RSS Feed Print
Anxiety. At it's worst.
Jim Broede
Posted: Tuesday, February 5, 2019 11:08 AM

Feeling comfortable. That’s my goal. Much more so. Than feeling happy. Actually, I can be unhappy. In the doldrums, so to speak. And still feel comfortable. Because I’m dealing. Effectively. With a difficult situation. Gives me a sense. Of getting somewhere. By relieving my anxiety. Yes, for me. Anxiety is the bugaboo. The curse of life. The unwanted intruder. Easing or controlling my anxieties. Would go a long way. In setting me free. Especially if I do it. On my own. My mind is always working. Maybe far too much. By unleashing my imagination. In negative, anxiety-inducing ways. Imagining worst case scenarios.  Thus the feeling of discomfort.  I know it doesn’t have to be this way.  But still it is. I’m caught in a trap. And I can’t get out. That’s anxiety. At it’s worst. --Jim
jfkoc
Posted: Tuesday, February 5, 2019 11:59 AM

So, you want to share what is going on. We might be able to help.
Jim Broede
Posted: Wednesday, February 6, 2019 12:43 AM

jfkoc wrote:
So, you want to share what is going on. We might be able to help.

Some degree of anxiety is a good thing. Makes me more cautious. More concerned about stuff. Such as health. Or how I deal with life in general. It’s all right to worry. But when one worries too much. It becomes a functional issue. A handicapping anxiety. If it’s not one thing, it’s another. Makes me feel overwhelmed. Ill at ease. Uncomfortable. Not good. Could ruin my day. My week. My life. How do I get out of this trap? By becoming less anxious, of course. But that’s easier said than done. Anxiety is anxiety. A fear. That consumes one’s being. --Jim

Jim Broede
Posted: Wednesday, February 6, 2019 9:12 AM

When it comes down to the bottom line. Life has always been mind over matter. Always was. Always will be. That means making adjustments. On a daily basis. And feeling confident about it. For the most part. I do that well. Well enough, that is. I must not allow age to become a negative factor. Really, one must learn to make it a positive.  Don’t want an albatross hanging around my neck. Makes for a stiff and bothersome neck.  I want to be sprightly. All the time. Physically.Mentally. Emotionally. That’s  a tall order.  Thing is. It can be done. But one has to work at it. A little harder. Mind over matter. So important. To take care of one’s self. Always finding a way. Taking life one day at a time. And going to bed. With a smile. A genuine smile. --Jim
jfkoc
Posted: Wednesday, February 6, 2019 9:21 AM

Reality..the mind can only hold one thought at a time. This is true for all of us. When anxiety stands in our way then it is time to have a chat with a professional. The same for worry and or depression. Please do this and if meds are suggested please get some.

We are not always able to pull ourselves up by our boot straps  because we can't find them. This is a human problem. A change is the choreography is required.  I, more then once, have need a small dose of meds to give me a kick start to help me find a new direction...a new activity or even exercise. 

I do not think you can think yourself out of what you are experiencing. I am willing to bet thinking is part of the cage.

ruthmendez
Posted: Thursday, February 7, 2019 12:41 AM

Jim, do you do any activities?  Group activities? 

Jim Broede
Posted: Thursday, February 7, 2019 4:22 AM

Why is it that I don’t feel right? Without really defining how I feel. It’s a strange sensation. Not knowing whether I am well. Or not well. I feel like myself. And not myself. All at the same time. Maybe it’s because I’m getting older. Changing all the time.  I’m not the same being. That I used to be. I’m able to compare. Who I am now. With who I used to be. Physically. Mentally. Emotionally. Is that the problem? Or am I merely imagining. That it’s a problem. Because I’m trying to figure out. An ongoing change in life. Like passing out of adolescents or middle age. Into still another age. To be experienced. Grasped. In the very midst of transition.  Here I am. Facing another human dilemma. Without being able to fully describe it. That’s why I’m up. At 3-something in the morning. Coping. With whatever is happening. Internally. Externally. Every which way. Do I sound confused? Am I right? In calling it a strange sensation. --Jim
jfkoc
Posted: Thursday, February 7, 2019 9:21 AM

You are still you but ones "you" is always changing.

Go back over your posts for the last 6-8 months. You may be able to see yourself more clearly.

Ruth asks an important question. 

Jim Broede
Posted: Friday, February 8, 2019 3:50 PM

Don’t discount bootstraps. I don’t rule out anything. I have some very strong and long bootstraps. Long enough to wrap them around a lift. I improvise. Imaginatively. I use all the tools available. I even invent tools. --Jim

jfkoc
Posted: Friday, February 8, 2019 6:18 PM

Great, then use them to get out of the mean reds.
Jim Broede
Posted: Friday, February 8, 2019 9:23 PM

I need more frequent reminders. To laugh at myself. To not take myself too seriously. There's an absurd funny side. To life. Think of it. Me bending over. To grab my bootstrap. Only to fall. Face down.  In the mud. Better to slip. On a banana peel. For a cleaner fall. My greatest fear. Is quicksand. The more one struggles. The deeper one goes. But I know. That some of you. Would be there to toss me a rope.  And pull me to safety. I appreciate it. Nice to have friends. --Jim
ruthmendez
Posted: Friday, February 8, 2019 9:50 PM

Jim Broede wrote:
... My greatest fear. Is quicksand. The more one struggles. The deeper one goes. But I know. That some of you. Would be there to toss me a rope.  And pull me to safety. I appreciate it. Nice to have friends. --Jim
Would you accept the rope??  

