RSS Feed Print
Life after caregiving
Wgonzo
Posted: Monday, March 19, 2018 6:55 AM

So, what has your life been like after caregiving? I'm wondering because after years of caring for parents and worse with this disease how are you living your life now? On the caregivers message board we know what that was like. And, when I read the desperation and plea for answers and relief it's almost like I lived that in a dream.

What are you doing to keep going after the storm? Let's share thoughts and ideas to maybe help each other get through this stage.

Wendy

jfkoc
Posted: Monday, March 19, 2018 9:01 AM

I got up and made it through the day any way I could. Many hours were spent playing cards. Many more going through anything that kept my connection with my husband.
Jules315
Posted: Monday, March 19, 2018 9:21 AM

It's been just over 5 weeks since my mom passed after a long journey to find peace. I find that my tears come at strange times when I least expect them but I've stopped apologizing for them. Nobody at Target needs to know why I'm crying in the snack aisle! (I bought Mom every type of chocolate snack I could find in an attempt to get her to eat.)

I'm making my way through all the legal aspects of a death now. Burial trust, life insurance, annuities, etc. But I find myself thinking about a pedicure and a massage; things I hadn't thought of in ages! We went out for dinner with friends over the weekend and I even took time to put on make-up and jewelry instead of just throwing on a sweater and jeans and running out the door. My girlfriend noticed and commented that it was nice to see me more like my "old self." I don't always feel that way but I do know that for the first time in what feels like forever I can breathe.

My husband and I had hoped for a break but it wasn't meant to be. His father is in later stages of dementia living in assisted living with his mother. She had a stroke one week ago and is unable to return to their facility. That puts his father in a position of not being able to stay there either. They will both need to be in a skilled nursing facility with memory care. My husband is POA so the responsibility falls to him to find a new home for them. He is blessed to have 2 sisters that are right there in the trenches with him so that lightens his load a little.

My father also has dementia and is living in an assisted living facility but will need to transition into memory care soon. I'm hoping his path will be smoother than Mom's. But whatever comes, I know I can handle it.

Take a walk. Get a pedicure. Have lunch with friends. It's baby steps. Don't beat yourself up if it's a bad day. Just treat it as a bad day and then do your best tomorrow. And know that you are not alone!

Hugs,

Jules

Tay46
Posted: Monday, March 19, 2018 12:24 PM

After a year and four months after the loss of my mom, I am still trying to find my place in the world.  After searching for so long, I finally found a job but I absolutely hate it. I only accepted it out of desperation and for the money. Don't get me wrong, I am grateful to have it but at this stage in my life, I was looking for more fulfillment at the end of the day. The majority of my coworkers are 35 and under and looking for status, money and promotion. At age 51, I'm not looking for that any longer. At the end of the day, I want to feel as if I helped someone not just help a large organization turn a profit. It's a call center job, the hours are terrible, and it's extremely stressful. It is the opposite of everything I was looking for in a position. The pay is decent but that is it.  I just feel if I am to face AD at some point in my future, I need to squeeze as much joy out of life now. I need the money but I very unhappy so I am again going through that "stuck feeling."

Interestingly, the person I would normally vent to is gone. I am still grieving my mom and think about her everyday. Spring is upon us yet inside of me it still feels cold and dark. My friends and family say I should start dating but I wouldn't dare unleash this hot mess on another person just yet. I thought after a year the clouds would lift but it's still cloudy. Just waiting for a little bit of sun. Someday... 

Tay

Wgonzo
Posted: Tuesday, March 20, 2018 9:08 AM

That's why I asked. This disease for however long it took to take our LO's down and the time it's been since they passed has forever changed us. Finding the way to move on is essential to reclaim our lives as difficult as that can be.

Jfkoc, do you spend time with your children and grand-children?

Jules, you are so right about having time now to think about pleasurable things like a mani/pedi. Even though that wasn't something I would treat myself to, I will now. I'm sorry to hear you're still dealing with ailing parents and this disease.

Tay, at least you know you want to be happier and enjoy life. Maybe your current job is just filling a need at the moment and something better will come your way. So, dating right now is not in the picture. How about just re-connecting with friends & family. Meet for lunch and talk. I realized a lot of my connections on my phone were more related to my mom (doctors, lawyer, hospice, etc..) then personal. I'm hoping to make connections again. My sister and I are doing a spa weekend at the end of this week to bond, we need it.

