RSS Feed Print
ADHD Meds
Lavakire
Posted: Saturday, September 21, 2019 5:00 PM

My DH has extreme aggression, agitation, anxiety and never ending wandering/roaming.

He is now in a Psychiatric Hospital with the objective to find the right pharmaceutical to help calm him.  We are finding that the antipsychotics create a paradoxical effect.  

Because he is so hyperactive, I am wondering if ADHD type medication may be the right formula for him?  Does anyone have experience/best practice for Ritalin, Aderall, Strattera, Concerta etc?  

Does anyone have a web link that may have good information on this type of medication treatment or perhaps studies on treatment efficacy?

Thank you

Cubbie
Posted: Saturday, September 21, 2019 7:20 PM

I don’t have a website. However my DH has vascular dementia and sleeps a lot. The doctors have been considering meds such as Ritalin. They are currently trying to decrease a specific med to see if that helps. When they first mentioned the possibility I googled Ritalin in dementia/Alzheimer’s patients. There was quite a bit of info and studies that might be helpful. All the best to you!
harshedbuzz
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2019 6:21 AM

Lavakire-

The PWD I know who have had a psychostimulant prescribed for symptoms of dementia were given it in hopes of helping engagement and activation because for people without ADHD it doesn't tend to have the paradoxical effect. 

That said, in the absence of cardiovascular issues, a trial of a short acting Ritalin or Dexedrine could easily be done to see how it works. Both of these medications have shorter half lives and clear the body in around 4 hours so if it's not a good choice, the trial is over quickly. Should it work, you could move onto an extended release version of the same active ingredients- Concerta for Ritalin, Adderall or Vyvanse for Dexedrine. Strattera is not a psychostimulant and has a pretty high incidence of GI upset as a side effect. 

I am sorry you have not had luck with an antipsychotic; sometimes you have to trial a number of them to find a good fit. Has he tried any of the SSRIs for the anxiety?

HB