic plus the fact he can't see too well.  I hope I eased her mind a bit.

She had received her flowers and thought they were pretty.  They had to be placed all the way across the room - not too close for her to see them well but I couldn't find another place for them.  They were mostly purples - probably should have sent brighter colors but it was a pretty arrangement of daisies and other little flowers in a white basket.

I did wear my mask and used wipes and simply saline when I got back to the PU. I also put my coat and pants in the washer when I got home.  I didn't hear one cough or sneeze.  Kind of funny to me - I worked in a hospital over 33 years and was never concerned about catching anything.  Did get a terrible case of the flu and some colds while there but that was probably from an employee.  We did have one medical secretary that would imagine she had whatever a new patient had.

The girls heard the PU when I got home and they're gathered out front - trying to convince me it's feeding day.  I went out and told them "not today - tomorrow".  They'll wait around a while and go off to graze.  Stormy met me at the back gate, so happy I was home.  I went out on the front porch and Sheena was laying in the yard on her back with all four feet up in the air - she and Stormy were playing - they like the colder weather.

FedEx delivered dog food and milk bones while I was gone so everyone has feed for a few days.  Glad the trip's made and I got to visit with Patsy.  She again told me that the case manager came in a couple of days ago and told her she'd never go home and it was time to select a NH.  I can't believe she told her that - our social workers would never have done that so early in their care.  She doesn't think she'll ever get out of the hospital - did all I could to help her feel better about eating to gain strength and to do her PT.

I'll call Jack later.  She has a nice TV but I doubt she feels like watching it.  I haven't talked with Sarah today - she was going to get her pre-op bloodwork today and they were going to measure her for her knee brace so she's been busy.

Hope all of you are well today.  Jack just called to thank me for the flowers - said he was there when they were delivered.  He said he's been in bed all day - not feeling too bad but just so much going through his head.  I feel sorry for both of them - so unhappy to be apart and nothing that can be done about it now.

Sandymac
Posted: Tuesday, February 18, 2020 4:09 PM

Just a very quick check in.... since the big rains/floods I haven’t had a landline and so no internet, so haven’t been able to get on.  Just doing a quick hotspot from my phone, but as I don’t have much data on it can’t use it too much.  Everything is green again, fires are out (or pretty much so) and flood waters have receded.......now for the clean ups and trying to get all the money that’s been donated to where it is needed.  As usual people are being made to jump through hoops, fill out reams of paper and dot all the i's and cross the t's.   There have been millions of dollars donated world wide, but because of bad management it often doesn’t go to the people it’s meant for.   

Jo, love your description of the ocean view...how I love the water

Cheers.  Sandra

Lorita
Posted: Tuesday, February 18, 2020 7:31 PM

Sandra, after so long it's good to hear some good news from down under.  I hope the rest of the fires are out soon.  Cleanup after fires and floods takes a long time.  Our State has awful floods  this past year and they're still working on getting things back together.

Hope you get your power and internet back soon.

ladyzetta
Posted: Tuesday, February 18, 2020 10:50 PM

Hi All,

I am so glad I finally got back home I now have internet access so  I can now get caught up on things.

Ron,   Your breakfast sounds so good I wish I was there I love eggs, bacon, biscuits & gravy. You made me hungry so I plan on fixing biscuits and gravy in the morning.

Lorita,   I am sorry that they told Patsy she would never be going home, it is hard to think they would have told her that. It seems like a cruel thing to say and a hard thing to hear especially when she has had some improvement. 

Sandra,  I am glad to hear that your fires are finally out, hopefully they will get the rest of them under control. I am sure that is a scary thing. I also worry about fires in my area during the summer. I live next to a forest and it gets very dry during the summer and we have had a few scares. 

Jo,   I know what Hospital you were taking about it is St. Charles my Doctors office is right across the street from the Hospital. You talking about the ocean brings back a lot of good memories to me I grew up along the California Coast, I spent a lot of time in Bodega Bay and Jenner. Jenner is at the mouth of the Russian River. My Grandparents owned the Resort there. I spent a lot of summers there waiting tables. I love the ocean. 

