RSS Feed Print
Off Topic - A Bit of Humor and the Generation Gap
Jo C.
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2020 3:07 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OADXNGnJok&feature=youtu.be

J.

LizzieC
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2020 4:14 PM

oh how funny...poetic justice that techies can't figure out the rotary phone!
jb crick
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2020 4:36 PM

Kind of funny to watch. But as so many of us "old farts" chuckle over these teens trying to figure out how to perform this seemingly simple task, just ask yourself how many of us have asked our kids to help us with the "high tech" stuff that seems to come effortlessly to them.

I can only imagine hearing theses two teens mumbling under their breath... OK BOOMER!!

SSHarkey
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2020 5:17 PM

Love this! So fun to watch! And JB is right! I depend on my grands for a lot of tech assistance!
Ed1937
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2020 6:11 PM

Hilarious!!
Beachfan
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2020 6:35 PM

I saw this several years ago, but it still makes me smile.  And yes, jb, my grandkids are always saying, OK, BOOMER to me.
Joe and Cindy
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2020 8:16 PM

Hilarious.  Thank you for sending.

Joe and Cindy

Jo C.
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2020 6:33 AM

When I saw this for the first time, I was a bit astonished as well as laughing.  I knpw that I am hopeless at all the technology changes and always have been a tech disaster, but I never thought it worked backward for something as simple and not that far in the past as a rotary phone.  I had to look it up, but evidently rotary phones went out of standard use in the 1980's; that would be a bit over 30 years ago.   One can still use them, but I do not recall the last time I saw one.   I can get how confused thoses kids were in trying to figure it out; still humorous for me.

Our children and grandchildren are warp years ahead of most of us in the new technology scheme of things that keep changing so rapidly.

J.

telinde
Posted: Tuesday, February 18, 2020 1:02 PM

Hahahaha.  I loved that.  Thank you.
feudman
Posted: Wednesday, February 19, 2020 11:38 AM

This video says a lot about what media young people pay attention to. From a historic standpoint, the rotary phone was in common use for about 5 decades, and many of the movies and TV shows made during this long period showed people using these phones.*

*And having to look for a "phone booth" to make a call...wonder how many young folks ever saw one of those? It wasn't until the 1970's cop & private eye shows that we got a look at the first cumbersome car phones.

jb crick
Posted: Wednesday, February 19, 2020 6:45 PM

Jo C.,

Funny you should mention not remembering the last time you saw one. Until last summer, I would have agreed with you completely. However while camping in a state park last May, I ran across a rotary dial pay phone that still works and is connected to an in service line that is used as an emergency call out when the gates are locked at night.

Not sure why it is still there since everyone I know has a cell phone. Go figure...

File Attachment(s):
thumbnail.jpg (186499 bytes)

Jo C.
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2020 9:10 AM

Wonder if they would find a telephone book a challenge . . . . or use of my mother's washing machine that had wringers at the top to take water out of clothes because the machine though electric, had no "spin," so one had to put clothing through the wringers and hope the kids did not get their hands stuck in it out of curiosity. 

Portable radios with those metal antennas we had to pull out and up to get reception . . . . TVs with no remote and the need to have to use the "hor" hold or "vert" hold to adjust the wacky sudden movement of the screen images.

Manual typewriters with the bell and carriage return . . .

Clothes sprinklers to prepare clothing for ironing.  No permanent press back in the day. 

J.

Brezze23
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2020 12:50 AM

LOVE IT!
Crushed
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2020 4:33 AM

I did my undergraduate degree in the history of technology. Anyone who thinks THEY were not "taught" how to use a rotary phone is self delusional.   Phone users were taught both directly and by observing people use it.  I started my engineering students  off by asking them to explain the color scheme on arrow feathers.  There are three.  two of one color and one of a different color.  That is an Ancient technology.   You either know why it's that way  or you don't.  You know it only because you are taught. 

It's easy to make fun of people have not been taught something YOU were taught. 

I wont keep you in suspense.  The odd colored feather is always perpendicular to the arrow nock.  It always goes AWAY from the bow.