RSS Feed Print
Not as enthralling. But easier.
Jim Broede
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2019 12:37 PM

I pride myself. In being able. To write an interesting and reasonably accurate story. About a stranger. That I met only 10 minutes ago. That helped me succeed. As a writer/journalist/newspaper reporter. I had to sometimes size up the situation. Almost immediately. In order to file a story. The same day. No time to waste. It’s a hectic pace. To learn to live by. But there are professions. In which it’s essential. To meet a fast-approaching deadline. Not always, of course. One can do an investigative piece. Or  a feature portrait of a personality. By taking time. Maybe weeks or months. Or forever. It’s good. To have time on one’s side. To proceed cautiously. Carefully. And that’s what some writers choose to do. Usually. That’s easier and more effective and more satisfying. For everyone.  For the writer. And the subject. If I had to do it all over again. I’d slacken the pace. Might even choose another profession. There are easier ways to make a living. Maybe not quite as enthralling. But easier. --Jim

jfkoc
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2019 1:10 PM

I would love to read what you have written about one of the most interesting persons you interviewed.
Jim Broede
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2019 3:14 PM

jfkoc wrote:
I would love to read what you have written about one of the most interesting persons you interviewed.

What I have lived. Is far more important and significant. Than the written word. I couldn’t begin to replicate my real life. In a book (a novel), for instance.  Because books are fabricated.  At least, to a large degree. Built on glorified recollections, at best. Rather than on pure fact. The wonderful nature of my life. Is that it has been lived.  Only by me. I am the only one that experienced my life. That should be satisfaction enough. For me. If I try to convey my life to others. The effort falls short. I’m the only one that sees my life from the inside. The rest of you see it from the outside. You are missing a whole lot. So am I. When I look at you. From the outside.  I don’t penetrate your interior. In that sense, I see you only from a distance.  I see a shadow. And I make calculated guesses. About you.  Probably a mix of right and wrong guesses. Only I know. That I have lived a fulfilled and meaningful life. When I was truly in love. With Jeanne, my wife and constant companion. For 40 years. We became parts of each other. Body and soul, in a sense. Now, for 10 years, I’ve had Cristina. We are constant daily companions, too. Not always face to face. In the flesh.  But we still see each other. And converse. Daily.  Through the wonders of technology. This is how I receive the vibrations of life. The nitty-gritty. That makes me feel alive and in love. Makes me feel that I am living my story. With no need to write in detail about it. On the printed page. Better to live one’s ‘novel.’ Than merely writing the ‘novel.’ It’s more authentic. Being lived. At this very moment. --Jim

jfkoc
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2019 4:45 PM

so, you are not going to share one of your featured portraits?
Jim Broede
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2019 11:41 PM

jfkoc wrote:
so, you are not going to share one of your featured portraits?

https://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-xpm-1994-08-16-9408160084-story.htmhttps://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-xpm-1994-08-16-9408160084-story.html

ruthmendez
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2019 9:43 AM

let me fix your copy and paste here

https://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-xpm-1994-08-16-9408160084-story.html

Jim Broede
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2019 11:08 AM

Thanks for your help, Ruth. I'm not a tech whiz. I'm impressed and amazed by your talents. Like I've said before. Never underestimate yourself. You've got what it takes. To succeed. In life. Proceed. Confidently. --Jim