RSS Feed Print
My person with dementia passed away yesterday
KawKaw
Posted: Tuesday, March 10, 2020 2:14 PM

My mother died yesterday afternoon after 24 hours on Comfort Care hospice in the hospital.

I spent her last 50 hours with her in the hospital.

She had declined rapidly and was hospitalized for head pain and weakness and not wanting to eat.

I chose hospice care after assessments by two doctors.  

She was still verbal and was very confused, frightened and in pain.  My sister or I were with her without a break from ERs of two hospitals, then admittance to the second hospital. 

After the comfort meds were started, she was pain and fear free through to the end.  We talked to her though she was not responsive.  People far away were able to call and we put the phone to her ear so they could say their goodbyes.  We talked to her of memories and recent family news.

It was fairly sudden, and I haven't had time to process it all yet.

I did not want her to die yet am grateful she is not suffering any more.

jfkoc
Posted: Tuesday, March 10, 2020 7:54 PM

It is always sad to "welcome" someone to what we call stage 8 but I do welcome you and hope you will find the kindness and support I have found here.
TessC
Posted: Wednesday, March 11, 2020 1:20 PM

I'm sorry for the loss of your dear mother. It is good that her last days were without fear and pain. I sincerely hope the coming days will go smoothly after all these hard and sad years of caring for your mother and that you will find comfort in knowing we care.
elainechem
Posted: Wednesday, March 11, 2020 5:15 PM

I am so sorry for your loss. Like you, I didn't want my husband to die, but I'm so grateful that he isn't suffering anymore.
KawKaw
Posted: Wednesday, March 11, 2020 10:43 PM

Stage 8 is an appropriate term.

Thank you for the welcome.  Though none of us wants to be here, it is the right place to be.
I appreciate the caring and support.  Thank you!

bunifoot
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2020 6:11 PM

i am so sorry for your loss.

KawKaw
Posted: Sunday, March 15, 2020 11:36 AM

Many thanks.  Anticipatory grief before her death doesn't seem to have diminished the grief upon her passing.

We are postponing our gathering to share stories about her until after the health crisis has passed.

Melby
Posted: Thursday, April 9, 2020 1:56 PM

What has helped you the most in trying to move one after the death of your care-recipient?  Are there things you would not recommend doing?  Where there any "helps" as you brought closure?
elainechem
Posted: Thursday, April 9, 2020 9:19 PM

I lost my husband of 32 years. To me, there is no "moving on" or "closure". The pain lessens over time. You learn to live with the sadness. You begin to feel joy at the happy memories. It's a process and it takes time. How much time is highly individual. I think that, if you're still feeling crushing grief after, say, six months or so, you should probably get some grief counseling. Join a support group for people who are grieving. There's a program that meets in churches called Grief Share. I went to one meeting before the virus forced it to stop. I don't know if I'll go back. My local Alzheimer's Association started a support group for those who are grieving last year. I went to one meeting before they had to stop. I'll definitely go back to that one when it starts up again. I already knew those people from the regular support group. Sadly, the number of people who may join that group has increased a bit. But you don't "get over" the loss of someone you loved dearly. You just adapt slowly and take it one day at a time.
Army_Vet60
Posted: Thursday, April 9, 2020 11:01 PM

Melby wrote:
What has helped you the most in trying to move one after the death of your care-recipient?  Are there things you would not recommend doing?  Where there any "helps" as you brought closure?
Melby,

I would recommend you not wait too long to get counseling if you are struggling.

I lost my wife last August.  Prior to her death, a Hospice nurse told me it takes a year to just begin to feel normal again after the LO dies. She recommended I go into Grief Counseling ASAP.

I blacked out three days the first week of her death. The third blackout really scared me and I got an emergency appointment with a Hospice Counselor. It took six months for me to start to come to terms with my wife's death. I'm still in therapy and learning something with each session.

That's what I'd recommend you not do - delay getting help if you feel you need it.

Skittles412
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 9:26 AM

Lots of love coming your way.  It's so hard to watch our loved ones go through this terrible disease.  You are very lucky to have been there in her last moments.  That is a treasure.  I lost my mom two years ago this June 6th and it still hurts very much.  It's a pain that just never goes away.  Be kind to yourself and reach out to any of us here if you need to talk.  Being isolated will help you mourn on your own terms but you will need to vent as well.  Take care kawkaw.

- xoxoxo Kat

star26
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2020 10:21 PM

KawKaw, I hope you will see this message since I am late in seeing this post. Well, I'm late because I didn't need to be on this forum until Thursday when my father unexpectedly passed away. I hadn't seen you post for a while on the regular caregivers forum and since you had mentioned previously that you were tending to your own medical concerns for a while, I was concerned. Now I know. I'm so sorry about your Mom.  I really understand your pain. I had always kept an eye out for your posts on the board because we had some similarities in our dementia caregiving challenges. And here we are, in the same boat together again. I hope some of the grief is being replaced by some peace and comfort. It doesn't feel like I can ever feel okay again but people say it will happen. I also hope I see you on these boards again because your posts were always so loving and helpful, both to me and others. Take Care.
dutiful deb
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2020 11:05 AM

KawKaw,

I am so sorry about your Mom. I wish you peace and comfort now and in the days to come.  There will be ups and downs, and I hope you continue to come here for comfort and support.  

TessC
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2020 10:34 PM

@star26 I am sorry for the sudden passing of your father. May he rest in peace and may you also begin to heal. Take care.
KawKaw
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2020 7:50 PM

Oh Star, I am so very sorry about your father passing.  Thank you for your kindness.  I feel deeply for your loss.  For both our loss.