Hugs to all of you, Zetta 

Lorita
Posted: Wednesday, February 19, 2020 7:38 AM

Morning,

Bet you are glad to be home.  No place like home, is there, Zetta?

I watched part of a show yesterday about California and how we took it from Mexico- really interesting.  I've never been. My cousin lived there from the time she was about seven. She says it's so different now but I guess every place is.  I know it's different around here-used to be a lot more small farms- now a few people own most of the land. Progress? Maybe.

Zetta, we worry about prairie fires.  Most of the land is in pastures so there's lots of grass ( if we're lycky) and with our winds fires spread quickly.

It's a sunny morning- hardly any wind.  The last few Wednesdays have been cold and rainy. So glad I don't have to go anywhere today but really glad I got to visit and talk with Patsy yesterday.   She so reminds me of her daddy, my mother's brother.

I wish Jack would have a talk with that social worker but doubt he will- really not my place . Carol told me yesterday when she called that a person could only stay where Patsy is for three weeks- that used to be their policy but she isn't sure it's the same now. I may call and check that out.

I could see most of the girls as they got up this morning- mom's calling their babies to come to breakfast, then drifting off to graze. This is feed day so I need to close the gate and give them another mineral block. Need to move that feeder, too.

This tablet seems to have a mind of it's own.  I type something and it'll change it,  so if something doesn't make sense, I'm sorry.

Still thinking about chocolate gravy.  I remember I baked a tube of big biscuits a while back and have them frozen. My mother's chocolate gravy was made with water so isn't like thin pudding- so good. There used to be a little restaurant in town that had it on their menu but never tried it.

Better get going.  Back later.

Sayra
Posted: Wednesday, February 19, 2020 12:35 PM

Beautiful sunny day today.  Good to hear from you LadyZetta.  Had been wondering about you.  

Made a new stroganoff recipe today.  It was made with ground beef.  Tasted pretty good.

Lorita
Posted: Wednesday, February 19, 2020 5:14 PM

Hi,

Sara, glad to see your post - I had been wondering about you, too.  We used to make stroganoff and we also used ground beef.  Haven't had it in a long time.  We liked to have it with brown beans.  Of course, we ate brown beans with everything.

Glad you're having a sunny day - really makes a person feel better.  It's been sunny here all day until about an hour ago.  But, it's still cold - wind goes right through you.

Had a call from Jack a while ago, after he got home, to give me an update.  He sounds much better.  He said he stayed in bed all day yesterday, worrying.  Patsy's better - she's eating today after they changed her diet.  They called earlier, when he was with her, to get a phone number, and she said she had eaten a bowl of cream of wheat this morning.  I told her if she liked that, to tell them she wanted it at all meals.  So, maybe the change in diet will be good for her.  He also talked with the doctor and told him what the case manager had told Patsy.  He said that was all wrong - that Patsy had improved so very much and that she would be discharged on the 27th.  Not sure where yet - but probably, Jack said, to a rehab place, maybe in Muskogee. 

Jack told me to tell all of you that he thanks you a million times for the prayers and good thoughts for Patsy.    They've also taken her off some of her medications and he thinks that's why she seems better.  Maybe she'll gain enough strength so she can begin PT while she's at Cornerstone. 

So, good news from there.  Talked with Sarah - she had some vomiting today but had had a shower and was even interested in getting her hair done.  I asked if she could sit in the chair that long and she doubted it so maybe she'll wait until she recovers from the surgery.  She wants to get her eyes refracted so she can have some glasses while she's in the hospital.  Remember, a few months ago when she fell in the street her glasses were broken.  Maybe Todd can take her to one of those one-hour places.

Things are all right here.  Fed this afternoon and put up another cow.  Can't figure out what's going on with her so I'll talk with the vet later - I had her down to calve in September so she may have lost the baby.  She's not in distress.  Gave her some hay and she's standing, eating it.   Also got the barn light fixed this morning. Unbelievable how dark it is out toward the barn when it's not working.  We have two others but that one lights up the front of the barn and all the lot.  Really miss it when it's out.