Hanging in there........

Wendy

jfkoc
Posted: Tuesday, March 20, 2018 11:59 AM

While my daughter lives about 10 minutes away I do not spend a lot of time with her. We do talk or see each other probably once a week. 

Grandson's come by when they need a bit of gas money or I need them to change the light bulbs.

I talk to my son in St Louis every week and his girls less often.

That seems to be enough for me.....not a lot to talk about with them. 

Maybe I should try harder. Hmmmmm

TheirLittleGirl
Posted: Tuesday, March 20, 2018 4:31 PM

Personally, I'm still "lost" and socially withdrawn. I cared for both of my parents for over 10 years until they passed and 2 bio and 3 step children for 15 years before that. It seems like I don't know how to DO anything else. I was a social butterfly in my youth, but once I started having my children, then married a man with 3 young ones and no mother in their life...well, work and family life were my entire existence. That lasted from my mid 20's until last July when my Dad passed from Alz. I turned 52 last week. It's been almost 30 years that I've spent taking care of other's in some capacity or another and I don't even know who I am anymore. My husband took me to a party at one of our friends house on Sunday...a belated St. Patrick's Day get together. All of our husbands play in a band and were up on stage playing in the backyard and all of the wives were congregated on blankets on the grass. Not me. I sat in a chair within eye line of my husband, segregating myself from the other women. Most of them have younger kids and younger parents and I just truly don't have anything to talk to them about without sounding like Debbie Downer. That was never who I was. So. for me, social anxiety has reared it's ugly head and is preventing me from reaching out to the people in my life. I'm hoping that as I pass some of these grieving milestones that the 1st year inevitably brings things (me) will feel less awkward and I'll want to socialize more with people outside of my family. For me, for now, it's just a matter of putting one foot in front of the other on a daily basis and hoping that the sun will shine just a little bit brighter tomorrow.
Tink4495
Posted: Tuesday, March 20, 2018 10:53 PM

It's been just over 2 years since I lost my mom to this horrible disease and I am still lost. Like others, I have always taken care of everyone in the family. While I took care of my mother in my home 24/7, my boyfriend was also caring for his mom in his home. This disease does create isolation. A year ago, I left my work from home job to go back to work in an office thinking that the socialization would help but it hasn't. I too, use to be a social butterfly in my younger days but not so anymore. I am 54 so not too old yet and am still working on trying to find joy in everyday life. It has been a struggle as care giving became such a big part of my life. My boyfriend and I try to go out to eat every couple of weeks or to a movie. When I am out shopping, I look for things that my mom would like and that brings a smile to my face. I love music and we plan on attending 3 concerts this summer. The beach is also my happy place, so I am going to plan a long overdue vacation somewhere by an ocean. I also remind myself to be thankful for each and every day we are blessed with as tomorrow is not promised. Like our journey through this disease, we need to take it one day at a time. 

Sending good thoughts and hugs to all of you,

Trina

Wgonzo
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2018 7:38 AM

This journey in caring for our loved ones has forever changed us. As a caregiver to our LO's it was more then meeting their needs. Our love for them especially through this disease was & is endless. As hard as it was to go through so much with them I wouldn't do it differently.

And, that is why it's difficult to find your way, purpose and reason to move on. When being the caregiver is all you know. You need to re-discover you. It's not going to happen over night and from what I see not even after a couple of years. But, it's worth the effort. This journey that we were put on meant something, right? As we continue to navigate through our grief I think they would want us to find our joy.

I hope that as time passes I will find ways to continue to honor both my parents. They were and are my hero's who taught me so much. My family and I are truly blessed to have had them show us what is love.

Here's to all you loving caregivers in finding your joy, smile, laughter and happiness again.

Wendy

LastFire
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2018 3:27 PM

My DH passed March 3. 2018.    I am 75....feel that I don't have extra years to rejoin life.  So, I returned to church, have joined two senior groups for day trips and luncheons, have joined the rec center to enable some exercising (ugh), and have rejoined the Audubon group for birding trips locally.  I went to a kite festival last Saturday and will be a "grandmother" spectator at an Easter egg hunt this Sunday.  I certainly miss my dear husband but we were always very active people.  He is with me in my heart.  I was with a group of 15 seniors today for lunch.  Only one or two can't seem to move pass their sorrow.  Each person has to deal with the loss in his/her own way.   Be patient with yourself - but DO get out.
Veterans kid
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2018 4:13 PM

What is this “life after caregiving” you speak of? .  