Jim Broede
Posted: Friday, February 8, 2019 9:52 PM

ruthmendez wrote:

Jim, do you do any activities?  Group activities? 

I've just joined a group. That works out. Together. Three times a week. Joining. Is out of character. For me. We'll see what happens. --Jim

ruthmendez
Posted: Friday, February 8, 2019 9:55 PM

YES! I'm glad you did that.  Jim, I'm almost certain even if you want to leave that new group, that group isn't gonna let you out easy.  I think you're gonna get stuck there.  Rock the boat Jim! Have some fun!  Alright! Let us know how you like it and how the crew is.  If they're cool folks or what.
jfkoc
Posted: Saturday, February 9, 2019 9:19 AM

we have ropes tied all over  you. ..now go exercise and have a cup of coffee....and, a further suggestion, do not talk philoosophy or politics or religion...ask about their families....where they are from...chatter
Andy61
Posted: Saturday, February 9, 2019 9:54 AM

With me being diagnosed with amnestic MCI over 2 years ago, I cant help but have some anxiety about progressing. However, its controlled through my daily 6 mile runs, which also works as well for me cognitively as any meds could ever do. As long as my daily morning exercise routine is not interrupted, my anxiety is not an issue most days. Plus, I have no fear of death, and actually look forward to the day I leave this body and go to Heaven. 

Stay as active as you can, do the things you enjoy, and dont sweat the small stuff is my recipe for fighting off the dragon of anxiety.

w/e
Posted: Saturday, February 9, 2019 1:32 PM

Anxiety. At it's worst.

Hmm... Been there.

To experience Life. To understand Life. To make sense of the gods. Sometimes in the dark. And maintain the courage. To be. To feel. To see. It ain't easy. Specially, when the gods seem to have disappear from sight.

Old Jim, I wish you courage. Serenity. Peace. This leg of life's odyssey can be gigantic in scope.  Some have called it, the dark night of the soul.

I do not know you personally. But I am confident, from having read some of your postings over the years, that you will come out of this wiser.

When we choose to embark on the search of  faith above all faiths, we are in a personal and sacred journey. It is a different kind of journey.

I wish you the very best. I wish that the remaining years of your existence on earth change for the better. I wish for success in your struggle(s). I hope that you overcome some of your anxieties. And have a divine encounter with....???

Kisses and hugs.

Jim Broede
Posted: Saturday, February 9, 2019 2:45 PM

jfkoc wrote:
we have ropes tied all over  you. ..now go exercise and have a cup of coffee....and, a further suggestion, do not talk philoosophy or politics or religion...ask about their families....where they are from...chatter

I get to know people. Very, very well. By questioning them. About everything. Philosophy. Politics. Religion. About their families, too. And where they’re from. In the first 10 minutes  of meeting a stranger,  I know something significant about him/her. By getting to the nitty-gritty. Small talk be damned. Until  learning a significant morsel. Then the small talk begins. Anything they want to talk about. But I want something significant. Right off the bat. And I provide my own significance, too. Something very personal. If they are scared away. By my penetrating inquiry. So be it. My kind of people  aren’t scared away. They are curious and sharing people.  We genuinely want to know about each other. In significant ways. --Jim

jfkoc
Posted: Saturday, February 9, 2019 5:54 PM

Well then, if you met me at your class you would pass me up because I am never going to share anything significant about me to a stranger in the first 10 minutes and I would be totally put off by someone doing that kind of sharing with me right away.  

I think  you miss a lot of interesting people but then I think everyone is pretty interesting given a bit of time.

Jim Broede
Posted: Saturday, February 9, 2019 10:15 PM

jfkoc wrote:

Well then, if you met me at your class you would pass me up because I am never going to share anything significant about me to a stranger in the first 10 minutes and I would be totally put off by someone doing that kind of sharing with me right away.  

I think  you miss a lot of interesting people but then I think everyone is pretty interesting given a bit of time.

It works for me. By the way, I think you are very significant. You have revealed yourself. In many nice and significant ways. And I haven't met you yet. Face to face. But still, it feels like I've met you. I give you credit. For being revealing. And I suspect. Honest. --Jim

Jim Broede
Posted: Saturday, February 9, 2019 10:38 PM

Another by the way, Judith. My approach has worked well with some very, very significant people in my life. Not the least being Cristina. She’s normally quite shy. And leery of strangers.  But we connected immediately.  Significantly. Like magic. Destiny. We were both meant for each other. And knew it. From the start.  Even before we met face to face. In Venice. Ten years ago. Come to think of it. All of my dearest friends are significant.  In their own ways. --Jim

jfkoc
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2019 9:28 AM

I did not say that we can not meet people and have an immediate connection but rather that a 10 minute window is limiting when it comes to possible relationships.

I find how people spend their spare time, hobby, volunteering, the easiest way to know someone.

Jim Broede
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2019 9:58 AM

Pardon  me, please. If I'm looking for an immediate two-way connection. --Jim
Jim Broede
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2019 11:32 AM

We all have maladies. Shortcomings. Nobody is perfect. I would have it no other way. --Jim