I was able to feed out of the PU again today.  The sun and wind is drying up the mud in places.  Steve said he almost lost his boot when he was fixing the light - really muddy in front of the barn.  He said he understand that we've had the wettest winter here since 1921.  I can believe it.

Hope all of you are well today.  Daffodils are blooming - even have a couple of clumps of the tiny ones blooming.  I think they're so pretty.  When it gets dry enough I'll go up to the MH and pick some of the big ones up there. 

bunifoot
Posted: Wednesday, February 19, 2020 6:45 PM

Hello, I've been reading the posts.  I hope all the loved ones in the hospital keep making progress, prayers are with them.  On the 114 post there was a post about being in stage 8 and goals and dreams.  That has been going thru my minds for days now.  I know that I am just a little over a month into stage 8, finally stopped crying last weekend.  At grief share and Bible study at the new church I attend, I was chalenged  to put in writing some goals.  I did.  Some are financial, some organizational, some downsizing and 1 maybe go back to work parttime to acomplish  some of those goal.  Right now the goal is to sleep at night, wake up in the morning and eat 2xs a day, like on a regular schedule like a normal person.  Next is exercise either at home or the free gym membership to get moving and feeling better so othe goals like working for a living can be acheived.  This stage 8 knocked me for a loop.  So, that's my thoughts on goals, dreams might come later.  Thanks for listening.  Please excuse tpos, mispelling.....lol i mispelled typo. 

Julie

Lorita
Posted: Wednesday, February 19, 2020 7:26 PM

Hi Julie,

Glad you posted.  Sounds like you're getting things under control.  I think it's important to have some kind of goal or goals- just something to plan for.

I'm into my 6 th year of stage 8 and I still cry often- just a thought or sound or something I see on TV.  Don't be discouraged if it happens to you.  I think the grieving period lasts a long time-maybe forever.  I've seen that with a woman I worked with.

Getting out with people, exercising and eating right are all important. I've also found that being on this forum and sharing my ups and downs have helped me.  So, come back often.  Someone is always here. 

Thank you, Julie, for the prayers.  They mean a lot.

Lorita
Posted: Wednesday, February 19, 2020 9:05 PM

Okay - new problem as if that isn't the norm for here.

I put the cow in the corral, talked to the vet and decided I'd watch her during the night.  I looked out just before dark and thought everything looked okay.  I went out about an hour ago and the gate was open and she was gone!  The gates to the west meadow and to the lane down to the road were both open.  Had no idea which way she had gone so drove down as far as I could and looked for bright eyes - didn't see any so drove up by the hayrings.  There's a fence between that pasture and the west meadow.  I saw her eyes!  She was just across the fence in the west meadow fairly close to the gate.  I couldn't get her to come to the gate so I could open it and get her through - lots of big weeds and limbs in the way.  She'll be okay if she stays there during the night because the other cows are close by. 

When I looked out before dark I could see the chain used to close the gate (or thought I did).  Either I didn't chain it or didn't chain it good enough and she was able to push it open.  Vet said he couldn't be for sure but since I had her down to calve in September she may have lost the calf.  It would have been so small she wouldn't have know it.  Just hope she's okay in the morning.   If it's not one thing it's three others. 

Kind of scary out there in the dark with so many things roaming around - didn't see anything except cows though.  I had feed in the back of the Gator so couldn't stay too long or they'd have gotten into it.

Sayra
Posted: Wednesday, February 19, 2020 9:14 PM

Nice to hear from you Julie.  We are hear to listen and try and help one another.

Good night everyone

Lorita
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2020 9:05 AM

Morning,

I feel like I've done a day's work already.  I worried about the cow all night even though I knew she would bed down close to the others.  Wolves stay back west of there.  So, woke up early, worrying.  Got out early (it's cold out there) and thought I'd have to try to get her through the gate so waited until most of the girls had drifted off.  Walked out through the garden and she was down from the gate.  I managed to get through the barbed wire fence without getting caught (all the time I was getting through I  kept thinking of my mother getting caught in a barbed wire fence she was trying to get through 25 years ago).  I got through all right and we started back to the house.  She knew exactly where we were going - you couldn't even see the gate from where we were but she walked around the pond and back around toward the house, through the gate and straight to the lot and through that gate.  I was bushed - there's tall grass out there and I was bundled up.

