Thinking about one's mortality.
Jim Broede
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2019 9:19 PM

“A small fact: You are going to die....does this worry you?” Markus Zusak

“There is not love of life without despair about life.”
Albert Camus

On a long enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.”
Chuck Palahniuk

“The curse of mortality. You spend the first portion of your life learning, growing stronger, more capable. And then, through no fault of your own, your body begins to fail. You regress. Strong limbs become feeble, keen senses grow dull, hardy constitutions deteriorate. Beauty withers. Organs quit. You remember yourself in your prime, and wonder where that person went. As your wisdom and experience are peaking, your traitorous body becomes a prison.”
Brandon Mull

“I believe that when I die I shall rot, and nothing of my ego will survive. I am not young and I love life. But I should scorn to shiver with terror at the thought of annihilation. Happiness is nonetheless true happiness because it must come to an end, nor do thought and love lose their value because they are not everlasting. Many a man has borne himself proudly on the scaffold; surely the same pride should teach us to think truly about man's place in the world. Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cosy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigour, and the great spaces have a splendour of their own.”
Bertrand Russell

“Accepting death doesn't mean you won't be devastated when someone you love dies. It means you will be able to focus on your grief, unburdened by bigger existential questions like, "Why do people die?" and "Why is this happening to me?" Death isn't happening to you. Death is happening to us all.”
Caitlin Doughty

“Whatever condition we are in, we must always do what we want to do, and if we want to go on a journey, then we must do so and not worry about our condition, even if it's the worst possible condition, because, if it is, we're finished anyway, whether we go on the journey or not, and it's better to die having made the journey we're been longing for than to be stifled by our longing.”
Thomas Bernhard

“The story of my recent life.' I like that phrase. It makes more sense than 'the story of my life', because we get so many lives between birth and death. A life to be a child. A life to come of age. A life to wander, to settle, to fall in love, to parent, to test our promise, to realize our mortality- and in some lucky cases, to do something after that realization.”
Mitch Albom 

I love life. But I wonder if death should be loved, too. An interesting thought. Death. Will free me at last. Might sound like an odd, or even horrid way, to think of life. By embracing the advantages of death. The very thing I’ve feared for most of my life. Couldn’t understand why my dad committed suicide. Thought he had so much to live for. That his problems were easily solved. But now I wonder. If it’s worth enduring the rigors of life. Especially in old age. I suspect. That many, many old people. Commit suicide. The easy way. By merely losing the will to live. Mother probably did that. She decided. At 88. It was no longer worth staying alive. In a nursing home. She had lost so much of what made her life worthwhile. Her friends. Her revered pastimes. Her health. Maybe even her mind. She must have felt. There was no more earthly reason to live. That’s what we all need. Valid reasons. To make a go of life. That’s what I try to do. Day in and day out. And for the most part. I keep finding valid reasons. But some day. Maybe life will become unreasonable. On my terms. Doesn’t mean I’ll commit suicide. In the more traditional ways  I’ll merely give up. And willingly and joyfully surrender. To death. No shameful suicide for me. Instead, I’ll fool everyone. Dying an honorable death. Of neatly arranged natural causes. –Jim Broede

Jim Broede
Posted: Friday, February 1, 2019 6:31 AM

Thinking about life. Rather than death. Keeps me going. The thought. That life must be teeming. In all sorts of form. In our own Milky Way galaxy. Consisting of two billion suns. With an infinitesimal number of planets. That would support life. As we know it. And don’t know it. Beyond imagination.  And then we are told. Of billions of galaxies. Beyond our own.  Think of it. The vastness of creation.  The prospects for limitless life. And I’ve been part of this. Ever so small. Makes me feel humble. And proud, too. For being a grain of sand. That feels alive. That’s far better than nothing. Almost makes me feel divine. Like a god. --Jim

Jim Broede
Posted: Sunday, February 3, 2019 1:01 PM

If I feel like a god. I must be a god. And to think. My Cristina is a goddess. Wow! This is uncanny. But believable. --Jim