JK  

Honestly, that’s all I want...a life.

That is what my dad wanted for me, and my mom too.

I settle for surviving another day.

One day at a time.

There isn’t any vacation time or get away time, time to take care of myself, do the things I want or wanted to do...or moving forward at this point.

It’s survival. 

VK 

Unforgiven
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2018 5:45 PM

It has only been a little over three weeks for me.  I feel much calmer, and my hand hardly shakes at all anymore.  I'm still deep in the process of clearing out my mother's room and deciding which of her things to give away.  I find I procrastinate because the decisions are too much for me just yet.  Still in the process also of filing life insurance claims and filing as beneficiary of her remaining assets.  I really dragged my feet on that part.

My ultimate hope is to have a little fun with my spouse for what good time remains to us, but the fun hasn't materialized yet.

Wgonzo
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2018 7:38 AM

Time and baby steps towards healing. So hopefully the answer is to not overwhelm ourselves with major tasks or changes that you are not ready for. We need to take it day by day.

I'm trying to work within my circle of friends and family. I'm not ready for branching out into the unknown. Fortunately, I work with a nice group of people. Socializing is the issue as TheirLittleGirl stated. It feels especially awkward when you're not in your own element. For example I went to an annual dinner at my husband's job and boy did I feel like a fish out of water. And, I know his co-workers. Our conversations were always about what this disease was doing to mom and how she was doing. So, you almost don't know what else to talk about. But, with time it has to get better.

Hang in there! The sun will shine again

Wendy

Pawpawsgirl43
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2018 9:55 PM

Reading this made my eyes tear up well written and I so agree
dayn2nite2
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2018 2:43 PM

On April 1, it will be 6 years.  Life really hasn’t been a picnic, I will always have my middle-aged brother on the autism spectrum living with me.  I’ve had a number of jobs, starting another soon.  Really just putting one foot in front of the other until I die.  For me, the bloom is off the rose of life.
KML
Posted: Monday, April 2, 2018 1:12 PM

For you DayN2nite2:

I hope this can make things a bit brighter for you today.  Blessings to you.

BethL
Posted: Tuesday, April 3, 2018 8:55 AM

I've been thinking about Mother's Day, which is coming up in a few short weeks. This is the first year I won't have a mother on Mother's Day. It's really sad. I would not, however, bring Mom back in the way she was. 

Also strange: I also don't have a living father, father-in-law or mother-in-law. Hubby and I are now the matriarch and patriarch of our family!!! Wow, is that ever a weird feeling.

lfgm
Posted: Wednesday, April 4, 2018 4:28 PM

wow! 

i feel like what a lot of you have written is on behalf of me!

april33
Posted: Friday, April 6, 2018 10:45 PM

I wrote some rules for myself to follow and mostly they work pretty well.[ Not always as you can tell from my other post]
1.Focus as much as possible on the present, Don't let your mind wander back to when things were different

2. stay connected to other people. fill your days with activities and interesting involvements
3Deal with solvable problems as they arise, Don't let them linger around to create more distress

4Your loved ones disease has run its course. There is nothing anyone could have done to change it. That phase of your life has ended. make this new phase of your life the best it can be

5 identify areas or times that cause you distress. write down ways to counteract them'.

6. Get out of the house every day spend some of your day getting some exercise.

I try to keep busy so there is something to look forward to each day, I volunteer at the library book store one day a week and at the church office one day.
Twink
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2018 8:22 AM

This Fall will make 7 yrs since Dad passed & 4 since Mom passed. Still trying to settle the family farm division with a hostile sibling, working ALOT - making up for lost time during the CG years, & trying to enjoy "having a life" again.

This whole experience has changed me. I'm much more introverted now. I've changed jobs - my "thinker" was tired, so I left the world of financial planning & am bartending. I like it - for the most part, it's mindless & low stress. When I'm done my shift, I don't have to think about it anymore! Crowds & noise do bother me a bit now, but it's tolerable being behind the bar, slightly removed from it.

I prefer to spend my off-time at home, with my critters. Home is my sanctuary. I get more than enough "socialization" at work, so I enjoy the peace & quiet of home.

I seem to have become the "go-to girl" for all my friends & their concerns about aging parents. While I'm happy to help them if I can, part of me kind of resents it. (Like, "Hey, I've done more than my fair share of time with this crap, & I don't recall any of you being there, holding my hand!") Guess I still have some unresolved anger & frustration, huh?

