RSS Feed Print
rapid progression(1)
WV
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2020 1:01 PM

Following kidney failure followed by a UTI, my dad has moved from stage 3 to stage 6 in just a few weeks. He's in a skilled nursing facility now and getting good care, but the acceleration of his dementia has left me stunned and overwhelmed with grief (it also forced us to make some decisions in a hurry, since we thought we had more time to move him into MC). Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else.
M1
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2020 1:11 PM

oh yes.  My partner was stage 4 and fairly stable until a tickborne illness in July with the main symptom being acutely worse confusion.  Although she responded to antibiotics fairly quickly, she's not back to baseline mentally and probably will never be, clearly worse since the illness.  So sorry for your situation; perhaps your dad might improve somewhat with time, but every case is different.  Hard to make decisions in a crisis for sure.  Good luck...
TessC
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2020 11:00 PM

I hear it is very common for a serious illness to accelerate the decline in a person with dementia. As the body fights off infections (or surgery, or other illness) the mind is affected as well.  I'm sorry for this steep decline, but hopefully as he regains his strength, he will start to improve cognitively as well.
LicketyGlitz
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2020 5:27 PM

We've had that experience too, WV. Any significant health or life event would always send dementia progression into the fast lane, leaving us breathless trying to keep up with our emotions. With our mom, it often stabilizes, and we adapt and go on our merry dementia way until the next big leap forward. We always survive, and so far so has she! But it is tough, tough, tough to absorb.

Hang in there.

WV
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2020 7:05 AM

Thank you!