RSS Feed Print
Do You Have Favorite Quotes or Sayings?
Jo C.
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2018 8:41 AM

I somehow have begun to gather quotes without intending to.  Here are some of my favorites, I'd love to hear yours too:

No matter your past, your future is spotless.  (Anon)

When you start doubting yourself, remember how far you have come, remember everything you have faced, all the battles you have won, and all the fear you have overcome.  (Anon.)

Willing to is not the same as wanting to, and acceptnce does not mean approval.  (Anon)

Life becomes much easier when you learn to accept the apology you never got.  (Robert Brault)

Forgiveness is unlocking the door to set someone free and realizing you were the prisoner.  (Max Lucadi)

Never take anyone's feelings for granted because you never know how much courage they took to show their feelings to you and trusted you completely.  (Anon)

Ring the bells that still can ring, forget your perfect offering; there's a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in.  (Leonard Cohen in Anthem)

Take each day at a time, cling onto the faith of your own worth and build on it, no matter how slowly or how little each step.   You cannot go backward.  Have the courage to go forward well . . . at the end of each day, praise yourself for that, and then let go . . . rest and hope; never let go of hope.  (Anne Perry)

NOTE:  When my LO reached a state where she was delusion driven, it became necessary to use fiblets to help her; I had a horrible time knowing I was fibbing but it was also very helpful.  Then I saw the following quote and it put a frame around my thoughts:

"Today I bent the truth to be kind.  I have no regret, for I am far surer of what is kind than I am of what is true."  (Robert Brault)

J.

ruthmendez
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2018 12:27 AM

-Time is money.

-It's better to give than to receive (don't really agree with this one).

-What he/she don't know won't hurt him/her.

-I think I can.

-Tomorrow will be a better day.

-Never say never.

-Do you want to be right?  Or do you want to be happy? (Only can choose one)

chrisp1653
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2018 12:35 AM

You cain't taint what ain't.

Richness has nothing to do with what's in the wallet, and everything to do with what's in the heart.

Underdog
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2018 5:45 AM

You can be right or popular, but not both. I've figured out how to be neither.
llee08032
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2018 7:37 AM

If you walk with a lame you will limp.

Beauty fades but dumb is forever. Judge Judy, (19??).

MissHer
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2018 10:05 AM

What comes around, goes  around.

Nobody's perfect, only Jesus.

Don't ever say, "It can't get any worse then this." it surly can. 

Don't NOT do something that you will later regret.

llee08032
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2018 7:55 AM

One day at a time.

We must learn to forgive ourselves quickly. Alz+ (2016)

Don't wait until you are dead to be an angel. Me (2018)

Iris L.
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2018 5:44 PM

Happiness is not having what we want, but wanting what we have.

Living well is the best revenge.

Jo C.
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2018 8:04 AM

Wow, these are some very good ones.

Here is another that I thought interesting; written by a man:

"Be very careful if you make a woman cry, because God counts her tears.  The woman came out of a man's rib.   Not from his feet to be walked on.  Not from his head to be superior, but from his side to be equal; under the arm to be protected, and next to the heart to be loved."

Anon, but connected to the earliest days of working toward women's rights. 

One that makes me smile, from the book, Peter Pan:

"When the first baby laughed for the first time, the laugh broke into a thousand pieces and they all went skipping about, and that was the beginning of fairies.  And now when every baby is born, it's first laugh becomes a fairy.   So there ought to be one fairy for every boy or girl."

James Barrie

J.

llee08032
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2018 8:18 AM

The way we treat people we strongly disagree with is a report card on what we've learned about love, compassion and kindness. Kate Swaffer (2018).

Forgive others not because they deserve forgiveness, but because you deserve peace. Free

yourself of the burden of being an eternal victim. Kate Swaffer (2018).

Jo C.
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2018 12:52 PM

To come from the dark side of the moon; (no, I am not channeling Pink Floyd.)  This is actually a quote from Ingmar Bergman's 1982 film, "Fanny and Alexander":

"The world is a den of thieves and night is falling.  Evil breaks its chains and runs through the world like a mad dog.  The poison affects us all; no one escapes.

Therefore, let us be happy while we are happy.  Let us be kind, generous, affectionate and good.  It is necessary and not at all shameful to take pleasure in the little world."

I think I will pass that one up - it gives me shivers.

Okay, to lighten up and though not quotes, worth a smile or a groan:

"Charles Dickens walked into a bar and ordered a martini.  The bartender asked, "Olive or Twist?"

"The Past, Present and the Future walked into a bar; the atmosphere became very tense."

"Did you hear the one about the obsesssive, agnostic, dyslexic insomniac?  He lies awake at night worrying about whether or not there is a dog."   That one is definitely a groaner.