My emotions are much closer to the surface & I work harder to contain them. Those who haven't been on this journey just don't get it, & I don't have the patience  or time to explain.

Wishing y'all luck on stage 8 & sending huge hugs, Twink

Tay46
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2018 12:30 AM

Twink wrote:

I seem to have become the "go-to girl" for all my friends & their concerns about aging parents. 

Oh my goodness Twink, you too?? I don't know why everyone now believes I am the subject matter expert on caregiving of elderly parents.

Twoevas
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2018 2:37 PM

I am new to this side and really appreciate everything you all have written. I identify with so much of it. My mom died twelve days ago. I am still numb and unable to sleep much at night. I have weird dreams about her when I do sleep. It’s weird to be able to leave the house without making arrangements. I still feel like I will go downstairs and she will be sitting on the couch. Because she lived with us for four years her presence is everywhere. I go to the sink, I think of her doing dishes. I sit on the front porch, I think of us sitting there together.  The day after her funeral I sat outside the whole day bc I could not be in the house. 

I have also been a caregiver to my parents the last 15 years, before that a stay at home Mom to my 4 little ones. My kids all still need me but they are all teens now so my role is different. Anyway I am struggling with the shock/trauma of watching my mom die, the sadness, the emptiness and just feeling like a fish out of water in the world and especially in 

social situations. I’m so used to things being so heavy and serious that talking about new diets, fashion, vacations, where to get nails done is not something I can relate to right now. . People will be talking and in my head I’m thinking, “ I just watched my mom slowly die from Alzheimer’s and I don’t really care about these things”.

I know things will get better. My mom and dad would want me to have a wonderful life. I think it’s just going to be survival for now bc it’s all so fresh. First thing is to focus  on getting sleep bc I think that will help my mental state. Did any of you have trouble sleeping? What did you do for your sleep problems? 

Thanks to everyone that post on this side bc I really need help navigating this stage. 

Wgonzo
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2018 4:52 PM

Twoevas, 

I know exactly what you're talking about. You are just a couple of weeks in and the fog will continue. To be honest I thought after my mom passed I would finally sleep through the night, but not so. I slept worse then ever. I would wake up multiple times and look at the clock to see the time. I don't know why. I think no matter how much you tell yourself that they are in a better place the grief is overwhelming and you're still processing it all.

It's been four months for me and it took a bad cold recently for me to sleep. I think I was so miserable with the cold that I just didn't think about anything else. Crazy, huh?

Maybe try a lavender soak, tea, melatonin, or an over the counter sleep aid. The biggest part which will take time is accepting that your mom is no longer physically with you. She is always with you.......in your heart and she is a part of you.

I hope with time you will be able to sleep better

Hugs

Wendy

Gigi14
Posted: Friday, May 4, 2018 2:01 PM

Finding how to go on is hard. My mom passed away last June. I struggled through July and August with trying to "deal" with all the things we must do after our loved one passes away. Luckily, I got most of the important stuff done before our home was flooded during Hurricane Harvey. I found out then that things are only "stuff". We had to trash 23 years worth of furniture and things in the garage that were flooded. Some things were a few of my parents. Things I hadn't dealt with yet. I was able to save photos, and some other important things upstairs before the flood waters entered our home. My hubby kept saying that we wouldn't flood. We got a foot of water, but exposed furniture/items that were fabric had to be trashed. It was so exhausting. Walls had to be torn out to 4 ft. high.  We had planned on doing some remodeling, but not to that extent. But, we have recovered and I learned to "let it go" --- such a very hard lesson to learn. Hopefully, I won't have to learn it again like I did with learning to be patient. The lessons on being patient from earlier in my life helped with family, my teaching job, and more importantly with caring for my parents. I am not sure if God planned on making me move on and not dwell in limbo with my mom's death but I had to move on and make decisions that I necessarily wouldn't have done quickly or easily otherwise. I just had no choice but to do it. I certainly hope that I have done what I needed to do with dealing with mom's passing. I grieved along with her during her two year dramatic decline after my dad passed. I think we all have to just do what feels right. I haven't been able to reconnect with friends ---but really have had that difficulty since I moved my parents closer to me in '13. I am planning on trying to get out to do more in the future and to try to enjoy life. Hubby has been supportive and we still are helping to care give for his mother. With my mom's decline, I always told him I was "doing the best I can". I guess that still holds true. Wishing all of you that are still struggling---- the ability to sort through and be able to enjoy life the best that you can. Your loved one would want you to be happy. I know my parents would want that for me.
dutiful deb
Posted: Sunday, May 20, 2018 12:33 AM

Life after caregiving....I'm only in the first week after losing my mom, so I don't quite know what that is yet. I feel like I'm still in caregiving mode, as I continue to handle her affairs and am in the process of finalizing  things. 

