RSS Feed Print
I don't think he gets it
mrgladd
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2019 10:57 AM

My brother texted the group chat with my sister asking if I'm doing okay. I said, "No, I'm not. I'm back to being severely burnt out."

He responded, "Hang in there!"

Thinking that perhaps he just didn't understand, I said, "I'm afraid I can't do that. Every time Dad asks for a cookie or says his blood sugar is going down I want to run screaming into the night. Also, with daylight savings, Dad is refusing to go to bed at his normal bedtime and so now I have to cancel all my evening plans because of him. I need to stop caregiving before I break."

He responded, "Have you considered an anxyiolitic?"

Nope. He really doesn't get it.

MPSunshine
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2019 5:15 PM

I agree that he doesn’t get it. One of the best pieces of advice I ever heard, and therefore the reason I am passing it on is: if they are acting this way, then treat them as though they are very young children. Explain to the best of your ability, expect nothing, frame all needs for contact from the perspective of the parent, protect yourself in all ways possible. Good luck. Godspeed.
Mrs. O
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2019 12:33 AM

MPSunshine is right. Another piece of advice that I got from this site is that unless the person (your brother) has done exactly what you are doing... for longer than you have been doing it, then you can dismiss their ignorant comments. I can see from your post that you need help. Your brother doesn’t get it, so seek help elsewhere. You’ve got to protect your own sanity. We ALL wait too long to seek help.