RSS Feed Print
Post Diagnsis
dbbwlk
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2020 2:41 PM

I was diagnosised with dementia/alzheimers in late May. I am terrified of this disease. I cant stop thinking about the end of it.  Its all I can think about. So many unanswered questions. I am afraid of not knowing my childern. Being poor I am scared about care at the end.

I know I am wasting the here and now, but I dont know how to stop my mind racing. 
I am interested in how others handled the diagnososis

dbbwlk
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2020 3:50 PM

Sorry if I would have looked a little father I would found several other posts
SF Unforgettables
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2020 12:29 PM

Hello, 

Welcome to ALZConnected.  We are an Alzheimer's Association Early Stage Support Group, and have just read your post.  Here are some comments and suggestions that we have for you:

"Accept it like any other disease.  Do the best you can!  The only control we have is to accept it or not."

"We invite you to join an early stage support group.  Its good to hear other people's experiences, how they are doing, learn some tips and tricks on how to deal with challenges."

"It was a blow to receive this diagnosis, as a professor.  It's hard to lose my memory.  However, I can still think, I can still write, create, and do things I enjoy.  I am healthy, and have a good wife.  All of these things are helpful."

"It has helped to build a support circle of friends and family to help me with my forgetfulness.  I'm not sure what the future holds, so I focus on living the good life, right now.  I wish I could remember my friends names better, but they forget names, too.  I appreciate the support group, as I can connect with others who are in a similar situation, and understand what I am going through."

"It's best to accept that it's life, and work to adjust.  I emphasize joining a support group.  It's very helpful.  There are others facing all the problems I am.  Being connected with the Alzheimer's Association has been a very positive experience for me."

"Just stay loose."

- The Early Stage Support Group from Northern California

dbbwlk
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2020 3:44 PM

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. I will start looking for a support group.