HOW TO GET UP OFF THE FLOOR IF YOU FALL
Jo C.
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2019 8:57 AM

Just came across this detailed video and thought it may be of help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ETgQD8QhZs

J.

ruthmendez
Posted: Saturday, September 21, 2019 12:51 AM

So many living independently and alone.  My neighbor Charles (90 yrs old) lives alone and even I worry.  His daughters and ex wife live very close by and they're always visiting,, but still.  I do know one time he had a stroke (I think it was a stroke) and luckily his daughter, who lived in Florida at the time, had come to visit, looked through the window and found him lying down unable to get up.  She called 911 and somehow they were able to get in or she got a copy of the keys from her sister's or mom.  Very scary.

One time, in my home, I slipped over some water on slippery tile.  I was barefoot and walking quickly while carrying a case of water bottles. Klutzy me, I slipped, fell, and landed right down-SLAP onto my tailbone.  OO OO OOO, the most excruciating pain I've ever felt, and I became nauseous and dizzy, trembling from the intense pain.  I just leaned over my hip and stayed there  and I could NOT get up for a while.  Finally I raised up with some trouble, and that pain lasted for some time.  I think being short may have helped not getting more injured. 

If over 65, I doubt I would get up at all.  And I would have broken a bone.  

Jo C.
Posted: Saturday, September 21, 2019 12:03 PM

I was at my son's home. I walked across a tile entry floor that was wet in one spot from rain that I did not see; I had on knee high panty hose that slipped on the water, and DOWN I went. Flat, splat and hard!

Could not initially get up; sure hurt, thankfully two sons were there and they helped hoist me to my feet.  SO embarrassing.  Sigh.  Just glad I did not break anything.

Some years ago I was at the mall making a few purchases; I had my arms full of packages and hand bag on my shoulder; I was wearing leather soled shoes.  As I left the department store, I was walking across the mall's marble floor - I did not know this, but they had just waxed them the night before.  Well; my leather shoe soles slipped on the waxed tile, my feet flew from under me, my arms were full so I could not break my fall, and down I went with packages and handbag flying everywhere.

I was initially stunned and boy, did my knees and arms hurt; but guess what . . . . . lots of people walked right past and around me; not a single one stopped to see if I was okay, to see if I needed help or to help pick up packages.  Not a single person out of the bunch.  Got myself up off the floor, gathered and picked up my packages and limped off to the exit and my car.  Geeze. I cannot imagine not stopping to see if help was needed.

J.