RSS Feed Print
Over eating
Gwen&Rob
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2020 11:59 AM

My husband is compulsively eating.  I fix his meal, and ten minutes after he eats he is in the refrigerator looking for something to eat.  He gets up 8 to 10 times in the night and is eating anything he can find.  He takes bread out of the package and takes a bite or two and then leaves the slice on the refrigerator shelf.  He was diagnosed to 2014 and is now in stage 6 Alz.  I know this disease causes compulsive/obsessive behavior and he has been through many stages, but this over eating is driving me crazy.  I can't keep food in the house and I find myself hiding food (something I have never done).
Rescue mom
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2020 12:52 PM

I had to stop buying some foods, and hide a few others, because DH would compulsively eat so much of a few things he’d literally make himself sick. (Imagine a person eating 18 ounces of mayo at one time, by itself, straight from the jar....). 

What I’d do depends on how bad this overeating is for him? Does your DH eat anything/everything? Certain things? Is he suffering from overweight issues? Or getting sick—not like long-term sick, but sick immediately? 

If it didn’t cause DH some immediate problem, I’d let him eat, within certain limits (not 18 o? Of mayo, but you know what I mean). Worrying about his chloresterol now doesn’t have much point. 

I did, however, think carefully about what I brought in the house or left where he could get it, and how much was available at once. 

When you say your DH ate 1-2 slices of bread, that’s a different matter, IMO, than eating the whole loaf. Wasteful, yes, but not so likely to cause him distress.  You could try having just a small amount of bread available, then freezing the rest.

If your DH is eating everything/anything, constantly, I think there are Rx meds that could help with that and other OCD behaviors. 

Otherwise, it may be that hiding, or not buying, or buying less of,  some foods is another part of this awful disease we have to deal with. I never hid food before either. I never did a lot of things that have to be done now for his own protection. 

Lills
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2020 1:13 PM

I could write a book on DH's overeating.  DH has FTD (and ALS); one of the main characteristics of FTD is binge eating--mostly for sweets.   DH has gained about 50 pounds since 2017.  The eating has undergone many phases...first just overeating sweets, then anything, including a raw chicken leg I was ready to cook.  I used to purposely set out food he could eat (fruit, cookie, etc.).  When he started to open the refrigerator at night, I was concerned he would eat whatever he could find.  I finally began to lock the refrigerator at night (child proof).  A short time later, DH began rummaging through the food cupboard.  One morning, I saw on the kitchen island that DH had opened up multiple CANS of food, including pie fillings, kidney beans, etc.  Ok...I needed to child proof the cupboard.  The newest 'phase' is that he is cutting down on all food.
Rescue mom
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2020 1:18 PM

Wow, Lills, my DH did that same thing, rummaging through cabinets, freezer, fridge, leaving food opened and out on counter, on the floor (usually artfully arranged in a nice pattern)...it was a mess. Not to mention tons wasted. Child-proof locks got us through that phase....

Goes without saying there were lots of snacks he liked sitting out in clear view/reach on the table and counter....

Lorita
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2020 1:21 PM

Hi,

This is kind of a new one on me - normally it's that they won't eat.  I wouldn't be overly concerned unless it is making him sick.  The mayo thing isn't good.  I never had that problem with Charles overeating and not too much with him not eating enough.  If I did have the problem of my loved one getting into things and eating too much, I'd lock up some things and leave others available for him to eat.  The time will come when the worm turns and he won't be eating and there will be concern for that.  Nothing seems to be very routine about dementia.

abc123
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2020 2:47 PM

My 78 year old Mom(Alzheimer's) will forget she has eaten, usually after having enjoyed a home cooked sit down dinner. Within about 20 to 30 minutes she's starving and will tell me she hasn't eaten all day. So I fix her a small serving of what she just had.

At night she gets up several times to eat. I call it grazing. I prepare snacks for her and leave them around the house where she will find them. She never fully finishes anything during the night. She takes a few bites of whatever she can find. She loves sweets. I hide the sweets and leave out just a couple of cookies or a snack cake. Also a half sandwich, a few chips and some fruit. She will take one or two bites of everything and she will open a few cans of soda and not finish any of them. She will eat straight out of the refrigerator. Last time she stayed at my house she found the frozen chocolate pie in the freezer. I got up to a huge mess in the kitchen and the freezer.