I came back in and rested a bit and fed the cats, then decided I'd better check the back gate of the lot (didn't want her to get out again) so as I was walking out there Mike called to say he was on his way to put out some hay.  Thought I saw him on the county line but it was his hired hand - he was behind him. They'd been feeding since 6 a.m.  We sat out three bales which will do them about a week.  They had drifted off to graze but headed back when they saw the fresh hay (they weren't out).  After he put out the third bale he stopped and looked at the cow.  He thinks she's aborted the calf and what I was seeing is a little bit of after-birth (I thought it was but wanted to be sure).  He said maybe another cow had hit her in the side and caused the abortion.  She's in good shape so he said she'd be okay.  I'll leave her up a couple of days and watch to be sure.    Glad all of that's done.

Hope everyone's okay today and staying warm.  We didn't have any rain here or any snow but they did up in Kansas.  I was looking at the daffodils when I was out this morning - several are blooming and others are loaded with big buds.  I think they're my favorite flower.

Going to try for a nap today!

Sayra
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2020 9:47 AM

Daffodils are so pretty.  My blades are not even up yet.
bunifoot
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2020 10:13 AM

Good morning!  I got all of 4 hrs of sleep in a row last night.  Had to be up before 9am for social security phone call.   Temp is 9 degrees feels like 2.  Trying to decide if a nap or breakfast then get busy so I might get to sleep tonight.  Got about 1/2 inch of snow and bright artic sunshine.  Not much getting done outside with the cold and frozen ground, maybe this spring I'll plant some seeds and then watch them 'shoosting ' up to the sky.  I haven't had time to plant a garden since we moved to Nebraska. I have a garden plan from when i lived in Ohio wonder if it will work out here.  Anyways I hope everyone has a great day.

Julie

ladyzetta
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2020 5:15 PM

Hi All.

Julie,    Hi,  I have talked to you in chat a few times. I am glad to see you here just like me you will find a lot of caring people here. I am also in stage 8 and have been for almost 2 years. I keep real busy and at times I still think Dan is in MC or in the car with me. Sounds strange but its helping me deal with state 8. 

Lorita,   It scares me to think of you out wandering around at night, I guess you are used to it and prepared for what could happen. I am sure you must always be waring your alarm button. I am thinking about getting one of those. Where did you get yours? I m not sure where is the best place to get one. 

Sayra,   Thank You for wondering about me. I wonder about you all when I don't have internet to check on things. I do pet sitting and there are a few homes I stay at that have no internet access or very limited access so I don't even take my computer with me. Then it takes me a few days to get caught up on things.

Best Wishes for a good evening to all of you. Hugs Zetta 

Lorita
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2020 6:47 PM

Hi,

I'll try again - got one paragraph typed and lost it.  I was just talking about how cold the north wind is - the sun is nice and I sat in it a while during the time I was filling the water tanks.  Also went out and gave Gray Lady some more hay.  She's bawling - wants out with the others and I'll probably let  her out tomorrow.

It's about 40 but the north wind has the WC down to about 20.  Supposed to be 20 in the morning with a lower WC but warmer during the day and on Saturday.  Think it's supposed to rain Sunday.

I've talked with Sarah - Todd plans on taking her tomorrow to get some new glasses so she'll have them while she's in the hospital recovering from her surgery.

Talked with Patsy a couple of times.  She called twice to get phone numbers - I look them up on the tablet for her.  The last time she called she asked if I'd bring her a piece of cornbread with butter when I go to see her next.  She says the food there is awful so guess she thinks she can eat cornbread.  I don't think Jack went to see her today.

Julie - you're a couple of states north of us so I know how cold you must be.  Our weatherman is from Nebraska, around Omaha I think, and he talks about how cold the weather is for his parents.  I imagine the land is good in Nebraska so your seeds should do well.  How long have you lived in Nebraska?

