RSS Feed Print
It shouldn't matter. But it does.
Jim Broede
Posted: Sunday, December 2, 2018 4:31 PM

Don’t like seeing my favorite teams lose.  Namely the Chicago Cubs and the Chicago Bears. It deflates my morale. Especially if they lose a game. That they could have easily won. If not for a stroke of fate. I call it bad luck. I used to lament. For days. A tough loss. Reviewing every twist and turn in the game. The what ifs. Really, it shouldn’t matter to me. Win or lose. But it often does. Only for a little while now. Not days.  Fortunately, I’ve learned to get over it. Without losing sleep. If a Cubs or Bears team is really bad. I get used to losing. But if a team is good. Like this year’s Bears. The losses come hard. I should really rejoice. That the Bears have an 8-4 record. And lead their division. Through two-thirds of the regular season. They have a good chance to reach the playoffs. But I still anguish. Because those losses. Keep tugging at my heartstrings. Two in overtime. Another by a single point. And still another with the Bears only two yards away from a tying touchdown. When time ran out. Yes. With a little bit of luck. The Bears could be 12-0. The Cinderella team of the National Football League. It’s as if I wish for everything. To go absolutely right. Just so I can savor the taste of my brand of perfection. I want to be spoiled. By the gods. I want the gods to intervene. To give me exactly what I want. Yes. I know that’s selfish.  I should be happy. When the Bears and Cubs win most of their games. Or even if they don’t win at all. I confess.  It shouldn’t matter. But it does. --Jim

markus8174
Posted: Monday, December 3, 2018 6:08 PM

I feel your pain.  I moved to my area, Northeast Ohio,  in the late 70's during the "Cardiac Kids" days of the Cleveland Browns.  I don't think you can say we have had many happy moments in the last 30 years, and since the team "reformed" after moving to Baltimore, the less said the better. The Cleveland Indians managed to take the division last year, but the winning the Central Division is kinda like winning in the Special Olympics. The Cavs?!- about what you'd expect with LeBron gone.  I'm not trying to "one-up" you, but to offer the sympathy of a fellow sufferer.
Jim Broede
Posted: Tuesday, December 4, 2018 6:38 AM

The Cleveland Indians have a darn good team, Markus. And the Cleveland Browns are on the upswing. There's reason to be hopeful. About the future, And the now, too. Think about it. You don't need perfection or everything in your life.  You have a significant degree of love. That's a fact. Savor it. --Jim
jfkoc
Posted: Tuesday, December 4, 2018 9:03 AM

But the best part was the cubby/bear lounge