RSS Feed Print
Father and Baby Hold Conversation
Jo C.
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2019 2:59 PM

This is sweet and funny;

https://www.10tv.com/article/father-and-19-month-old-son-warm-hearts-full-fledged-conversation-about-tv-show-2019-jun

J.

ruthmendez
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2019 10:52 PM

That's a fun dad.
SelEtPoivre
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2019 8:50 AM

This has been making the rounds in social media. It’s cute but...

when I see things like this that people go “awww” when it’s with kids, I always wonder if you changed it to a PWD if the response would be the same from the general public.

My guess, more “this is so sad” vs “this is so cute!”

Jo C.
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2019 5:07 PM

That will depend on the various people who would see such a video and the content of the video.  If it were me, I would find it touching, perhaps poignant, and even "cute," depending on the content if the non-dementia party(ies) in the video were respectful and loving.  If they were making fun of the person with dementia, that is another thing altogether and not acceptable.

But then . . . . I have had the dementia experience of caregiving more than once, and I am also an RN, so that is another viewpoint.  I would like to think that even if I had not had those experiences that I would have felt the same way; but no way to know with certainty.

Some others may not see such a dementia video in a a positive light; but there are detractors everywhere in this electronic world.  There were even detractors regarding the video  posted of the touching interaction between the father and baby.  Some made fun, some were sarcastic, some intentionally insulting. Unfortunately and sadly, there always seems to be some unkind and thoughtless individuals.

I remember a TV commercial a few years back for a garage chain that did auto work.  I had an intense reaction to it.

In the commercial, a "little old lady" with white hair who is wearing a raincoat goes into the garage and begins rattling off to men working in the garage; then she whips open her raincoat holding it wide open with a big grin on her face - she is supposed to be naked under the coat.  Omigosh!

I found myself having an instant and very strong reaction at that:   elderly(ageism) . . . . female(sexism) . . . . and what appeared to be a cognitive/behavioral issue (which seemed intended to be dementia).  Guess I must have had steam coming out of my ears.  I did a search and found the phone number for the corporate office; I called the CEO's office, got through and did some "education." 

Bottom line, the commercial was taken off the air.  I have no way to know how many people may have called and reported their feelings about that commercial; I am just glad it was taken down. 

There is that beautiful video of Naomi Feil, of  Validation Therapy reknown, who is interacting with a very elderly lady who has dementia and who does not usually communicate; one has to watch the video to the very end, it is beautiful in its way and it also brought a few tears to my eyes.  Most individuals I've spoken to who have seen it have seen it in a very positive light; but then those individuals are usually those who are somehow connected to care in one way or another.

It's about humanity, whatever the age and state of being.

J.

Dreamer Lost
Posted: Thursday, June 27, 2019 9:53 AM

Ah, it is cute.  Brought a smile to my face. Sometimes it doesn't matter the content of our conversation but the tone of voice and the responsiveness (to know someone is listening) and of course, how it makes us feel.
Rescue mom
Posted: Sunday, June 30, 2019 2:14 PM

The first thing I thought—after aww so cute!—was that this is much like a “conversation” with an advanced dementia person, the “validating” process.

The baby is adorable...how many would see the elderly PWD as adorable, or cute? I wonder.

I don’t think our society in general finds the elderly particularly appealing, (Golden Girls, Frankie and Grace notwithstanding) much less elderly PWDs. 

I also believe that’s a big part of the reason we do not see many truthful ads about dealing with dementias, as has often been discussed in other boards here.

abc123
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2019 9:16 PM

Rescue Mom, you made an excellent point. I love people, of all ages. One of my dearest friends was 40 years older than me. I miss her so much. She lived out in the country and i would spend weekends with her. We would stay up late talking. We cooked together and did lots of laughing. The elderly have so much to share. But i can not find anything cute in my heart about a person whose mind has been stolen from them without there permission. It makes me sad and angry.
jfkoc
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2019 4:52 PM

love, love, love this....I had many conversations just like this

please post on spouses