Zetta - while I was out last night in the dark looking for Gray Lady I thought about wild hogs (they're everywhere in Oklahoma).  So far I haven't seen any here on our farm but I saw them straight east of us, about a quarter mile, last fall, probably a dozen or so.  I have seen a place or two where they've rooted and gotten rid of the grass in our pastures.  The son of my good neighbor has killed dozens of them on their ranch - some weighing as much as 500 lb.  The man who works for our vet has been run up on the bed of his truck a couple of times by the hogs while he was feeding.  I've often thought I should carry a gun with me when I'm out in the pastures but haven't yet.  I do wear my pendant most of the time (I think I had it in my pocket last night).  I'm trying to remember to wear it.

I have a Medical Guardian pendant.  I looked at all kinds of them before I got this one.  One day I was browsing and Medical Guardian popped up so I went with it.  I'm on my third one - for some reason after quite a long time the others quit working and when it does, they send you a new one and you have to return the old one.  I read on the return papers that if you don't return it within a certain number of days you're charged $300+. 

The vet's father passed away a few months ago and they got one for his mother.  They also looked at all kinds -  he asked what mine was and they checked it and found it cost less than the others - about $160 every quarter.  You don't buy the equipment or pay for the activation.  You can opt to have fall detection (I do have that) and it works well with an answer from them within ten seconds.  One funny thing - several months ago mine was making a funny noise when I put it in the charger (didn't pay much attention) - then my phone rang (didn't answer it because I didn't recognize the number).  Went on to bed and to sleep and an hour or so later I was awakened by someone shining a light in the bedroom window, calling my name.  It was the Deputy Sheriff along with an ambulance.  Medical Guardian had notified them and they came to check on me.  Scared the heck out of me - but guess it shows it really works.  Good luck with your decision.  It does make you feel more secure.

Did laundry today and have it already folded and put away - amazing how little I have now that I live alone, mostly furniture covers and towels.

Judith - I like the 700 watt microwave except for one thing; today I was going to cook one of those little frozen fruit pies.  The directions said not to bake it in a microwave with fewer than 1100 watts so used the NuWave oven - didn't like the results too well so guess I'll bake the ones I have in the oven, then freeze them and warm them in the microwave. 

Better stop and get Sheena in - I'm sure she's in the storage building.  Stormy came in and is having his supper.  Stay warm tonight.  At 5:45 I realized that it was still light outside - hasn't been long ago when it was dark just after 5 - so spring is on it's way.  I think the time changes back next month.  Need to check on that.  Sarah, if I can get up to the MH I'll take a picture of the daffodils up there and post it.  We dug them up somewhere and planted them and they've spread.  I've moved lots of them down here but the bulbs are so deep it's hard to do now.  Anyway, they're coming up in different places down here.  Guess the dogs either dig some bulbs up or the moles and redposit them.  I wish I could find perfume that smells like they do.

Sayra
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2020 4:42 AM

Julie I like to try and garden too.  I live between Columbus  and Cleveland, Ohio.  If you know what your last frost date in spring is and your first frost date in fall just work your plan around that.  If you don’t have a feel for that google it.  I add about 2 weeks to what they say as feel that is more safe.  Keep an eye on extended forecast.  Last year I planted a little earlier because was very warm spring.

Lorita
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2020 7:56 AM

Morning,

Sara, when do you sleep? Your posts are always so early.  If it says 4:45 am, is that our time or yours?

I bet you already have your seeds ready to go this spring or at least know what you'll order.  I saw something I wanted to order two or three months ago but forget what it was- maybe I saved the catalog.

It's 19 or 20 this morning- no wind and sunny.  Let the cow out, then drove up to see the girls- all look okay.  I couldn't find my binoculars so when I got back went out to the water tanks and they were there. There was ice on the water but two girls had come up to drink and they broke the ice.  Doing my work for me!

Yesterday when I was walking the cow back to the house we passed a place where there were several tufts of black hair - kind of worried me.  Later couldn't see both outside,black cats so was anxious to see them this morning.  They were both there, ready to eat.  So, the hair was from the little calf we lost.  Hate that.

Enjoy today and tomorrow- more rain Sunday.