Although I have been able to focus on handling those matters that are related to the passing of a loved one, I'm in a fog. I'm forgetful, unfocused, and tired. How is it that  before Mom passed away, I worked full time, took college courses, managed or had a hand in all Mom's care needs, visited her five to seven days a week, and did other things in between, yet now I'm in a total fog?

I had the week off work, and will return on Monday. This, of course, will be part of my routine and continue to fill the slot in my life it always  has. I have had little to no time for pursuing hobbies. My house and yard show signs of great neglect. Right now I feel so tired and am lacking the energy to do much, but my husband and I did fill the time today we would normally spend with Mom, by working on our garden. 

Sleep has not been my friend.   I started taking melatonin,  and it seems to be helping me get some sleep at night.

MPSunshine
Posted: Saturday, July 7, 2018 8:33 AM

Life after caregiving. I don't know what that is yet, exactly. My mom died mid-June. Before that was my mom and dad as far as caregiving, so it was full-time thinking of their needs along with the hands-on care involved for both of them, or the organizing of caregivers, or the transporting to and from the club my mom attended, or the medical appointments, or the concerns about their habits and new behaviors, the endless phone calls to me at my job, the time off to attend to their needs. My grown children thankfully are responsible adults without me helping them too much.

The only thing that has saved me is that two weeks prior to my mom dying, we adopted a full grown rescue dog. Everyone told me that was the last thing we needed was more responsibility as my mom was already in pain and dying at the time we adopted this sweet girl. This lonely dog from the shelter, with her wagging tail and her smile and her wiggling has truly saved me from desolation and despair. Four walks outside a day. Brushing. She is a delight and a joy.

My mom, who didn't normally like dogs, even liked her. My daughter is totally in love with her. Maybe on some level my mom knew that this dog would rescue me, because yes, me and my mom, we were so close and it is so hard to think of life without her even though I know she was suffering and that life will go on. It is easier to see when the reminders are right there that life goes on, and trying to embrace that reality and let the past subside. I know it will. I will learn to focus on the present. It's just taking time right now to process the past.

His Daughter
Posted: Saturday, July 7, 2018 2:31 PM

MP Sunshine, great to see you on the boards again!   

Wendy, I got through the first year by being incredibly busy handling the estate.  More jobs, more things to focus on.  But then I almost felt like I had PTSD, and in some ways still do.  Being the primary caregiver for this disease certainly changes your life.  Before, during and after.  

Now, I'm still trying to get back to a new normal living.  Spending time with grandkids, cleaning up a house that was neglected for years, trying to look ahead.  And hoping this disease is not in my future.  

Skittles412
Posted: Monday, July 9, 2018 8:48 AM

My mother passed on June 6th so my wounds are still pretty fresh. I find myself sitting at work and randomly breaking down out of nowhere. I have to get up and go outside to try and work through it.  I’m exhausted every day from being so emotional and my horrible sleeping patterns aren’t helping (and that’s while using a sleeping aid).  I have 6 other siblings and every one of us is grieving; and in so many different ways as everyone does. This is the hardest thing we’ve all ever been through and none of us know how to handle it. When I get home much of the same; I break down out of nowhere uncontrollably. My poor husband has no idea what to do when I get like this.  I actually feel bad for him but what can I do? It feels like the world  just kept on going after mom died but I’m still stuck on June 6th, holding her hand right after she died.  I can’t catch up to life and I wish it would just slow down for me.  I know it’s early but I wish I could move on….even just a little.  Thanks for hearing me out.

-Kat

Vivilynn
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2018 10:19 PM

Skittles412, I feel your pain even though it has been 31 years since my mama passed.  I was beyond devastated and like you, my poor husband was at a loss. All I can tell you is it will get easier, not today , not tomorrow, but over time the pain won't be as sharp, BUT you will always feel the loss no matter how much time goes by.   You only have one mother and it is so hard to tell her goodbye.