"Don't pitch a tent and camp out in the gloom."  Anon.

J.

BadMoonRising
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2018 6:58 PM

Never do anything against conscience, even if the state demands it.

Whoever is careless with the truth in small matters cannot be trusted in important affairs.

Albert Einstein

Underdog
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2018 11:09 PM

If I squint my eyes I don't have to use my glasses. It saves me time, but then I have to see the people staring at me in sharp focus.... Underdog
Underdog
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2018 11:35 PM

A wise man once told me that women don't share their troubles because they want advice, they just want an empathetic ear. Now I need a wise man to tell me why women don't want to solve their problems....  Underdog

ruthmendez
Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2018 12:21 AM

Life is like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get. -Forest Gump

My mama said girls are the devil - Water Boy

George K
Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2018 5:26 AM

Underdog wrote:

A wise man once told me that women don't share their troubles because they want advice, they just want an empathetic ear. Now I need a wise man to tell me why women don't want to solve their problems....  Underdog

Underdog, I'm not a wise man, but what I think is that it's not that women don't want their problems solved; it's that they want to solve their problems themselves - they don't want someone else to try to solve their problems for themAt the end of the day, I'm the one who must live with the consequences of my decisions, not the person who gave unsolicited advice, so I understand why wise women want an empathetic ear.  It's been my experience that many of my problems have been solved while talking them out with someone who listens, but who doesn't try to solve my problem for me; usually I try to talk things through with an empathetic woman (or man) rather than a know-it-all man (or woman).

For what it's worth, in the Bible 'wisdom' is referred to as being feminine.

Jo C.
Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2018 9:33 AM

Quotes from Robert Brault:

Better you don't search for who you are until you know who it is you want to find.

If you search the world for happiness, you may find it in the end, for the world is round and will lead you back to your door.

J.

ruthmendez
Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2018 11:32 AM

This is a statement I tell myself when I've had enough and there ain't much else I can do or I just give up and let things run its way....

"It is what it is."

This statement, believe it or not, is therapeutic.  Moping don't do it for me.  Not for long.

ruthmendez
Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2018 11:48 AM

if you can't beat em join em.
ruthmendez
Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2018 2:27 PM

"I'll think about it tomorrow" -Scarlett O'Hara, Gone With the Wind.
Underdog
Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2018 5:21 PM

Sorry George, that was a rhetorical joke based on a stereotypical observation. I know they are pretty much unacceptable and I will adjust to that. I guess it's my generation that is unable to adapt... oops I did it again.

Rest assured I will be more aware of my prejudices, thank you.

ruthmendez
Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2018 5:25 PM

Underdog wrote:

Men are women's problems.  HA!  No way to solve that!

Underdog
Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2018 5:30 PM

I took my grandson to the zoo. I was afraid that he was too young to remember the experience, so I threw him into the alligator exhibit to increase his chances.... Underdog

My philosophy of motivating people is with the carrot and the stick. However, if you hit them with the carrot hard enough, you don't even need the stick... Underdog

All analogies break down eventually, like a submarine when you release a herd of camels in it....  Underdog

llee08032
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2018 6:28 AM

llee08032
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2018 6:35 AM

Keep your thoughts positive because your thoughts become your words. Keep your words positive because your words become your behaviors. Keep your behaviors positive because your behaviors become your habits. Keep your habits positive because your habits become your values. Keep your values positive because your values become your destiny.

-Mahatma Mohandas Gandhi

NJK
Posted: Saturday, June 30, 2018 7:00 PM

My favorite, right now and for a while, from fellow poster; that I am one person in the whole world and the whole world to one person.
Jo C.
Posted: Sunday, July 8, 2018 1:20 PM

"Don't pitch your tent and hang out in the gloom . . ."  Anon.
Lills
Posted: Friday, July 13, 2018 2:21 PM

My 3 favorites:

1)  The Devil whispered in my ear, "You're not strong enough to withstand the storm."     Today, I whispered in the Devil's ear, "I am the storm."

2)    I saw that.    Signed Karma

3)  I walk around like everything is fine, but deep down, inside my shoe, my sock is sliding off. 

ruthmendez
Posted: Saturday, July 14, 2018 12:55 AM

Lills, you reminded me of when I was a kid.  I told my mom once, when she was about to punish me for breaking something or I don't remember what I did to upset her, but when she asked me, "Why did you do that?!"

I said, 

"Because the devil made me do it!"

Somethingelsa
Posted: Saturday, July 14, 2018 10:09 AM

The last number of years when my contemporaries say “ I should have “ or “ why didn’t I “Or “what if” I think of this expression which I love since none of us can redo can we.

Don’t look back you’re not going that way.