HOW TO GET UP OFF THE FLOOR IF YOU FALL
Jo C.
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2019 8:53 AM

Saw this; it is detailed and thought it may be of help for some:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ETgQD8QhZs

J.

Gig Harbor
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2019 10:22 AM

The presenter did have some good ideas. At my age if I fall I will probably break a hip, wrist or shoulder so I will have to be even more creative.
storycrafter`
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2019 10:32 PM

Great video. I'll review it to remember the ideas.

One of my siblings recently fell and had her first experience of not being able to get up. She was able to summon help. It was an eye opener to hear her story about it because she is very active and healthy lifestyle. She thought she might have broken her knee, and she has to be very careful not to tweak her back. It was a shock for her system and she couldn't figure out how to get up.

Today I had a fleeting moment of concern that gave me a taste of how it can happen when least expected. I was stooping and holding something and suddenly it turned into an awkward movement and I needed to protect my back. My legs didn't have the right angle and my muscles lost coordination. So I let myself tip over (easily), and instinctively used  the first method in the demo, glad no one saw me, LOL.  But it gave me pause to pay more attention and to study your great link!

Thank you!

barbm
Posted: Saturday, September 21, 2019 12:49 AM

Great tips!  I often had to get my DH husband up and wish I known some of these ways to help get him up.
hvhartman
Posted: Saturday, September 21, 2019 9:47 AM

A suggestion:  Get up off the sofa and rehearse these techniques while watching TV.  The exercise will develop both your muscles and your confidence to cope with being on the floor.
Jo C.
Posted: Saturday, September 21, 2019 10:58 AM

Had a lovely elderly friend who fell in her home in her laundry room; could not get up off the floor and had no phone and could not get to a door.

She was on the floor for THREE full days!   She managed little by little to crawl on her belly and scoot to eventually get part way into her living room where  she was unable to go no farther due to weakness.

Three days and nights; no food, no water, no bathroom, and could not reach up to top of table to get to a  phone.  On the fourth day, a man was delivering circulars to houses; he placed one in her screen door. She began in a feeble voice to call for help, but the man left her porch.

Fortunately, as he was going down the walk, he felt something was not right and went back to the porch.  He called out and asked if anyone was in trouble and she managed to use that weak voice to call out enough for him to hear.  The man called the police department who arrived minutes later.

She survived but was in the hospital for several weeks and then in skilled care rehab and went home with in-home help.

One more day and she would not have survived.  She also got herself one of those call buttons one can wear on a string around one's neck or on the wrist.

So glad she was saved, but what a horror for her to go through.

J.

Lorita
Posted: Saturday, September 21, 2019 2:48 PM

Hi Jo - thanks for the link.  I watched it and got some good ideas - if you're in the house.  The most likely place I'd fall would be outside so nothing would be around to pull up to unless it might be the CW.

I have one of the pendants but forget to wear it when I'm outside.  Sandy keeps telling me to wear it.  I do take my phone with me but she says if the CW overturned she doubted a cow would come over and use my phone to call for help.  I always remember that when I'm going over rough ground.  I have sat down in the grass to watch the girls and they all come over to see what's going on but I doubt they could help.

We had a similar thing happen to our neighbor several years ago.  He was getting ready for Church and stood on one leg to put on his pants and fell.  He was in the LR and his phone was in the dining room.  He did finally manage to get up on the divan and luckily he had some water in the LR.  He couldn't get to his phone for two or three days to call us.  We hurried over and Charles had to break the window on the door to get in - we called an ambulance and got him to the hospital in Tulsa.  He had broken a hip and never recovered.  The sad thing was that he had ordered a pendant, had called me to see if he could put our number on it to call but never got it done - so it didn't help.  Another sad thing, a friend of ours had his farm leased to run cattle and he was there every day but never knew anything was wrong.  Such a sad thing and our friend felt so bad about it.

Scary thing, this falling, especially when you live alone.  Patsy has fallen in the bathtub and couldn't get up.  Jack was finally able to get her up but was so hard for him since he's still having trouble with his hip since he broke it over two years ago.  A fall can change your entire life.

Jo C.
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2019 9:03 AM

Pendants are wonderful IF one wears them - please wear your pendant and if you do not want to wear it in the house at all, you can hang it from the door knob where you go outside to go and tend to the cattle and put it on when going outside.  I know; I am a worrier. 

It would be horrible to think of you down and not able to call for help out on the ranch.  Doggone getting older; doggone wonky joints . . . . Sigh.  Doggone.

J.

Lorita
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2019 1:41 PM

Hi,

Jo, I think I commented on this on the Friend's thread but will here, also.  I do wear the pendant when I go to town, probably the least needed place to wear it.  Hanging it on the doorknob might be a good thing.  I know I should wear it when I go out but I seem to always be in a hurry - probably should put it on when I put on my clothes in the morning.  Yes, falling or getting hurt out in the pasture would be a bad thing.  I usually take Stormy with me but he probably wouldn't be or any more help than the girls.  I've only been knocked down by a cow one time and that wasn't her fault and it didn't hurt me.  At that time Charles was out with me.  It was Christy and someone else pushed her into me - just grazed me but that's enough when they're really big - got my shirt sleeve caught in the barbed wire fence but no injury except to the shirt. 

Getting old is not easy - bad knees, Morton's Neuroma, injured shoulder I need to watch and now strained obliques - but I will survive and by taking it easier will or should be able to continue to do what I enjoy.