RSS Feed Print
light(1)
jfkoc
Posted: Friday, December 7, 2018 5:02 PM

It occurs to me that as humans we are affected by light. Probably since the beginning  we have been especially affected by the short days of winter.

Are there things which you do during the short days of the winter? Do you know of customs or traditions revolving around the darkening days?

ruthmendez
Posted: Friday, December 7, 2018 5:26 PM

I'm not aware of any, but the shorter days make me feel I have to get things done in a hurry.  I'm starting to not like these days.

However, your post reminds me of what I was told about my grandmother.  She would do this weird thing every New Year's Eve, where she would place a wash bucket outside and fill it with water.  She would try to see her own reflection beneath the moon's light.  According to her myth, if you didn't see yourself, it is your final year.

Well, scary family story is that on her final year, she did not see her own reflection.  She died young and I guess she was always fearing that she would...

jfkoc
Posted: Friday, December 7, 2018 6:03 PM

The dark days carry a weight with many of the loved ones we took/take care of. It seems to be almost witching. I know I would close the draperies and turn on a lot of lights.

Ruth....interesting. I am going to see if I can google something about the bucket.