Blessings and prayers for you to make peace with your loss soon.

Vivi

Skittles412
Posted: Thursday, July 12, 2018 6:56 AM

Thank you for the kind words ViviLynn. I could never have anticipated how I'm feeling since mom left us. This is a blow to the stomach that may never heal. I can't wait till my memories don't make me cry.

I wish you peace Vivi.

-Kat

Goodtogo
Posted: Saturday, July 14, 2018 7:35 PM

My mom passed away 8 mos ago, right before the holidays.   For the last 25 years in some way shape or form I had been caring for someone.  The last 8 years it was my mom and later added my eldest son a marine, sustained a TBI while in country.

I had been her primary caregiver through the entire journey.  I was exhausted both physically and mentally when she passed.  I was not able to do anything at all, it was just too hard and ended up taking a leave of absence from work.  

My world was turned upside down both during the journey and with her passing.  It’s hard no matter what.  The hole remains, but I’m learning to live with the hole and emptiness.  Tears still flow.

The journey was long and grieving started before she passed.  Grieving and recovery have no time frame,  

We gave everything we had and for me, I am trying to be kind and gentle as I find peace afterwards.  I never expected stage 8 to be this hard.

Hugs to everyone 

Wgonzo
Posted: Saturday, July 14, 2018 8:41 PM

Kat,

My heart goes out to you. This stage isn't any easier then what we were going through with our mom's. The only thing is that they are at peace and no longer suffering with this disease.

Navigating our new normal will take time. So, don't expect everything to be ok everyday. It's been 6 months for me and a piece of me is gone. Of course she is forever in my heart and I try not to dwell on all the sadness. I purposely don't think about the bad parts and focus on the good.

Connecting with others on this side has helped me cope with the grieving aspect.

Just take it one day at a time. Don't make any big decisions and find what brings you joy again.

Hugs

Wendy

Wgonzo
Posted: Saturday, July 14, 2018 8:48 PM

Goodtogo,

Your right grief has no timeline. And, we have been grieving since the disease started. Now, we have to adjust to our new normal and that will take time.

I'm sorry to hear about your son. How is he?

It is one day at a time. And, the tears still flow, but at least we know they are no longer in pain.

Hugs

Wendy

Pam14
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2018 2:15 AM

It's been almost 14 months since I lost my sweet sister, Deb; 8 years since Dad left us & I did a lot to help care for him and Deb at the same time for a few years; Mom has been gone 15 years on July 19.  I don't even know where I am anymore.  Deb's pictures are all over our house.  Though I've gotten rid of a lot of her things, I still haven't finished cleaning out Deb's room at our house.

Feels like after 14 years of caregiving (7 of which were with Dad (who had Parkinson's) and Deb), I'm wiped out.  Having Rheumatoid Arthritis has been no picnic with this.  I let things go for so long, it's attacking like a vengeance.  In April I had to get a reverse total shoulder replacement to my right shoulder because the RA has been attacking my tendons, too. My left shoulder isn't a lot better, & I ruptured my left bicep tendon when Deb was on a slow decline & never had it fixed, so that makes for a bad combination.  My feet are completely eaten up with it, and my ankles have RA damage so bad I'm about at the stage of needing the right one fused.  I'm still trying to work with all this going on.  It's a real battle.  I've got no energy in me.  I'm only up at this time from pain.

Why is it that when we're in the hectic state of going through all the years of caregiving, we've got support - like we had on the Caregiver Board - and then once our LO is gone, poof.  Everyone thinks we should go back to our own lives & all is wonderful.  I don't even talk to my friends about things anymore.  Many of them still have a lot of their family - some still have their parents.  All I have left from my original family is my brother - and we barely speak.  For me that's good because he'd been so verbally abusive for so many years, I don't need to put up with that anymore.  

Right now we're watching my husband's parents (both 87) declining & they need so much help but absolutely refuse most of it.  Both have memory issues, as well as many physical ailments.  We keep an eye on them, as best as they'll let us, but that's a mess.  It just doesn't seem to stop.  Many days, like today, I wonder how much life is left in me.  All I seem to have is pain.

Skittles412
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2018 12:38 PM

I’m so sorry Pam. You’ve been through so much. You might benefit from counseling to help get through some of your emotions. I understand what you mean about once your LO is gone so is the support. I sincerely hope you find solace in your mind and comfort during your physical pain. God bless you....

Kat